Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

I guess the only reason you may not qualify him is if you need the contract space.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Dont think Schroeder is going to have a long illustrious career in the NHL. He will make like Potatoes buddy jeff Tambellini and be over seas shortly
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

There's no doubt that Schroeder is very unlikely to have an NHL career at this point.

It still makes sense to qualify him. Worst case scenario is you lose him on waivers. Best case scenario is he provides some sorely needed depth in Utica. Miracle scenario is he makes the Canucks (lol).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I think some team takes a chance with Schroeder, some bottom feeder team maybe Carolina or something.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Canucks actively shopping JS. Will be interesting to see if they qualify him. My guess yes. If he doesn't make the team you waive him then. If he clears he plays for Utica. If not you lose him for nothing, which is what you get if you fail to qualify him. He needs a fresh start but his trade value is nil. Maybe as a throw in to sweeten a deal but that's about it.
Kinda disappointing that he never put it together at this level, but that's the risk you take drafting someone that size. He had his chances and made some plays, but better that he go somewhere else. Odd that this news would come out like this, as I would have figured he would be a throw-in as part of a bigger trade.

I guess we're looking at a return of picks for him at the draft. Such a waste of a first rounder - even Patrick White managed to get pawned off for Erhoff. Let's see what Benden can get for the smurf.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Of course, a bunch of people said the same thing about Grabner.

Schroeder will never make it here, but given a linemate and a coach that plays him to his style, he could play in this league.

Odds are against him, but ya never know.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cole Cassells gets invite to USA junior camp. Not bad for a third round pick. Perhaps we have our future 2nd or more likely, 3rd line centre. If he is half the play maker his dad was he will be a good player for us.

And if he does translate into a solid player for the Canucks down the road we can thank MG for getting this pick as part of the Booth trade. :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

This likely won't be a very popular post but I think the Vancouver Canucks biggest issue is the decline of Henrik and Daniel Sedin.

Whether last season was all on the system played and other intangibles is more or less drawing away from the meat of the problem. They have peaked and will not ever likely come close to being the point machines they once were. Coupled with a 7 million dollar cap hit each and it most certainly has to be the elephant in the room.

I realize how valuable they have been to the team over the years and would like to see our team keep them but the reality is they are now dramatically over paid and keeping the team from moving forward as a franchise.

Thoughts?
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote:This likely won't be a very popular post but I think the Vancouver Canucks biggest issue is the decline of Henrik and Daniel Sedin.

Whether last season was all on the system played and other intangibles is more or less drawing away from the meat of the problem. They have peaked and will not ever likely come close to being the point machines they once were. Coupled with a 7 million dollar cap hit each and it most certainly has to be the elephant in the room.

I realize how valuable they have been to the team over the years and would like to see our team keep them but the reality is they are now dramatically over paid and keeping the team from moving forward as a franchise.

Thoughts?
You're probably right, we will know in 6 months.

Their contracts are definitely boat anchors that we will be hating in 2 years time.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Their contracts are definitely boat anchors that we will be hating in 2 years time.
It really depends on where the cap is at. Right now they'll be 15/16th highest paid forwards in the game. I would imagine that in a couple years they will be in the 20's, as players like Kane ($8M+), Toews ($8M+), Kopitar ($8M+), Benn ($7M+) etc. get new deals.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Mëds wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:This likely won't be a very popular post but I think the Vancouver Canucks biggest issue is the decline of Henrik and Daniel Sedin.

Thoughts?

Their contracts are definitely boat anchors that we will be hating in 2 years time.

This is one area where AV demonstrated superior coaching strategies compared to Torts. Where Torts advocated for 'all my players will be shot-blocking and my best players need to be on the penalty kill as well', AV opted to utilize the Sedin's selectively esp. for offensive zone face-offs/situations. Under Tort's, the Sedin's appeared to run out of gas in the second half of the season - they were spent/over-used/cooked.

So most here would agree with you Uncle Dan BUT it's probably the case that the Sedin's will have value if they're played in selective situations (like 1st string powerplay NOT penalty kills). It's unfortunate we don't have a bonafied second line to to come on and assume first line duty and then have the Sedin's drop into a second line role.

But yeah. many of us have been talking about THIS elephant in the room for awhile now even though there's been a number of parties who really get their backs up when suggestions are made that the Sedin's have indeed had their day and we're now witnessing the decline; add to this the fact that they are guaranteed to receive 14 per over the next couple of seasons. You got to wonder WTF Gillis thinking? While I'm onto Gillis here, did you guys know that he put in a 'no-trade' clause that kicks in on Jannick Hansen's contact this year???!!?? Jannick fuckin Hansen. So apparently there are now 8 players on the roster with NTC's. Gawd.
cc oldtimer
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

nuckster wrote:While I'm onto Gillis here, did you guys know that he put in a 'no-trade' clause that kicks in on Jannick Hansen's contact this year???!!?? Jannick fuckin Hansen. So apparently there are now 8 players on the roster with NTC's. Gawd.
Pretty brutal, eh? Although it is a Modified NTC, so who knows how many teams he can veto a trade to...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

nuckster wrote:While I'm onto Gillis here, did you guys know that he put in a 'no-trade' clause that kicks in on Jannick Hansen's contact this year???!!?? Jannick fuckin Hansen. So apparently there are now 8 players on the roster with NTC's. Gawd.
Will that kick in after we ship him off to Florida?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

As expected, the two most important RFAs are qualified. GMJB must be trying hard to trade Schroeder and Dalpe for something now...
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
The agent for #Canucks forward Zac Dalpe hasn't received his qualifying offer yet this morning unlike Tanev & Kassian.

#Canucks give qualifing offers to Kassian & Tanev - no offer this a.m yet for Jordan Schroeder.

The #Canucks just sent a qualifying offer to RFA Zack Kassian.

The #Canucks just sent a qualifying offer to RFA defenseman Chris Tanev.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

June 30 2013 - Jun 27 2014

Out:
Cory Schneider
Roberto Luongo
Steve Anthony
Ryan Kesler
3rd round pick in 2015
Jason Garrison

In:
9th overall pick in 2013 draft (Bo Horvat)
Jacob Markstrom
Shawn Matthias
Nick Bonino
Luca Sbisa
24th overall pick in 2014 draft
Derek Dorsett
50th overall pick in 2014 draft

I know there are mitigating circumstances, but the list is kind of a downer...

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!