Who Can Be The Canucks New Head Coach?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farley
AHL Prospect

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New Head Coach?

Post by Farley »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I'm still hoping for Winterhawks coach Mike Johnston. Former Vancouver Canucks associate coach, obviously a good teacher looking at Portlands recent success, knows Utica coach Travis Green well as he developed him in Portland.

He probably wouldn't be afraid of the younger players and would help integrate them into the lineup. At the same time, it's unlikely he'd threaten the older guys, as he is familiar with the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, and Bieksa from his assistant coaching days in Vancouver.
Always leery of assistant coaches getting promoted - they usually had a different relationship with the guys that the head coach can't have.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Farley wrote: Always leery of assistant coaches getting promoted - they usually had a different relationship with the guys that the head coach can't have.
Normally, I'd agree, but this is a guy who's been away from the NHL and the Canucks for a while, has one of the best Junior records going, and has a proven record developing young talent. It's not like they're taking one of Torts assistants and making him HC. Look at the impact a guy like Roy had, coming from the Junior ranks, on a young Avs this season. The Canucks are a more veteran team, granted, but we absolutely need an infusion of youth and Johnston is someone that should know how to deal with that.

I think having someone that knows the vets could be able to bridge that gap and get them (at least the ones left to start the season :lol: ) to "buy in" to a youth movement.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Then why not look at Gulutzan? - NHL experience, recent experience in the ECHL and AHL. He knows the players already, so we don't have another year of a coach trying to figure out who's who.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Cornuck wrote:Then why not look at Gulutzan? - NHL experience, recent experience in the ECHL and AHL. He knows the players already, so we don't have another year of a coach trying to figure out who's who.
He's been credited with the development of Kassian but I think he's too closely tied to the previous coaching staff failures, even though he seemed to be "appointed" as an Associate Coach by Michael D. Gillis to work along side Dumb and Dumber. :mex:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

In fact he was so closely tied to the previous coaching staff that he was retained while they were fired.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Cornuck wrote:In fact he was so closely tied to the previous coaching staff that he was retained while they were fired.
I meant it more like guilty by association. Even though he was clearly an outsider, the third wheel to Dumb & Dumber, he was still a part of their failures. Ownership can't sell that to the fanbase. Somewhat similar, IMO, to why Gilman wasn't promoted. :mex:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Wait so did GMMG get fired ??

WTF..

(smile)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The players agent will go down as one of this organizations worst GMs, it's easy to surmize the agents legacy here by looking no further than what the amazingly good crop of young players on the verge of their prime the previous management to Gillis had left him and compare that to the shithole situation the players agent has left for Benning. Ouch. Jack Gordon you have been dethroned.

He inherited a team that was the envy of the league and left behind a disaster. Wow, what a drop!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Puck Dynasty
AHL Prospect

Post by Puck Dynasty »

RoyalDude wrote:The players agent will go down as one of this organizations worst GMs, it's easy to surmize the agents legacy here by looking no further than what the amazingly good crop of young players on the verge of their prime the previous management to Gillis had left him and compare that to the shithole situation the players agent has left for Benning. Ouch. Jack Gordon you have been dethroned.

He inherited a team that was the envy of the league and left behind a disaster. Wow, what a drop!
The Canucks were hardly the "envy of the league" when Gillis took over. Their "amazingly good crop of young players on the verge..." consisted of Schneider, Grabner, Raymond, Hansen, Edler, Kesler, and to a lesser extent the Sedins, Bieksa, and Burrows, who were all in their mid-late twenties at that point. They became the envy of the league in 2010/2011 when Gillis augmented the roster with additions like Samuelsson, Malhotra, Ehrhoff, Torres, Hamhuis, Lapierre, and Higgins. He is also responsible for leaving Benning with Tanev, Corrado, Lack, Markstrom, Gaunce, Cassels, Jensen, Horvat, and Shinkaruk. An overall younger, and dare I say more talented, group than he inherited from Nonis/Burke.

He is not even close to Jack Gordon.

He did make a few blunders, he was determined to follow the Detroit model, develop from within, win with skill, and consistently be competitive. He went off the board with some of his picks too, just like Ken Holland has in Detroit. However, after being entirely dominant during 2010/2011, Gillis became so fixated on the fact that they came so close that he just lived there. 2011 was never far from his head, and he routinely referenced it in press conferences. He failed to see that some of his players were about to decline, and that others were unable to produce in a league where the direction had changed back towards the slower, trapping style, hockey. He also over valued his assets, and I think that he became to attached to some of his guys, not unlike Burke from 2000-2003.

