Canucks Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What do you think will happen for Vancouver re: the 2014 draft...really?

1) Speculation, speculation, and more speculation but really, nothing out of the norm and the Canucks will simply follow thru with selecting their 6th over-all pic.
47%
2) Shits gonna happen man! We're going to find a way to trade up and acquire a higher pick.
29%
3) Who knows, maybe we'll actually trade down and acquire two later picks or some-such.
No votes
4) Don't have clue, but I'll be watchin the draft unfold with a couple of beers and see what happens.
24%

Total votes: 17

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Draft

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Michael Dal Colle reeks of bust. Same goes for Ehlers, at 165 lbs do not see him over coming that

Got a feeling that Perlini will surprise and would not be surprised if Draisaitl ends up being the best player of this class
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

My bold prediction on how the top 10 plays out.....

Florida will take Ekblad if they don't trade down.

Buffalo will stay out or trade down for a star player and 2 picks, regardless they will still pick in the top 15. They will likely go after Ekblad if he's available.

Edmonton doesn't need more kids, they will either trade down or hope that Ekblad is still there at #3.....if not they take Draisaitl.

I've heard that Calgary will want to trade up if they can, but seeing as their cupboards are even bearer than Vancouver's, they may consider trading down if they still end up with a couple of first rounder picks. If they want Florida's 1st overall they will have to give up Brodie and more.

The Islanders probably won't move their pick. They are the first pick in what many consider the second tier of talent in this draft pool. They will look at someone like Ritchie, a big body who adds a physical presence as well as scoring punch. But this is Garth Snow and it wouldn't shock me to see him take Fleury as his defensive prospects are pretty thin.

Vancouver will try to move Kesler for a return including a top 10 or 15 pick and offer a package including the 6th for Florida's 1st. If they can't they will probably take Nylander if he's there at 6th and hope Virtanen is still available later. If Virtanen and Ritchie are gone and Fleury is available then the Canucks should seriously consider taking him as our blue line prospects are very thin indeed. All of this hinges on Kesler being traded and the return. If we only have the 6th and the top 4 are all gone, then they'll take one of Ritchie or Virtanen.

Carolina will either trade down or hope Fleury is available. They need defense now, but will still need it in a few years. Fleury actually fits the bill for quite a few teams that pick 6th or later.

Toronto would love to trade up, but I really don't see that happening. If they pick at 8th they will want some size. No idea who they are looking at, but whoever it is will need to show some two-way smarts. I'll be surprised if they take a defenseman.

The Jets have a well stocked blueline and some good lunch buckets up front. They would love to see a guy like Nylander still available at 9th.

The Ducks probably trade this pick.....hopefully to Vancouver.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I can see Ritchie being a bust in the NHL just because of his weight/fitness, consistency and skating issues. I think it would have to be a pretty significant coming-to-Jesus for him to come around and develop into a true pro.

I don't have too much of an issue with Bennett not being able to do a pull-up. The story goes that neither could Gary Roberts during his first training camp. Apparently the kid does work out and no doubt will use it as motivation.

Nylander and Ehlers strike me as two guys who may turn out as good regular season players but might become a different story when the going gets rougher in the playoffs. Funny to hear (on the TSN feature last night) that there is a question about Nylander's willingness to play a team game versus an individual game.

Draisaitl may become the next Joe Thornton, or the next Cody Hodgson depending on how he acclimatizes to the faster pro game.

Lotta question marks about all the top-10, not to mention the rest of the first-rounders. Depends on what questions/risks teams are willing to accept.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The consensus scouting opinions on Ehlers and Nylander is that they tend to try to do it all by themselves, beat guys one on one and will not be able to do that in the NHL. Not too many guys who can do that in the NHL. If they adapt and learn how to use their teammates more they may turn out decent but Ehlers at 165 lbs , he's
a no go for me.

Virtanen has that bust potential of being nothing more than a Raffi Torres type and Ritchies weight and fitness issues along with skating deficiencies could be a problem for him.
He might only be good for one burst a shift and will lumber around the rest of the shift.

Where the Canucks are picking all the players have some concerns that could turn them into busts, all the more reason to make a move for Reinhart. Once the Sedins are gone we will probably have the worst 1st line in the NHL, so getting 1st liner potentials is a must at this draft

The only way buffalo takes Ekblad is if they move Myers. Buffalo will take Bennett
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:The consensus scouting opinions on Ehlers and Nylander is that they tend to try to do it all by themselves, beat guys one on one and will not be able to do that in the NHL. Not too many guys who can do that in the NHL. If they adapt and learn how to use their teammates more they may turn out decent but Ehlers at 165 lbs , he's
a no go for me.

Virtanen has that bust potential of being nothing more than a Raffi Torres type and Ritchies weight and fitness issues along with skating deficiencies could be a problem for him.
He might only be good for one burst a shift and will lumber around the rest of the shift.

