Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby Betamax » Sat May 10, 2014 10:42 am

RoyalDude wrote:Somebody needs to tell bro Jake that he isn't funny. His jokes are the worst, what's with his long drawn out fake laugh ? How the fuck did he ever get on radio? I don't get it.

He's mastered Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People." His Shtick is to be the class clown and apparently it works, since it seems like the people he associates with, like the guy. 8-)
"The Prodigal Son has returned."
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Wed May 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Betamax wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Somebody needs to tell bro Jake that he isn't funny. His jokes are the worst, what's with his long drawn out fake laugh ? How the fuck did he ever get on radio? I don't get it.

He's mastered Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People." His Shtick is to be the class clown and apparently it works, since it seems like the people he associates with, like the guy. 8-)

Class clowns are usually funny. Jake is not.

As an asside, Matt Sekeres and Ian McClutchey should get together and cut a deal with MSA and get their adenoids yanked. Either that or lay off the fucking blow. Seriously are their two more nasally voices on the airwaves these days ? The other day "Clutch " said after the Jim Benning hire that the Canucks had a shooort list of Trootz, Weelie Dhejardeen, Steeevens and Dagudah (Doug Houda ) for the head coaching position. When it's that hard to make out what these people are saying on the radio , perhaps the station could employ people who don't have horrible speech impediments.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:28 pm

via: http://thelegionofblog.podomatic.com/en ... 7_06-07_00

Allegedly, the former regime of Michael D. Gillis and Gilman, uh, "encouraged" (No. 1 Canucks Beat Writer) Botchford to get into a twitter wars with Toronto Star Columnist Damien Cox. LOL. 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:49 am

Betamax wrote:

I will say that Bro Jake has improved by 100% since his inauspicious debut as a Sports Talk Show host. It was God awful the first couple of weeks, and the daily episodes of the CHAMP was painful.

They've since retired the CHAMP and stopped the scripted/fake comedic segments and the Bro has improved as a host that it's actually listenable these days. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Reefer2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:35 am

Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:

I will say that Bro Jake has improved by 100% since his inauspicious debut as a Sports Talk Show host. It was God awful the first couple of weeks, and the daily episodes of the CHAMP was painful.

They've since retired the CHAMP and stopped the scripted/fake comedic segments and the Bro has improved as a host that it's actually listenable these days. :mex:

Never - the guy still always trys to get a penis reference into everything he does.
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Betamax » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:

Never - the guy still always trys to get a penis reference into everything he does.

I think he's at least tried to lower the amount of sexual innuendo that was more prevalent when he first began the show. That might work at a Rock Radio Station Morning Show but for Sports Talk listeners want more sports and less of a clown show. The move to hire The Bro was to get more of a crossover audience i.e. the casual sports fan that were fan of The Bro in his morning Rock DJ days. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:30 am

Betamax wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:

I think he's at least tried to lower the amount of sexual innuendo that was more prevalent when he first began the show. That might work at a Rock Radio Station Morning Show but for Sports Talk listeners want more sports and less of a clown show. The move to hire The Bro was to get more of a crossover audience i.e. the casual sports fan that were fan of The Bro in his morning Rock DJ days. :mex:

via: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/27 ... en-missed/

Botchford reports:

BEST RATINGS

The last book for TEAM 1040 is in.

The morning show is up to around a 7.9 share in the key 25-54 demo. This is an impressive number when you consider the flagging interest in the Canucks. And it’s the Canucks that carry the station.

It pretty much validates the TEAM’s decision to hire Bro Jake btw.

He took a lot of crap when he took the job, but he’s worked his ass off. Not sure I’ll be doing the same when I’m his age. Cruise control, baby.

Midday comes in at 6.7 – 6.8 share.

Afternoon drive came in with a 5.6 share. There may be some meetings about that one.

The Morning Show as I've stated previously improved considerably after the removal of a lot of the self indulgence that Bro Jake initially brought.

