If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would ya?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If trading Horvat + 6th pick was the only way to acquire the 2014 1st pick, would ya do it?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 am

YES! YES! YES!
18%
NO means NO.
76%
Other (Please explain in post)
6%

Total votes: 49

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Hey Doc, you miss those boxed wines from the great Port Moody vineyard - Andres wines? I bet you were throwing that shit down your gullet like it was going out of style back when you lived across the street from Clark Park
Holy fuck Dood, get a grip, a guy wouldn't survive back in the hood, back in the day, drinking wine!! :shock:

Wasn't til I got to Abby that I got into the wine... just trying to fit in.

Does wine really come in boxes?? :crazy:

Cuz yeah, you keep saying that.

Are ya holed up in the bathroom with the laptop and a bottle of whisky again big guy? ;)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Betamax wrote: Let's see, The Cory was the reigning Team MVP, in his prime of his career, beat out the former franchise goalie who had a "lifetime contract" for the starting goalie job (the most important position in hockey) and he gets traded for just one asset back -- an unproven but decent prospect that isn't "can't miss."
I have to say I agree with you there BM. What the team ultimately paid for Horvat was such a huge investment and gamble ... your'e right. He is far from "can't miss" but dangerously close to "can't fail."

The biggest criticism of GMMG so far is having two of the best goalies in the league one year, and less than a year later having two rookie goalies, a depth center, and an unproven rookie to show for it.

If somehow, GMJB could turn that into a first overall pick then the loss of #1 and #35 don't seem as bad. That being said ... fan's perception means squat and results on the ice mean everything. As we said from day #1 with both Lou and Schneider's deals ... we won't know who really wins the trades for years to come.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:
Betamax wrote: Let's see, The Cory was the reigning Team MVP, in his prime of his career, beat out the former franchise goalie who had a "lifetime contract" for the starting goalie job (the most important position in hockey) and he gets traded for just one asset back -- an unproven but decent prospect that isn't "can't miss."
I have to say I agree with you there BM. What the team ultimately paid for Horvat was such a huge investment and gamble ... your'e right. He is far from "can't miss" but dangerously close to "can't fail."

The biggest criticism of GMMG so far is having two of the best goalies in the league one year, and less than a year later having two rookie goalies, a depth center, and an unproven rookie to show for it.

If somehow, GMJB could turn that into a first overall pick then the loss of #1 and #35 don't seem as bad. That being said ... fan's perception means squat and results on the ice mean everything. As we said from day #1 with both Lou and Schneider's deals ... we won't know who really wins the trades for years to come.
Yeah, as Jimmy Hughson stated on TEAM Radio this morning, the fact that they have talked to Miller is a clear indicator that they aren't completely sold on Lack being a a true No. 1 franchise goalie. Given the small sample size, that's perfectly reasonable line of of thinking.

However, instead of Miller, I'd go with another vet that you could acquire or sign on a short term deal, just in case Lack emerges as a "true No. 1 franchise goalie."

Some options are MAF, perhaps as part of a Kesler deal with Pit where they also acquire Pouliot. Then the Pens sign a Miller who would be there to win a Stanley Cup. :mex:
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

I've thought about this a lot and while I think it's a smart idea to go after a true center piece to build around like Sam Reinhart, ultimately I hope we don't pull the trigger and keep what we have.

My reasons are very simple. It seems that whenever we give up high profile prospects before they've matured it comes back to haunt us (Peca, Umberger, Hodgson, Grabner,..dare I say Neely). If we don't make the move and Reinhart goes on to have a greater career than the guys we kept and drafted, I don't think many of us will look back and regret not making the trade. If we do make the trade, not only do we have to hold our breaths on Bo or Hunter we have to do it with the guy we could have had at 6th…and not to mention Ekblad - you have the 1st overall, you better pick the right guy.

I just don't want to spend the next decade weighing Sam against those other options. Stick with the devil you know.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

So, DCMP was in the house @TEAM1040 and his take was that he would do a Shinkaruk + 6th overall + roster player (he mentioned Hansen) for the 1st overall.

I disagree and I am of the belief that they should retain Shinkaruk and offer either Jensen or Horvat over my guy Hunter who was also interviewed on the station and said he's now at 100% health. 8-)

Anyway, he also mentioned, maybe they should go after the No. 2 pick and try to make a deal with the Sabres, since it seems like every other team that going for No. 1 is going after Ekblad. He talked about GMJB's history with the Sabres but I'm not sure how relevant it is today, since there has been an ownership change and complete chance in their management team. :mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote:So, DCMP was in the house @TEAM1040 and his take was that he would do a Shinkaruk + 6th overall + roster player (he mentioned Hansen) for the 1st overall.

