Cap Space?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should Vancouver trade more draft picks away for current talent?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:08 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 13

clearwatercanuck
MVP
MVP

Cap Space?

Post by clearwatercanuck »

Can we now acquire another player because Cloutier is injured ,apparently for the remainder of the season. Gelinas would be nice again, especially because of all the games we have against calgary.
Heavy_P
AHL Prospect

Post by Heavy_P »

I'd rather see a tough stay-at-home defenceman, or a starting goalie come our way. I think we're pretty good on the front lines.
"No, if your jaw were broken, you would'nt be able to talk...and my life would be much easier." - Oracle
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Spending the money on anything but starting goaltending would be the biggest front office mistake in recent history. The team was not willing to cut Cloutier outright, so they must have felt he brought some value to the club--more value than the free agent(s) they could bring in with his salary. That doesn't change because he is hurt. The team needs to spend money to keep reliable starting goaltending. Love him or not, Auld can not be expected to carry the load for this team for the next 50+ games.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Definately, but only for a goalie.
Using that extra cap space on a forward would be the biggest waste of picks and money in Canucks history. We are solid through all four lines.
If worst came to worst, and there was no way for us to aquire a goalie, then I would want a nice big stay at home defenseman to toughen our D up, or a veteran powerplay quarterback Dman.
But most of all, a goalie.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

On my wish list would be goalie that can give us hope in the playoffs. (as much as I'd love to see Cloutier or Auld take us there, I don't see it happening). After that would be a punishing D-man. But the more I think about it, neither option (if available) will be cheap, or possibly even affordable.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

I would tend to agree.. if we cannot upgrade our situation between the pipes then Nonis needs to get this team another tough ass defencemen.. i don't know who is avalible or who is a UFA next year but yeah someone that will help Allen out in front of our net. Jovo does to actually Ohlund alittle but someone that will strike fear into the opposition... Plus when or if Cloutier or hey just when Auld is here maybe we won't need to rely on just out scoring opponents...
I must say though Their team defence seems to have upgraded this year.. When they want to they can play Defense..
I vote from now on when playoffs come we become the stingest team.. But until the playoffs which im pretty sure we will be in (knock on wood) I say we should have the nicest possible plays...

Or hey how much does Chuck Norris make a year maybe he could fit under our cap... we could plante him infront of the net and just stare at the puck when its flying towards him.... im sure at this point the puck will either blow up... or he will just roundhouse kick it to Bert for a breakaway
gobi
MVP
MVP

Post by gobi »

Talking about a tough, stay-at-home defenseman, don't we have Doig in our system? Isn't he suppose to fill that role?
showtyme21
CC Rookie

Post by showtyme21 »

I have a feeling he makes more than $75,000 and would have to be put on waivers before Vancouver could get him. I don't see the Canucks doing this, if this is the case. Again, I'm not sure about this, but I think this is the case
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

A goalie is the obvious choice ... but I think as Rikster has mentioned before ... I would like to see a gritty forward to help us do battle against the teams built like Minnesota and Calgary.

Grizz
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Know what's ironic? If Nonis had indeed only qualified Cloutier in the summer, and spent the extra money on a defenseman as we all wanted, then we'd have a lot less flexibility right now. :lol:

Maybe overpaying Dan was all part of Nonis' plan... :lol:
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

From what I understand Cloutiers salary will always count twards our cap space, but an injury replacements salary (provided less thatn Dan's) will not. Does anyone know if the designated injury replacement has to be a single person, the same position, new addition to the team. Could DN designate say Salo and Allen and their associated 2.5m contracts as Clouts injury replacement or does it have to be 1 guy who is a goalie brought in to replace clouts roster spot? I know nobody knows for sure but if you've heard anything from reliable sources...
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

im not positive but i haven't heard any restictions on who a team can bring in. that would be interesting to know though