The last tidbit is interesting, I could see them moving "The Pratt Man" back to the Afternoon to drive up the ratings there. :mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am

Gotta say, I've done a complete 180 with Pratt, I used to hate him but now I'm a fan of his. For how much Sekeres irritates me his show is probably the best 1040 has now mainly cause his partner provides a good ying yang for that slot. Pratt is saving the morning shot combined with Jake reeling it in. The guys I can't stand are B Mac and Taylor, moron fence sitters lacking hard opinions. Get rid of them!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Betamax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:36 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Gotta say, I've done a complete 180 with Pratt, I used to hate him but now I'm a fan of his. For how much Sekeres irritates me his show is probably the best 1040 has now mainly cause his partner provides a good ying yang for that slot. Pratt is saving the morning shot combined with Jake reeling it in. The guys I can't stand are B Mac and Taylor, moron fence sitters lacking hard opinions. Get rid of them!

I think sooner or later, The Pratt Man is going to be back in the driver's seat in the afternoon. Not sure who they would pair Bro Jake with in the mornings ... my vote would be to slot Rob Fai (Nation) as Pratt's replacement. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mondi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:27 am

So far I've seen a lot of venom from Botchford, Gallagher, and Kuzma for the new management and the moves they have made.

I tell you...addition by subtraction may not look good on paper. But, you know this team is likely to be better than last year, even if they don't add one single UFA.

I don't get this personal stuff that is in the media...why not objectively assess, rather than dump on moves that aren't even complete yet.

As for the morning show, it still stinks. The whole show is a WTF moment.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:19 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Gotta say, I've done a complete 180 with Pratt, I used to hate him but now I'm a fan of his. For how much Sekeres irritates me his show is probably the best 1040 has now mainly cause his partner provides a good ying yang for that slot. Pratt is saving the morning shot combined with Jake reeling it in. The guys I can't stand are B Mac and Taylor, moron fence sitters lacking hard opinions. Get rid of them!

Pratt isn't that bad ... Hasn't been for years. If they could build a few shows around Pratt, Moj, Sekeres (puke) , Rintoul , Ball and Lalji they would be ok . The other tards need to be booted . As long as 1410 is around there is an alternative that is far better .
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mondi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:28 pm

Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Boston Canucker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:34 pm

Mondi wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Botchford+Miller+signs+inevitable+goalie/9990472/story.html

That didn't take long for Botch.

Wow, what contrived nonsense. This is so Vancouver. A goalie with 41 games to his credit, who wore down at the end of the season, is going to be in a goalie controversy with a guy who is a legit number one. I'm not saying the miller deal is the best it could've been, would have the preferred two years, but botch and Vancouver sports media just has to eat its young, it knows no other way.

Funny, all the media commentators outside Vancouver think the miller deal is pretty good, those inside Vancouver generally don't like it… Too much navel-gazing inside the Van bubble.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Mondi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:37 pm

Even though I don't love the deal. I can FULLY appreciate that Lack is a sophomore tender with average numbers whose going to have to earn it.

This is not a situation or a controversy. Jesus christ.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby mathonwy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:47 pm

Mondi wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Botchford+Miller+signs+inevitable+goalie/9990472/story.html

That didn't take long for Botch.

My exact thoughts when I heard about the Miller signing.

The Canucks are setting themselves up for a goaltender controversy. Miller's a competitor, he's never won a Stanley Cup, and most of all, he wants to be "the man". You think at age 33 he's interested in mentoring Lack to replace him in 3 years? Fuggedaboutit.

Lack adequately proved himself last season and I think did enough to be the starting goalie. Now with this Miller signing, he gets dirt kicked in his face. But hey, what's new. This is Vancouver where we treat our goaltenders like shit so same old same old.

I don't like this one bit and further confuses me on whether or not we're rebuilding or retooling or aiming for the last playoff spot to go out in round 1 and draft 18th overall.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat