Torts Tossed

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Torts Tossed

Post by Cornuck »

Let's combine all of the talk about Tort's upcoming firing and tomorrow's presser into one thread.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Torts Tossed

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Cornuck wrote:Let's combine all of the talk about Tort's upcoming firing and tomorrow's presser into one thread.
Ant chance we could trade him for Babcock or Hitchcock? :P

Or does he follow Keenan and head over to Russia & win the Gagarin cup? :lol:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Bring in Barry!!!!
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

There'll be competition for Trotz' services. Time's a wasting.

Tallon:
Barry Trotz is a hell of a coach.
Hamhuis:
I actually really enjoyed playing for Barry.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Canucks wrote:Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks President of Hockey Operations Trevor Linden announced today that Head Coach John Tortorella and Assistant Coach Mike Sullivan have been relieved of their coaching duties.

“Today we are making an important change in the direction of our team,” said Linden. “On behalf of the entire organization, we extend our thanks to John, Mike and their families for their commitment to the Canucks and wish them the very best.”

“We have a lot of important work to accomplish this off-season as we build our management and coaching staff, improve our roster and connect with our fans,” added Linden. “Our General Manager search is well underway and we will begin assessing head coaching candidates immediately.”
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

So Gulutzan escapes the guillotine!
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

So now that the team has removed the GM and coach, what is the next move beyond finding replacements? Does Linden look to move big pieces of the core? Does everyone with a NTC get told to submit their list of teams they would consider? Does Henrick lose the C?

Just questions, looking forward to your opinions.
Cheers
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

This was a good move. We all knew Torts would either fly or flop. And, it was a flop.

Linden did the right thing by firing Torts before hiring a new GM. This gives the new GM a blank slate to hire his own coach. If Torts had stayed, we would limit who would come as GM, or the GM's first act would be to fire the coach.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Interesting that firing Torts only cost ownership $1.6M.

Also interesting that Gulutzan escaped punishment.

I kind of like Torts, but Sullivan is just an idiot. Good riddance.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:Interesting that firing Torts only cost ownership $1.6M.

Also interesting that Gulutzan escaped punishment.

I kind of like Torts, but Sullivan is just an idiot. Good riddance.
missing the playoffs costs more.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote: missing the playoffs costs more.
Yeah, that's probably like half a game or something.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Cornuck wrote:Let's combine all of the talk about Tort's upcoming firing and tomorrow's presser into one thread.
Press conference @ 1pm can be seen online via:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVSJ0xr5cC0

Also covered live on TEAM 1040.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Aaronp18 wrote:So Gulutzan escapes the guillotine!
I think ... with the caveat ... for now. Unlike Sully who was tied to the hip with Fonzie, Gully was a Michel D. Gillis' hire. TEAM Radio's Sekeres speculated that they may re-assign him to another position or wait until the new GM and Coach is appointed to see if they can find a position for him, else he might end up being axed as well.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I wonder whose backyard Torts and MG will be gathering for beer and burgers. I wonder if Torts is still willing to sit down with media over a burger and a beer?

His firing was inevitable to moment GM went on radio and did his my way or the highway thing. The moment he said he was going to get back to his original plan. It sure sounded like Torts was gonna go then. Fast forward to Trevor and you knew Torts was gone. It was almost impossible to see any scenario where he would be back.

Some say TL should have waited for the new GM. I say only if TL was ok with Torts coming back. If he knew or felt he had to go he did the right thing in cleaning it up before he brought in a new GM. Let the new GM be the main part of the process in bringing in a new coaching staff.

Sullivan was universally disliked by many of the players. Torts was respected and liked as a person but his coaching was confusing and his antics confounding. I loved Torts this year. I loved his frankness. But I question some of his decisions. I would have been ok to give him one more year to see if last year was an anomaly but I am ok with this dismissal too. A fresh start for TL and company, clean slate. No excuses next year Trevor, this is your team.

Interestingly, on a radio talk show he was asked about Kesler. His response was yes, Kesler does have a few issues/concerns that are actively being discussed and looked at. I wonder if Torts and Sullivan were two of those concerns.
The only HW the Canucks need
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I gotta say that it feels like we didn't really give Torts a chance. But you can't argue with results ... it had to happen, like it or not.