Canucks Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What do you think will happen for Vancouver re: the 2014 draft...really?

1) Speculation, speculation, and more speculation but really, nothing out of the norm and the Canucks will simply follow thru with selecting their 6th over-all pic.
47%
2) Shits gonna happen man! We're going to find a way to trade up and acquire a higher pick.
29%
3) Who knows, maybe we'll actually trade down and acquire two later picks or some-such.
No votes
4) Don't have clue, but I'll be watchin the draft unfold with a couple of beers and see what happens.
24%

Total votes: 17

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Draft

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I have came to the conclusion that I am way too excited for draft day. So this is what it feels like to be an Oilers fan?

I'll be happy with Draisaitl or Virtanen. Don't think Draisaitl will make it to 6th though...
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I have came to the conclusion that I am way too excited for draft day. So this is what it feels like to be an Oilers fan?

I'll be happy with Draisaitl or Virtanen. Don't think Draisaitl will make it to 6th though...

LOL

Good one

Watch out for those hockey gods and retribution :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I have came to the conclusion that I am way too excited for draft day. So this is what it feels like to be an Oilers fan?
If you think you're excited for this year's draft....
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hockey Widow wrote:
nuckster wrote:Does anyone know what time the drafting actually starts tomorrow? TSN starts with their coverage at 4:30. I'm just wondering cause i may need to find a way to 'slide' out of work early in order to watch it all.

Draft countdown starts at 2:30 our time with draft coverage of round one at 4:00 pm our time. The rest of the draft goes Saturday. Sportsnet is sandwiched between the countdown and the draft.
Thoughtful of you.
Thanks.

Gonna have to find a way to sneak away from 'the man' for an hour or so. :)
Could be fireworks, or could be blaise. One way or another, I don't want to miss it. Seems like there's lots of 'stuff' stirring.
cc oldtimer
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

nuckster wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
nuckster wrote:Does anyone know what time the drafting actually starts tomorrow? TSN starts with their coverage at 4:30. I'm just wondering cause i may need to find a way to 'slide' out of work early in order to watch it all.
Gonna have to find a way to sneak away from 'the man' for an hour or so. :)
Does your husband not like you watching the draft? :?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The Canucks currently have four picks in the top 50 of this year's draft.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

'The man' = traditional slang term for the the employer or the boss....jeeese
cc oldtimer
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

nuckster wrote:'The man' = traditional slang term for the the employer or the boss....jeeese
So you work for your husband too? Must make things a little tense when it comes time to negotiate a raise!
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

dbr wrote:
nuckster wrote:'The man' = traditional slang term for the the employer or the boss....jeeese
So you work for your husband too? Must make things a little tense when it comes time to negotiate a raise!

awesome...
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

herb wrote:The Canucks currently have four picks in the top 50 of this year's draft.
After finishing in the top of the league standings over many of the last 5+ years, we weren't really set up for many quality draft picks other than the trade for Horvat via Schneider, and ofcourse Hodgson x amount of years ago. This will be entertaining for sure. Thing is, we have to remember that most of the picks we see acquired today won't be cracking the Canucks roster for anumber of years yet. Still, it's nice to see the cupboards get stocked up.

With all the dealings that are taking place, it's really hard to fathom what the roster is going to look like even this year.
cc oldtimer
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

OK guys, I'm off to the pub to watch the draft, enjoy, looking forward to it more than I have for a long time with PTL (TiT) GMJB in charge...

Cheers!

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

2nd round starting this morning, here are some potential picks for Canucks #36 and #50,
I just quick summarized some bmac and other website reports.

Forwards:

Barbashev (Russian skilled center)

Brandon Lemieux (LW - Benning type - meat and potatoes North-South wing who can get going a bowl over the defenders on the way)

Hunter Smith (RW - 6'7 gritty power forward type/scrappy, raw skills)

Justin Kirkland (LW - big power forward type)

Brett Pollock (LW - 6'2 - good scorer)

Ryan MacInnis (C - 6'3 - diamond in the rough, potential to be a good center, good skater/decent skills)

Ryan Donato (C/LW - all heart and hustle, mediocre skill)

Dmen:

Roland McKeown (offensive dman, great skater, good transitional game)

Jonathan MacLeod (Johnny Boychuk type)

Brycen Martin (good IQ, skating, fast paced)

Jack Dougherty (doesn't specialize in one skillset, just good all round ability)

Alex Peters (6'3 - mobile dman, poised, good under pressure, effective passer)

Ben Thomas (6'2 - good skater, likes to jump into the attack, make big hit)

Jack Glover (6'3 - defensive dman, physical but not overbearing)

---

If McKeown is there at #36 you take him, otherwise take Lemieux.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.