Garrison traded to Tampa Bay

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Garrison traded to Tampa Bay

Post by Rumsfeld »

I'll be pissed if we sign Vanek.

I would have been on board with going after him until I watched him for Montreal in the playoffs.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I wonder if Benning is prepared to make a massive offer to somebody on July 1st?

I'm not interested in Vanek. Stastny, now there's a guy I'd like us to get our hands on. He's a legit scoring center who would be able to help Hank.

Lots of cap space to make something happen and have two decent lines to start the year (Sedin-Sedin-Kassian & Bonino-Stastny-?).
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The returns don't seem as bad if you're looking at a rebuild perspective.

Freeing up huge cap space for potential free agents, getting younger players, building up assets via picks, positions opening up for younger guys... all done quickly and boldly.

Now if GMJB can get rid of Burrows contract, he would be god. We don't need anything in return for the biter.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:I'll be pissed if we sign Vanek.

I would have been on board with going after him until I watched him for Montreal in the playoffs.
Stastny, Miller, Moulson come to mind, plus now we got some extra assets to possibly move up in the draft.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

"Change is coming."

Open your mouths and close your eyes, Canucks fans.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

What. The. Fuck?
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

I'm happy about this trade for a number of reasons...

- Garrison is highly overrated...def not the kind of d-man that garners 4.6 a year for half a decade. We dump that!

- we add another poker chip, giving us 4 in the top 50 in this draft.

- this move tells me this regime shares the same mindset I have - time to rebuild and not rehash the same shit. I not so secretly want us to get weaker this year, not better. Build the team for 3-5 years from now, not now.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:What. The. Fuck?
Looks like a certain seven-foot tall season ticket holder is beginning a long, angry drive down from Terrace.

Use your emergency lights bro. :lol:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: - this move tells me this regime shares the same mindset I have - time to rebuild and not rehash the same shit. I not so secretly want us to get weaker this year, not better. Build the team for 3-5 years from now, not now.
Well I wouldn't go that far.

The fact they went after Bonino and Sbisa instead of argubly better future prospects in Etem/10th overall/ Theodore etc., seems to indicate they plan on being in the playoffs next year. The Garrison dump gives them $4.6M to use in free agency.

It would not surprise me to see them move 6+24+50 to get to #1/#2, draft Reinhart, and then throw a mountain of money at a UFA.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Like most here, I was hoping for at least a prospect or him packaged with someone else for a bigger, better trade, but it's done so... :|

'Twas a salary dump, is all. Now how does Benning plan to use that cap space.... :hmmm:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote:It would not surprise me to see them move 6+24+50 to get to #1/#2, draft Reinhart, and then throw a mountain of money at a UFA.
That's my guess as well.

If Florida isn't ready to deal, maybe Edmonton, Buffalo or Calgary are.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The thing about using all that cap space on free agents is that it could come back to bite us in a few years when our young guys re-up. And at best it would make us a bubble team.... the worst kind of team to be right now.

I hope they leave the UFA market alone and bite the bullet on this season. There's one really good player (Stastny) who's going to be the benefactor of a huge bidding war, and by the time our kids are any good he'll be past his prime.

Let's take a fucking run at McDavid.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Mëds wrote:What. The. Fuck?
Looks like a certain seven-foot tall season ticket holder is beginning a long, angry drive down from Terrace.

Use your emergency lights bro. :lol:
:lol:

Nah.....I'm not angry. It's like when you first decide to lose weight, you really want the results, but it sucks starting the diet and looking like a pussy when you first get back to the gym. :P

Honestly I think Garrison is worth the 2nd round pick, and probably not more. And in reality I could care less about this Costello character or the 7th.

It's just a bit surprising to see a guy that was "so highly sought after" when we signed him, get dealt for a 50th overall, more so when we had to throw in the rights to a prospect and a 7th rounder to get it done.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote: - this move tells me this regime shares the same mindset I have - time to rebuild and not rehash the same shit. I not so secretly want us to get weaker this year, not better. Build the team for 3-5 years from now, not now.
Well I wouldn't go that far.

The fact they went after Bonino and Sbisa instead of argubly better future prospects in Etem/10th overall/ Theodore etc., seems to indicate they plan on being in the playoffs next year. The Garrison dump gives them $4.6M to use in free agency.

It would not surprise me to see them move 6+24+50 to get to #1/#2, draft Reinhart, and then throw a mountain of money at a UFA.

True, but because they didn't get better futures in the Kes deal doesn't necessarily mean they didn't want to. I'm guessing we asked for some of the assets mentioned above and had to settle on the deal we got because this regime felt it was best to end the circus now and accept the best deal instead of waiting for something better that would never come.

As for UFA and further moves, you're probably right. I shouldn't say for certain this group is eyeing tomorrow over today until the dust settles. After all they're working for an extremely impatient owner.

I still really like the Garrison deal though. Anybody who thinks we could get higher than a 2nd for him is lost. You could probably get a 1st for Edler and prob Bieksa. To get a 2nd for Garrison is a score imo. And we dump the contract with zero salary retention to boot...bonus!
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Mëds wrote:It's just a bit surprising to see a guy that was "so highly sought after" when we signed him...

I think more accurately put is best available d-man in that crop of UFA's. There's a big difference. I thought he was a little overrated when we signed him and he proved me right, especially last year...brutal!