Seriously, Jack Gordon?
Last edited by Puck Dynasty on Sat May 31, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Potatoe1 wrote:Wait so did GMMG get fired ??

WTF..

(smile)
Pots funny......he grew a goatee and that was that
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Puck Dynasty, this may come as a shock to you, your boi Gillis was just fired. Just after the entire GM Place crowd was chanting "FIRE GILLIS". It was so bad, your boi Gillis got up and left his box. You have to suck pretty massive for that to happen

So uh, the previous management to Gillis players - hank Sedin, dank Sedin, Luongo, Kesler, Burrows, Salo, Edler, Bieksa, Schneider, Hansen, Raymond in the prime of thèir careers had nothing to do with that cup run, or should I say played a lesser role than Gillis guys? Interesting

When Gillis was put to the test to fix things himself when the luxury of previous managements workings started going stale, he failed, he was found out, he was a sham, bottom line. Hello Benning!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:Hey Puck Dynasty, this may come as a shock to you, your boi Gillis was just fired. Just after the entire GM Place crowd was chanting "FIRE GILLIS". It was so bad, your boi Gillis got up and left his box. You have to suck pretty massive for that to happen

via: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/canucks-fans-in-fi ... -1.1757861

Uh, so do you know the guy holding up the sign?

Or was that you? :mex:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote:Wait so did GMMG get fired ??

WTF..

(smile)
Yup but wipe that smile off your face because apparently MG ran off with dude's wife!!

Yeah, the ranting won't be ending anytime soon. :hmmm:

Welcome home Potski. :thumbs:

Yeah, every second poster is GM now buds so welcome to HELL!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Puck Dynasty
AHL Prospect

Post by Puck Dynasty »

RoyalDude wrote:Hey Puck Dynasty, this may come as a shock to you, your boi Gillis was just fired. Just after the entire GM Place crowd was chanting "FIRE GILLIS". It was so bad, your boi Gillis got up and left his box. You have to suck pretty massive for that to happen

So uh, the previous management to Gillis players - hank Sedin, dank Sedin, Luongo, Kesler, Burrows, Salo, Edler, Bieksa, Schneider, Hansen, Raymond in the prime of thèir careers had nothing to do with that cup run, or should I say played a lesser role than Gillis guys? Interesting

When Gillis was put to the test to fix things himself when the luxury of previous managements workings started going stale, he failed, he was found out, he was a sham, bottom line. Hello Benning!
I think you misunderstand, I was ready to see Gillis before the lockout. The team had just won a President's Trophy but they weren't looking nearly as sharp as they had the year prior. Then the Kings chased Vancouver in 5 games! Gillis then proceeded to bungle the goaltending situation that was created in that series. He was over valuing his players and stuck in the past. He should have been fired at that point and the team should have gone in a different direction coming out of the lockout. It didn't happen, c'est la vie.

My rebuttal to your "Jack Gordon" diatribe was simply to temper your perspective. Gillis was a good GM up until the trade deadline of 2012. He then got progressively worse with his moves and non-moves.

You claimed that Gillis inherited a team that was the "envy of the league" that boasted an "amazingly good crop of young players on the verge of their prime", you then compared that to "the shithole situation" that Gillis has left for Benning. This is simply not true.

The young talent that the Canucks had when Gillis took over was better in terms of who was already on the active roster. The Sedins were already in their prime, they were approaching 30 years old. Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, Raymond, and Hansen, were in their early to mid-twenties. Coming up behind them were Grabner and Schneider, but not much else. Gillis walked into a team that had a couple of "ready now" pieces in the Sedins and Luongo, and a handful of players who were "ready tomorrow". The farm was essentially an empty barnyard.

Benning has inherited some aging players, no question, but he has a much deeper prospect pool to work with, and some of them project very nicely.

As far as the core and initial roster are concerned Gillis started strong, and he was dealt a good hand, he ran with it for a while but he stayed when he should have folded and he finished badly.
canuck4life16
AHL Prospect

Post by canuck4life16 »

I think Pierre is good choice.

he make me laugh so hard on TSN! hahahaha!
Why are you guys, uh, so mad bro?