Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: No I think the Predators would want Eberle, 3rd overall and another prospect (maybe Klefbom or Marincin). Eberle is signed for another 5 years, the 3rd overall gives them 3 years ELC and a couple more RFA years.

Nashville picks 11th in the first round. Definitely in Fleury/Tuch/McCann territory. Losing Weber would be a brutal blow to the Franchise, but picking up Bennett/Fleury/Eberle/Klefbom in one offseason would go a long way to re-tooling that team.
All I hear from Nashville fans is wanting a top tier #1 or #2 center and or a LW.

Eberle doesn't fit any of those.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Well they could end up with a future no 1 centre in Bennett or Reinhart.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

True, but it sounds like they are into winning now and not wanting to wait for futures to develop, their fans are getting antsy, wanting E Kane (hard to get) or Stastny, but realize they aren't a top place for UFA's.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hence why I said I'd love to flip Edler for Kane if we could. Don't want to give up prospects and picks for him.
Even without the NTC in play, Minus 39 for The Real Deal, 1for1 won't work from a Jets perspective. I think the Canucks would also have to include their 2014 no. 6 overall pick, while the Jets could maybe add their 2nd round pick back, so the Canucks' Scouting Staff aren't castrated too much from working their magic @ the draft.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote:If you dream a trade and would accept it immediately if you were the Canucks' GM, you then have to consider the deal from the other team's perspective.

For example, Alex Edler straight up for Evander Kane.

From a Canuck perspective, this trade is a "hell yes!"

But then ask yourself, what would the Jets do? -39, soft-ish defenceman, who is 28, and seems to be trending down (perhaps temporarily) for a 22-year-old up and coming power forward?

Hell no. Not happening. No chance.

Even if EK demands a trade, 10 other teams could and would be the Edler offer.
Edler might not be a tough guy but I would hardly consider him soft.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Jovocop wrote:
Mondi wrote:If you dream a trade and would accept it immediately if you were the Canucks' GM, you then have to consider the deal from the other team's perspective.

For example, Alex Edler straight up for Evander Kane.

From a Canuck perspective, this trade is a "hell yes!"

But then ask yourself, what would the Jets do? -39, soft-ish defenceman, who is 28, and seems to be trending down (perhaps temporarily) for a 22-year-old up and coming power forward?

Hell no. Not happening. No chance.

Even if EK demands a trade, 10 other teams could and would be the Edler offer.
Edler might not be a tough guy but I would hardly consider him soft.
When was the last time he put 5 games together with big hits?

He has become soft, he stopped playing the game he needs to play and that we once saw him play.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Reefer2 wrote: When was the last time he put 5 games together with big hits?

He has become soft, he stopped playing the game he needs to play and that we once saw him play.
When does anyone put 5 games together with big hits?

I would imagine his back would say something about it... Edler is neither soft, nor is he an overly punishing d-man. He certainly can be physical, and can dish some punishing hits.

I don't think he'll get us Evander Kane, but we're not talking about some slight, scrawny d-man like Letang, Justin Schultz or Tobias Enstrom. Edler is a big boy (6'3 215) and can play like one when required.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Reefer2 wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Edler might not be a tough guy but I would hardly consider him soft.

Do you think Shanahan has something to do with this???
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Jovocop wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Edler might not be a tough guy but I would hardly consider him soft.

Do you think Shanahan has something to do with this???
Irrespective of Shanny, Edler I think would now be classified as a "Repeat Offender" so, yeah NHL's DOPS would be on him observing his actions like a hawk, and therefore, he'd have to be skating on eggshells more times than not. 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Any thoughts on the Canucks trading their No. 6 overall pick for a young player with upside?

If so, would ya do it for someone that's under 25 and former NHL Rookie of the Year, Tyler Myers? 5.5M (AAV) but the actual monies owing (take home pay) for the remaining 5 years is less than that and that would please ownership. His play in recent years since his breakout rookie year has slip but I wonder how much that has to do with the environment he plays in.

Would the 6th overall pick be enough or would the Canucks need to ADD to the trade offer?

via: http://www.capgeek.com/player/728

I think part of the Sabres long range plan is to tank for one more season and finish with the worst overall record so they could guarantee one of two franchise players. i.e. McDavid or Eichel.

A move for Myers would also mean that the Canucks would be moving a big contract from the backend i.e. Edler.

That's the type of bold move I'd like to see Linden or the new GM make. Get players that are under 25 that have the potential to be core players in the next year or two before the Sedins' play slips too noticeably.

What say you? 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tyler Myers????? No

Like Edler, chronic back issues. He's sucked over the last few seasons. Bad idea

Knowing Lindens team first, community commitment - Evander Kane he don't want.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:Tyler Myers????? No

Like Edler, chronic back issues. He's sucked over the last few seasons. Bad idea

Uh, where has it been documented that Myers has "chronic back issues." I think there's a big risk/reward factor with him in that he has all the physical attributes to be a No. 1.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Betamax wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Tyler Myers????? No

Uh, where has it been documented that Myers has "chronic back issues." I think there's a big risk/reward factor with him in that he has all the physical attributes to be a No. 1.
Yeah.....62 GP and a minus-26.

He's the same height as Chara and 35 lbs lighter.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Yeah.....62 GP and a minus-26.

He's the same height as Chara and 35 lbs lighter.
When Chara was the same age he put up 2G, 9A, 11Pts, and was -27 in 65 games.

Myers won't ever be as physically dominant Chara. He's not mean enough. But he is a better skater and is still quite young for a 6'8 player.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ekblad will not be a 'special' player, but a good all around D-man. If the Nucks make a move for Florida's pick selecting Reinhart is an absolute no brainer. It would be like picking Wickenheiser instead of Denis Savard, uh Montreal. RIP Wickenheiser. A great forward from your own backyard and you pass him up for Ekblad? Stupid.

Reinhart and Horvat your top 2 centres for the next decade and more? Are you kidding me?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau