Do you use the "N" word?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Do You Use The Word 'Nigger'?

yes
24%
no
76%

Total votes: 21

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The tall dominatrix has it correct. These insults and slangs are all equally offensive and should not be tolerated. Nobody should have to be discrimated against, but it happens every day .
nucks_girl wrote:
Spidey wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Why is nigger more offensive to some than "hindu" or "chink"........... or "paki" ? These slangs should all be equally offensive shouldn't they ?
Why?

Did these you speak of go against their will from their homelands into slavery and stripped of all human rights forced to work, was raped and oppressed for centuries and called 'nigger' as a nickname for useless, owner-less, right-less human being?
[/b]
maybe you think nigger is more offensive because you know more about the history of it than of other minorities. do you know why east indians are called "FOB's"? do you know when people actually started using the term "pakis"? theres many others pertaining to other cultures, but no one is worse than the rest. they are all equally offensive to the person who has to hear it...
Spidey
AHL Prospect

Post by Spidey »

nucks_girl wrote:maybe you think nigger is more offensive because you know more about the history of it than of other minorities. do you know why east indians are called "FOB's"? do you know when people actually started using the term "pakis"? theres many others pertaining to other cultures, but no one is worse than the rest. they are all equally offensive to the person who has to hear it...
FOBs?
That is the first time I have ever heard that applied to a specific race or creed.
FOB, as when as I was younger was applied to all new immigrants no matter what skin colour or language spoken to stand for "Fresh Off Boat" or "First Off Boat". It is not a racial connotation in the least.

"Paki" was an ignorant term used by westerners as lumping all South East Asians as Pakistani.
As Native North Americans were incorrectly called "Indians" as Columbus thought the New World was "India"

Some, incorrectly and insultingly call me an "Easterner" because I reside in Upper Canada. When in fact I was born in Western Canada and lived most of my life there.

That brings me to a point I would like to make. I take great pride in playing the devils advocate and engaging people in social settings debating the word 'nigger', 'racism' and 'discrimination'.
Although I have connections to an "Indian" race (neither East, West nor Native, I will not say at this point...) I do not believe in "Racism".

As some have pointed out. It is a scare word said to elicit a reaction.

There are many forms of "Discrimination" and to single one out is to do a discredit to many who are discriminated against daily.

That said, all forms of discrimination are bad and should not be tolerated.
With the expunging of "Discrimination" all sub-genres will disappear as well.

If you discriminate against me because of my white skin colour is it still 'racism'?

If you discriminate against me because of my geographical location is that called geoism?

No.

My point is, and it has been since I started this long post, that if you use the word 'nigger' we should all feel discriminated against if no one speaks up. It should not just insult and hurt Afro-Canadians but all of us if we do not like to be discriminated against because we are 'tall', a Canucks fan', 'beautiful' or 'wear orange and have the name Tom'.

Any form of discrimination is wrong and that should be the focus of the PC and special interest groups, not the symptoms of an intolerant society.

Thank You

ArachNoPhobe
CanuckCentral Refugee Claimant
Spidey
AHL Prospect

Post by Spidey »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:The tall dominatrix has it correct. These insults and slangs are all equally offensive and should not be tolerated. Nobody should have to be discrimated against, but it happens every day .
nucks_girl wrote:
Spidey wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Why is nigger more offensive to some than "hindu" or "chink"........... or "paki" ? These slangs should all be equally offensive shouldn't they ?
It only happens if we let it Blob.

Sometimes we, as a collective community, have to say enough is enough and do something about it if we are to change the bar for tolerance.

I myself, will speak out in public. That is my nature. Sometimes it gets me in shit, sometimes people tell me to go fuck myself and stay out of thier business but I say waht I feel and I am not affraid to go against the status quo of intolerance (like when a 'white' group tells 'black' jokes after thier 'black' friends aren't around -it just ain't cool man...it's cowardice...). Sometimes, not all the time, it encourages a good healthy discussion on what is right and what is wrong. No law suits, no 911, just a spoken dialogue (much like this one) that gets people thinking.
It won't change over night but it will evolve if we engage each other instead of hiding in shells like Verve did by deleting his post. :roll:

ArachRockArachRoll
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

another context in which I've heard the word nigger used is when someone refers to a compromised repair, i.e. I couldn't fix the muffler on the car so I just niggered it together(duct tape & wire)

some good points spidey.personally I feel some people get a little carried away with political correctness. I believe (as I'm sure most people do) that there are good and bad people in the world and the colour of their skin has nothing to with it.
And for those who think otherwise,they should be pitied (if done in ignorance) or despised(if done in spite)

I don't use the word unless I'm quoting someone else, unfortunatly chink seems to be my weakness, as I find myself using the term once or twice a week in traffic(never in public),while I despise myself for doing this (even though I know better) and have asian friends(whom I'm sure would be offended if they ever heard me use the term) I still catch myself using it.
Perhaps the words written in this thread will be helpful
Spidey
AHL Prospect

Post by Spidey »

dangler wrote:another context in which I've heard the word nigger used is when someone refers to a compromised repair, i.e. I couldn't fix the muffler on the car so I just niggered it together(duct tape & wire)

some good points spidey.personally I feel some people get a little carried away with political correctness. I believe (as I'm sure most people do) that there are good and bad people in the world and the colour of their skin has nothing to with it.
And for those who think otherwise,they should be pitied (if done in ignorance) or despised(if done in spite)

I don't use the word unless I'm quoting someone else, unfortunatly chink seems to be my weakness, as I find myself using the term once or twice a week in traffic(never in public),while I despise myself for doing this (even though I know better) and have asian friends(whom I'm sure would be offended if they ever heard me use the term) I still catch myself using it.
Perhaps the words written in this thread will be helpful
Wow, thanks for being so honest D-man. It's refreshing for a change :)

You are pretty close to my philosophy, which is , if you can't say it to the targets face then don't say it.
That said, when someone of Asian origin cuts me off on the road I yell out at the top of my lungs

"Dee-Lee Lo-Ma!!!!!!

Which, if you ask a Nationalist Chinese (Taiwan) person is a pretty bad insult in any language. Is it immoral? Perhaps :twisted: But at least I get my point across about thier bad driving without insulting thier race ;)

ArachLookingForSolutionsInThisCrazyWorldLikeEveryOneElse
Bertmondi
AHL Prospect

Post by Bertmondi »

Although this topic has little place on a website like (nor do preachy posts about how people "ought" to act") I will weigh in on this topic.

The word "nigger" has some serious connotation and I personally prefer not to use it in any serious context if at all.

The word "nigga" however doesn't bother me in the least. It seems like a term used to denote friendship or brotherhood and is used by a number of singers, rapper and entertainers. It's use does not bother me and I occasionally use it with my buddies -- but in know what do I mean to offend anyone when I do use it.

As for which "racist" or "discriminatory" word is worse...that is up for debate. But to me the victim society we live puts a premium on being a victim of the "tyranny of the majority" so those that cannot stand the sound of a particular word bother me insofar as their skin is too thin. Words are words and if you let them get under your skin too much you're wasting your time.
Spidey
AHL Prospect

Post by Spidey »

Bertmondi wrote:Although this topic has little place on a website like (nor do preachy posts about how people "ought" to act") I will weigh in on this topic.

The word "nigger" has some serious connotation and I personally prefer not to use it in any serious context if at all.

The word "nigga" however doesn't bother me in the least. It seems like a term used to denote friendship or brotherhood and is used by a number of singers, rapper and entertainers. It's use does not bother me and I occasionally use it with my buddies -- but in know what do I mean to offend anyone when I do use it.

As for which "racist" or "discriminatory" word is worse...that is up for debate. But to me the victim society we live puts a premium on being a victim of the "tyranny of the majority" so those that cannot stand the sound of a particular word bother me insofar as their skin is too thin. Words are words and if you let them get under your skin too much you're wasting your time.
Soooooooooo if I called an out and out pedophile you wouldn't be mad at me?! :roll:

I agree, 'nigga' is an evolution of the word 'nigger' and is used more in terms of affection by all races... I have seen this in other generations of words as well and in other cultures (heh heh, use to study archeology and anthropology in another life :) )

Disagree on the thin skin comment because if you call an 11 year old a 'dumb nigger' he will be hurt by it. So your therory, doesn't hold up under scrutiny I'm affraid.

ArachTest
Bertmondi
AHL Prospect

Post by Bertmondi »

If you called me a pedophile you'd be wrong.

As far as calling a child something, there is indeed a difference because they are not yet old enough to understand the foolishness of such a statement. In other words children that cannot understand the concepts cannot be included in my theory.
rex19
AHL Prospect

Post by rex19 »

no hockey................phewy
Diehard
AHL Prospect

Post by Diehard »

Can we please close this topic? I haven't read it and have no desire to, it's just that every time I go on the front page and see this thread's title in the recent postings it makes this board look like it's for 5 year olds, even if it is a serious discussion.
rex19
AHL Prospect

Post by rex19 »

not sure that request shud be adhered too.. While it may be a disheartening subject, those participating have a right to do just that.
Now, if people respect your request and quit, excellent but you have a choice and I dont think IMHO that you have a right to stop it, you can ask though.......

maybe the mod's can re-name it or maybe left ALONE it would simply "go away"

rex :D
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

How about these cartoons from Nationally Syndicated cartoonist Aaron McGruder?

For those that haven't read the Boondocks, it's one of the best comics out there.
http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Diehard
AHL Prospect

Post by Diehard »

If the mods want to change the subject line then that's fine with me. I just hate seeing it in the new messages every time I load up the board, it makes me cringe.

I'm all for talking about whatever you want to talk about, just don't want to see that word all the time.
rex19
AHL Prospect

Post by rex19 »

Diehard wrote:If the mods want to change the subject line then that's fine with me. I just hate seeing it in the new messages every time I load up the board, it makes me cringe.

I'm all for talking about whatever you want to talk about, just don't want to see that word all the time.
I dont like to se the words"millionaires & billionaires fighting" and NO HOCKEY either. Life deals ya cards and you play them

rex :idea:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Thanks for changing the thread name.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.