(Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Dan Bylsma
3%
Marc Crawford
3%
Kevin Dineen
3%
Ken Hitchcock
2%
Mike Keenan
3%
Pierre McGuire
28%
Todd McLellan
3%
John Stevens
10%
Barry Trotz
24%
Other (Please Specify with a Write in Vote)
19%

Total votes: 58

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

(Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Post by Betamax »

What say you? Image

p.s. The 'Ability to Change Vote is enabled' so if situations changes and/or you're a flip flopper, you can re-cast your vote! :D
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Betamax »

The rebranded "Pratt Man" weighs in on who he allegedly thinks might be the next Head Coach for the Canucks (not sure if that's the guy he wants though) ...

via: https://twitter.com/DavePratt1040/statu ... 7218795520
Dave Pratt @DavePratt1040
Marc Crawford next Head Coach of the Canucks? Believe it!

9:23 AM - 1 May 2014
The Crow did Coach Linden in the past so he has first hand knowledge on his coaching style ..... Image
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Why is the asshat McGuire in the poll and who the fuck voted for him?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

mr perfect wrote:Why is the asshat McGuire in the poll and who the fuck voted for him?
So you're a Stevens man?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

mr perfect wrote:Why is the asshat McGuire in the poll and who the fuck voted for him?
I'm pretty sure the answer to both questions is the same. :roll:

We need less yelling behind the bench and more unwanted touching.
Last edited by BurningBeard on Thu May 01, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I voted McLellan, but I seriously wonder how this year would have turned out if they hired Stanley Cup winning assistant coach John Stevens instead? That was the logical choice.

I hope the Aquaboys have learned an expensive lesson in meddling.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Trotz would likely be a good hire. You don't have a high profile pro sports coaching job for 15 years and not be good at it. Although, dude's only been to the second round of the playoffs twice.

McClellan has been the guy behind the bench for all those SJS disappointments. Sounds like damaged goods to me.

John Stevens? What has he ever done? Has the guy even coached since he got fired in LA?

I don't think Hitchcock will get fired this season. He'll get one more chance. Dan Bylsma has had one of the two or three most talented rosters in the league and has underperformed as a coach. Meh.

The other suggestions suck. Crawford? Get the hell outta here.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Trevor has said the new GM will hire involve in hiring the new coach. Maybe we have to wait a little longer.
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Why Do People Hate Pierre McGuire?

via: http://www.fiveminutesforfighting.com/2 ... guire.html

Here are the points the author of the article stated ... (I especially enjoyed the parts I bolded.)
What is it about Pierre McGuire that causes this reaction?

- Pierre loves hyping young players. This is fine, except whenever he describes them he makes sure to gush about what a “fine young man” they are. “Not only is this guy a great player, Gord, but he’s an even better person and that’s what’s important.” Give me a break.

- He also makes sure to tell everyone what Junior team that “fine young man” plays for, while describing what a joy he is to coach. This allows him to name drop a coach as well for good measure. In moderation this would be informative, but when you say these things over and over about every player, every game it gets annoying.

- Another way he goes about this is by telling a team’s fan base to get excited about players. “Gord, Columbus Blue Jacket fans better get real excited for Ryan Johansen, he’s going to be a special player in this league for a long, long time.” He could also let us know that this player is the “real deal”.

- His insistence on using phrases such as “big body presence” and “active stick”. “Foot speed” is another, but this has caught on around the league, so it isn’t a purely Pierre phenomenon.

- Every game he picks one player to actively gush over for an entire game. Yes, I like Mike Richards too and I think he’s a great player, but I don’t want to hear you talk about him the entire game. There are a lot of players on a team.

- If he’s talking about something French he’ll make a point to pronounce it with a French accent. He served as a colour commentator for the Canadiens, which might make you think he's a French-Canadian – but this was for their English-language radio broadcast. And he was born in New Jersey.

- The one thing that really bothers me is the way he calls penalties. Usually the play-by-play announcer will call penalties, but McGuire makes a point to announce it himself on occasion (often by cutting in). Again, in theory, this is a good practice. If the play-by-play announcer is slacking then the colour commentator should let everyone know there’s an upcoming penalty. What’s annoying is the way Pierre does this. He simply states “penalty” or “that’s a penalty” with an air of condescension that makes it sound like he’s smart and all-knowing and we’re all just peons. We could never know that was a penalty without the great Pierre McGuire showing us the way.

