Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:Thornton is a no go, we already got Sestito whose our tough guy who can somewhat play and provide a lot of grit/energy on the 4th line.

All we need a energy guy who has some scoring ability/passing and relentless checking attributes for the 4th line RW.
Like the Hawks Ben Smith or Kings Trevor Lewis.
Tootoo?? He will be bought out by the Wings and could come cheap. The Canucks could once again be the most hated team in the NHL... :mrgreen:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ClamRussel wrote:
I really don't see how Mattias fits in on this team. LW? Instead of who? Our 3rd line better have Higgins & Hansen on it...perhaps Santorelli is in the 3 spot but he just very well may be our 2C depending on what .
I agree Clam, Matthias is another classic 2nd line 3rd line confused tweener that Gillis obsessed about. Benning and Linden are pushing for players playing defined roles, exc at those roles and seem to desire the classic 2 scoring lines, an energy, mucking, rugged 3rd line and tough grinding 4th line. Do not see where Matthias fits there. Matthias reminds me of lousy version of Greg Adams, if he was a little more skilled - Great, or if he was tougher - Great. But he is not, this is the same that applies to what I hate about Garrison, just not enough of something that makes him valuable. Just another amazing Gillis Tweener
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Here's a possible scenario I could see happening:

Kesler to the Pens for Pouliot + Sutter
Bo + 6th pick for 1st overall and 3rd/4th rounder and the Canucks use it draft The Son of Paul

The Canucks then have a potential 1C and top pairing offensive Defenseman of the Future. Sutter takes over the role of what Bo would have provided. Or maybe the Canucks' could flip Sutter plus the 6th pick and add a bit more to acquire the 1st overall and then the Canucks can have a combo of The Son of Paul and Horvat as a 1-2 or 1-3 punch in the future. :mex:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

D Umburger has apparently given Columbus a list of teams he does not want to go to. I suspect Calgary is high on that list.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Didn't Lindenning say Horvat would most likely play on the wing?

A week or so ago, dunno could be wrong....
I didn't see that, plus we got way to many wingers as it is, BoHo staying center.
Mëds wrote:
I will be surprised if both of Higgins and Hansen are on the team come October. I would like to see Higgins traded, and it strikes me that he is the kind of player that Benning will move out as he just doesn't seem to have that second gear or consistency. I also think that one of Mathias or Kassian or Jensen can replace his production.
Nah, Hansen is the odd man out now with Kassian and Jensen rising up the ranks.

Higgins at least can score and pass (40pts a season), a superb vet 3rd liner with ability to step up to 2nd line for spot duty when/if injuries occur, honeybadger on the other hand can be really frustrating to watch with his lack of scoring ability, he's now redundant and overpaid, on a stacked Cup team he'd be perfect for the 4th line RW spot, too bad he's making $2.5M per.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Topper wrote:D Umburger has apparently given Columbus a list of teams he does not want to go to. I suspect Calgary is high on that list.
I wonder if his no-trade list can include "whatever team Ryan Kesler is on".
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mondi wrote: That Sutter player in Pittsburgh has 6 NHL seasons under his belt and has never scored more than 21 goals and 40 points (five years ago). He is small upgrade on Sean Matthias and not welcome on my version of the Nucks.

Just say NO to perennial 15-goal third liner centre for Ryan Kesler or any other former all-star Canucks.
Agreed. Especially as he's an RFA and likely to want $3.5-$4M and has a $2.7M Qualifying Offer.

He will not be a 2nd line centre on a good NHL team, and we have enough tweeners. IMO guys like Richardson, Matthias and Horvat should be able to manage the bottom-2 C spots.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote: 1st - Hank
2nd - _____
3rd - Matthias is better off at LW _____
4th - Richardson is a superb 4th line C.

Horvat has a 50/50 shot at making it.
Gaunce is better suited in the AHL.
Cassels isn't ready I assume.
Didn't Lindenning say Horvat would most likely play on the wing?

A week or so ago, dunno could be wrong....
Horvat is very good defensively and the best faceoff man in the CHL. He's a center through and through. On team Canada he played center and it was Reinhart who was moved to the wing, even though everyone says Reinhart is a center in the NHL.

Bo will surprise this year I think, he's a very good prospect and should be ready for the NHL assuming he puts in the required work this summer.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Higgins at least can score and pass (40pts a season), a superb vet 3rd liner with ability to step up to 2nd line for spot duty when/if injuries occur, honeybadger on the other hand can be really frustrating to watch with his lack of scoring ability, he's now redundant and overpaid, on a stacked Cup team he'd be perfect for the 4th line RW spot, too bad he's making $2.5M per.
let me ask you this Me Oh Skyo, are you satisfied with Higgins starting somewhere on the top 2 lines? what does that say about our top 2 lines? Not much. Is Higgins, the rugged, mucker, grinder, grit and sandpaper you want for the 3rd line that Linden and Benning want? If you are sober, you would say No. So tell me, where does a tweener like Higgins fit? During a rebuild he is taking a roster spot from a kid who has a higher ceiling. He is pointless. Mark my words, he will not last under the Bendin/Lindenning regime
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:
SKYO wrote: Higgins at least can score and pass (40pts a season), a superb vet 3rd liner with ability to step up to 2nd line for spot duty when/if injuries occur, honeybadger on the other hand can be really frustrating to watch with his lack of scoring ability, he's now redundant and overpaid, on a stacked Cup team he'd be perfect for the 4th line RW spot, too bad he's making $2.5M per.
let me ask you this Me Oh Skyo, are you satisfied with Higgins starting somewhere on the top 2 lines? what does that say about our top 2 lines? Not much. Is Higgins, the rugged, mucker, grinder, grit and sandpaper you want for the 3rd line that Linden and Benning want? If you are sober, you would say No. So tell me, where does a tweener like Higgins fit? During a rebuild he is taking a roster spot from a kid who has a higher ceiling. He is pointless. Mark my words, he will not last under the Bendin/Lindenning regime
LOL .... on "Bendin/Lindenning regime." I might just adopt that with your permission. 8-)

Regarding Higgins, yeah ... I think one of Higgins/Hansen is shipped out before the season begins. Of the two, I'd probably want to keep Hansen over Higgins. :mex:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Ship Hansen and Higgins off at the deadline or sooner for second rounders. We're gonna be in the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes anyway. ;)

Keep building that young prospect pool baby, keep increasing the odds of getting some great players outside of the first round.

Sell sell sell.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Higgins is cheap labour for good secondary scoring. He can fill in on the top 2 lines in the event of injury. He can play special teams and is a very popular player on the team. There is no reason to deal this player unless a good return is coming back. Hansen has brick hands and is no more physical than Higgins is. HE should be dealt this summer.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:Ship Hansen and Higgins off at the deadline or sooner for second rounders. We're gonna be in the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes anyway. ;)

Keep building that young prospect pool baby, keep increasing the odds of getting some great players outside of the first round.

Sell sell sell.
I think they could sell it to a lot of the "educated" fan base.

But can the Bendin/Lindenning regime sell that to ownership? :mex:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Higgins is cheap labour for good secondary scoring. He can fill in on the top 2 lines in the event of injury. He can play special teams and is a very popular player on the team. There is no reason to deal this player unless a good return is coming back. Hansen has brick hands and is no more physical than Higgins is. HE should be dealt this summer.
Listen Blobby Beer guts, I don't get your weird man love for Chris 'disappear in the big game' Higgins. Has he ever fought? He's too nice, thus city has a weird obsession with nice guys. At Least the Honey Badger loses his nut once in awhile and gets scrappy do like
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mondi wrote:DOPE RIGHT?!
It would be if this was 2010.