I disagree and I am of the belief that they should retain Shinkaruk and offer either Jensen or Horvat over my guy Hunter who was also interviewed on the station and said he's now at 100% health. 8-)

Anyway, he also mentioned, maybe they should go after the No. 2 pick and try to make a deal with the Sabres, since it seems like every other team that going for No. 1 is going after Ekblad. He talked about GMJB's history with the Sabres but I'm not sure how relevant it is today, since there has been an ownership change and complete chance in their management team. :mex:
Fuck it, give them Edler+6th for number 2. We keep Tanev, still get Reinhart. They get Edler to re-team with Ehrhoff.

Your boner-buddy Shrinkwrap stays in Van-City, we keep Horvat. Everyone wins. (Except Edler, who has to waive, to go to Buffalo. Yeah...........)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tallon confirms Canucks have tabled a very favourable offer for the number one pick. Says two other teams have tabled solid offers as well and hopes 4-5 more will by draft time.

Needs,scoring from right side either wingers or on D. Has had follow up discussions with one of the teams (presumable the Canucks) and odds of trading pick rising but not there yet.

MacKenzie again says Canucks offer is Hunter, the 6th and an unnamed roster player, presumably Hansen but not sure. Will not include Hunter and Tanev both.
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:Tallon confirms Canucks have tabled a very favourable offer for the number one pick. Says two other teams have tabled solid offers as well and hopes 4-5 more will by draft time.

Needs,scoring from right side either wingers or on D. Has had follow up discussions with one of the teams (presumable the Canucks) and odds of trading pick rising but not there yet.

MacKenzie again says Canucks offer is Hunter, the 6th and an unnamed roster player, presumably Hansen but not sure. Will not include Hunter and Tanev both.
I could live with Hansen + Tanev + 6th but losing Hunter will be a step backward. The Canucks will have zero depth on the left winger position.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I could live with flipping Shinkaruk if we get that 10th overall from Anaheim for Kes.

I'm thinking we have a couple very high picks in next year's draft when it's all said and done as well.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Jovocop wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Tallon confirms Canucks have tabled a very favourable offer for the number one pick. Says two other teams have tabled solid offers as well and hopes 4-5 more will by draft time.

I could live with Hansen + Tanev + 6th but losing Hunter will be a step backward. The Canucks will have zero depth on the left winger position.
If the Panthers want scoring on the right side, wouldn't Jensen be the guy they would prefer? He's also more "NHL ready." :eh:

If not, maybe the Canucks will "up" their offer and include their bestest prospect, Bo. 8-)

Besides the lack of prospect depth at LW, they have no prospect that has 1st line scoring potential in their system. Shinkaruk is their only prospect currently in their system that has that possibility. :mex:
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

I like the trading with Buffalo possibility (for the first).... and yeah, it 's likely going to be a long season before we're in a position of acquiring more quality draft picks in '15
cc oldtimer
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

nuckster wrote:I like the trading with Buffalo possibility (for the first).... and yeah, it 's likely going to be a long season before we're in a position of acquiring more quality draft picks in '15
via: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... -top-pick/

Panthers GM: Seventy-percent chance they’ll keep top pick

James O'Brien
Jun 26, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT

The article includes a tweet via: https://twitter.com/garylawless/statuse ... 6260376576
gary lawless Verified account ‏@garylawless

Buff and the #nhljets #9 pick for Florida's #1? Chatter is out there #nhl

5:02 PM - 26 Jun 2014
Bfugly plus the 9th, the alleged offer offer from Jets.

Bfugly was one of Tallon's boys. :mex:

The latest from Eklund via http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/F ... er/1/60911:

Florida at 60%...make that 75% trading Top Pick. Vancouver?
A few hours ago I was told the Panthers are 60% trading the pick...that there had been a change in strategy in Florida...now I am told 75%. The race is afoot!

Hearing the Canucks are a definite possibility.

Stay tuned.
:mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Are we really linking to Eklund now? Get real Betamax. Holy fuck.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

via: https://twitter.com/ctv_kelcey/status/4 ... 4588568577
Kelcey Brade ‏@ctv_kelcey

I'm told the #FlaPanthers were interested in the #Canucks 6th & 24th picks, but apparently weren't interested in Shinkaruk. @ctvvancouver

4:31 PM - 27 Jun 2014
So, what else did they want? Bo? That also would have been too much, IMO.

So are some Alarm Bells raised on Shinkaruk when the Canucks' are allegedly offering him in trade and the other team doesn't want him? :hmmm:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Horvat, Cassels, McCann, Gaunce

ALL two-way centers lol, no game breakers. :(
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.