- Similarly, if a team has too many players on the ice he'll simply state "too many men, that's too many men for the Capitals" and if the referees don't call it he'll chuckle on air and let everyone know "they got away with that one!"

- He goes nuts over certain plays. Sure, during big moments of games even announcers show that they aren’t robots, but Pierre goes overboard. The WJHC is filled with these moments.

- He makes a point to prove that he isn’t biased. For instance, during the WJHC if a Canadian takes a penalty against a Russian or an American he will be quick to tell us that it’s a legitimate penalty and you can’t do that in hockey. “That’s the correct call. The referee got that one right, Gord.” Please, Pierre; you’re the same guy who invented the Double Dion. We know you like Canada and thought the Russian dove.

- He also makes a point to effusively praise the home city for any WJHC. This is nice, but when they're held in Buffalo we know you're just being polite.

- Basically, he yells at you.

- He makes a point to pronounce a player's full name. For example, instead of saying Chris Pronger like people have called him for years, Pierre will insist on calling him Christopher Pronger.

- I've never heard him say this, but my brother always gets mad when he says "that guy is sucking dirty pond water". Apparently, that's a term for someone who is really tired. I'm not sure where it comes from, but it's making the list.

- He appreciates the players that do the small thing, which is something people should value outside of Coach’s Corner, but he beats his points to death all game and it becomes unbearable. We get it, the Blackhawks are doing a great job chipping it past the defence, now can we please move the conversation forward.
ERGO, (REGIS) PIERRE MCGUIRE IS BEYOND AWESOME!!! Image
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

UH OH.... Betamax = Pierre McGuire. :look:

I voted Trotsky, solely for this reason:
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/05/0 ... guys-ugly/

While in Vancouver for the first two games of this series, he [Trotz] took a stroll in Stanley Park and walked past a pair of hockey fans.

“You look a lot like the Nashville coach,” he was told.

“That’s someone else,” Trotz answered. “I think that guy’s ugly.”
I swear I heard Lord Stanley and the hockey gods chuckling in the background. ...
Last edited by Strangelove on Thu May 01, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Just like dreams of Shea Weber in a Canucks uni'.. I can hope for Babcock or maybe Bylsma.

More realistically hopefully Todd McLellan, if becomes available Linden can't wait for a GM hiring, he's gotta sign him asap.

Otherwise Trotz and Stevens seem like pretty decent coaches, with Trotz being the front runner due to experience, he could thrive with a new team as he was in Nashville forever and a day, new core of players/city/team might just be what he needs to become a superb coach.

So I'll pick Trotz unless one of the aforementioned coaches becomes available.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Trevor has permission from teams to begin the GM interviews. He will start those next week. I have heard he has 4 guys on his list. There is no reason why he can't ask about coaches in those interviews. Sorta like, hey this Trotz guy is available, what do you think. If he knows, which I think he does, his GM will be one of the 4' then he will make coaching discussions part of that interview.

He said today the two searches can run parallel to each other. This way if he has to act, or feel compelled to act on a coach sooner than he can with a GM hire, he will already have the input from his GM candidates. If they all say, hell no, not Trotz and hers why, then he passes. If they all scream, grab this guy ADAP , then he is positioned to do that.

Point being, if he makes a coaching move before announcing his GM , don't assume the GM didn't have input.
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:What say you? Image

p.s. The 'Ability to Change Vote is enabled' so if situations changes and/or you're a flip flopper, you can re-cast your vote! :D
I think Linden mentioned he ideally want a "lifelong" Coach, so that would appear to exclude my man, (REGIS) PIERRE MCGUIRE from consideration.

Of the list of options, the people I don't think should get strong consideration are Kevin Dineen (too unproven and highlight of Coaching Career seems to be the Womens' Olympic 2014 Gold Medal), Ken Hitchcock (if available, too similar to a Torts in terms of being hard on players), Mike Keenan (for obvious reasons).

So my preferences would be Todd McLellan and Barry Trotz (Tied as front runners), then followed by John Stevens and finally Crow.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Is Pete Carroll not available?