Where the Canucks are picking all the players have some concerns that could turn them into busts, all the more reason to make a move for Reinhart. Once the Sedins are gone we will probably have the worst 1st line in the NHL, so getting 1st liner potentials is a must at this draft

The only way buffalo takes Ekblad is if they move Myers. Buffalo will take Bennett
I'd be over a three way trade involving Kesler if the Canucks can acquire Myers. It would be the asset(s) of Kesler traded to Buf for Myers. :mex:

I mean if the Canucks pull off two big move, get the 1st overall and draft the Son of Paul, then Ekblad falls to Buf. Then they could kinda justify moving Myers and ensure they tank it for one more season to get a future superstar next year. :mex:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

From my perspective comfortably situated on the couch whilst scratching my bag:

Kasperi Kapanen will be the best of the bunch...no need to trade up
If you need air...call it in
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

If Virtanen is still available at #10 I'd be tempted to look hard at Kesler to Anaheim for the pick and a couple of young players. Otherwise I would be nervous about trading him in the division.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Would ya?

via: http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/th ... ua-ho-sang

The curious case of controversial NHL prospect Joshua Ho-Sang
By Steve Simmons, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 04:17 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 04:21 PM EDT

It's a pretty interesting read by Mr. Simmons. Here are some interesting passages from said article:
It’s entirely possible — maybe even closer to probable — that the most naturally gifted player available will not be selected in the first 30 picks.

According to sources, numerous NHL teams have Ho-Sang on their Do Not Draft List.
and
Three years ago, on a gifted Marlies GTHL team, the only difference between Ho-Sang and Connor McDavid was — Ho-Sang was the more electric player. You couldn’t take your eyes off him.

Now McDavid is considered a certainty to go first in the draft next year, as a generational player. And the hockey world is confounded by who Ho-Sang is and what he is all about.

I asked a chief scout with a late pick in the first round whether he would select Ho-Sang if he was available, and without hesitating, he answered no.

When I asked why, he said there are certain criteria his organization values, “and if I picked him, my scouts would all revolt. He doesn’t fit what we’re looking for.”

Said Ho-Sang, in a lengthy interview: “If I was a general manager and had first pick in the draft, I’d pick me No. 1 ... In three years, I’ll be the best player in this draft. And I have no doubt about that. I know myself. I know the other players. I believe in my ability. There are guys ranked ahead of me who are nowhere near me.

“I’m not concerned about the draft (and where I’m picked). I know what’s being said out there. I know people’s skepticism. I’m prepared for that.”
Betamax at times feels like he's uh, the Ho-Sang of this messageboard. 8-)

Anyway, he doesn't seem like the type of player Jim Benning would draft no matter how skilled. Just look at the Seguin and whether he wanted to keep or trade him. Ho-Sang seems like a Seguin but a lot more high maintenance.

But would ya, if you were the Canucks take a chance of hitting a home run or striking out with a guy that could just be the most skilled player in this year's draft?

Now, obviously they aren't going to risk the 6th overall pick on him, but if the Canucks manage to trade Kesler and obtain the 24th overall pick from the Ducks for example or even use their 2nd (if he's still available at that spot) is he a guy you would take a chance on?

Would ya? :mex:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So if he is so good why is everyone staying away? What's the scoop on the guy ?
The only HW the Canucks need
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

I would for sure with our 2nd rounder but suspect someone else will have taken a chance by then.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:So if he is so good why is everyone staying away? What's the scoop on the guy ?
He's a non-conformist and seems like a free spirit that goes against the traditional hockey culture. I mean, you tell me why was PK Subban selected 43rd overall in '07 when his talent clearly has shows now that he should have been a top 2 pick at in the '07 NHL draft if you were going to do a re-draft with the benefit of hindsight .......

Is this a "black and white" issue? :mex:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Every draft year has at least 1 major dud come out of the top 10...NOT picking this player would be huge for this team. Huge.

Who do you think has the highest potential for failing? My bust candidate is probably Sam Bennett... Who can't do a pull up at 17/18? especially after being groomed as a top prospect heading into an NHL draft AND knowing you will have to do one....

Not looking like a future pro imho...but who the hell am I anyway!
I can see Bennett fall to 5th/6th spot after some combo of ekblad/reinhart/draisaitl/mdc, possible Ritchie/Nylander/Ehlers.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11132 ... rustrating

With Hong-Kong heritage and last-name, he'd be a marketing windfall in Vancouver. Ichiro was very popular with the large Japanese population in Seattle. If the article is accurate, I think he's worth a shot. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the right draft pick/position to currently do it. Watch him fall to the Kings...
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Does anyone know what time the drafting actually starts tomorrow? TSN starts with their coverage at 4:30. I'm just wondering cause i may need to find a way to 'slide' out of work early in order to watch it all.
cc oldtimer
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

nuckster wrote:Does anyone know what time the drafting actually starts tomorrow? TSN starts with their coverage at 4:30. I'm just wondering cause i may need to find a way to 'slide' out of work early in order to watch it all.

Draft countdown starts at 2:30 our time with draft coverage of round one at 4:00 pm our time. The rest of the draft goes Saturday. Sportsnet is sandwiched between the countdown and the draft.
The only HW the Canucks need