Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Hockey Widow »

We know we will be competing with the Flames for a new GM. I imagine the money and term offered by both will be competitive so it will boil down to things like autonomy, geography, city, fit. All the so called candidates would pick Vancouver in a heartbeat. Linden will get his man, and if he doesn't , we'll never know :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Hockey Widow wrote:We know we will be competing with the Flames for a new GM. I imagine the money and term offered by both will be competitive so it will boil down to things like autonomy, geography, city, fit. All the so called candidates would pick Vancouver in a heartbeat. Linden will get his man, and if he doesn't , we'll never know :mrgreen:
Also, Canucks are always a cap team, Calgary not. That's not to say Calgary won't be down the road, but a GM could clearly see he'll have more resources to work with in Van.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumours in that George McPhee and Adam Oats are about to be fired in Washington. They were told not to conduct player interviews and have more meetings today with ownership who is said to be interested in bringing Trotz in as coach.

Any interest in McPhee?

To me , although a nicer personality than MG, he has failed to bring in the one or two pieces that would put Washington in contender status, namely a number one goalie and a number one D'man. I would see more of the same here, that for whatever reasons not able to pull the trigger. I'm also not enamoured with his FA signings.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Rumours in that George McPhee and Adam Oats are about to be fired in Washington. They were told not to conduct player interviews and have more meetings today with ownership who is said to be interested in bringing Trotz in as coach.

Any interest in McPhee?

To me , although a nicer personality than MG, he has failed to bring in the one or two pieces that would put Washington in contender status, namely a number one goalie and a number one D'man. I would see more of the same here, that for whatever reasons not able to pull the trigger. I'm also not enamoured with his FA signings.
I would be leary of bringing in another hockey guy from the Pat Quinn lineage. I'd like to see some diversity at the top of hockey ops.

McPhee and Nonis for that matter are probably candidates to be the GM for Burke/Flames.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

McPhee has some real red flags on him as well. That Erat-for-Forsberg deal, the swing from run and gun to shutdown hockey over one playoff series (sound familiar?), today Elliotte Friedman speculates that the inmates are running the asylum in Washington.. not sure it all goes straight back to McPhee but he has the stink of failure on him for sure.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

dbr wrote:McPhee has some real red flags on him as well. That Erat-for-Forsberg deal, the swing from run and gun to shutdown hockey over one playoff series (sound familiar?), today Elliotte Friedman speculates that the inmates are running the asylum in Washington.. not sure it all goes straight back to McPhee but he has the stink of failure on him for sure.
McPhee has had top end talent and could not make the moves to get the team over the top. I would be really disappointed if he was the choice, big time.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:McPhee has the stink of failure on him for sure.
That's not the only stink following McPhee around.

Ask Pavel who was planting those malicious false rumours in the press back in the day.

Can you say 'back-stabbing spirit-quenching manipulative liar'?

No thanks, we've had more than our share of dat dere!

Last edited by Strangelove on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Rumours in that George McPhee and Adam Oats are about to be fired in Washington. They were told not to conduct player interviews and have more meetings today with ownership who is said to be interested in bringing Trotz in as coach.

Any interest in McPhee?

McPhee only if we can keep Torts. The opposition would really have to watch out!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Even Mark Recchi thinks Jim Benning would be a good fit for the Vancouver Canucks!

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Benni ... story.html
Mark Recchi knows this much about the Vancouver Canucks: He hated playing against the confident and cocky club in the 2011 Stanley Cup final to such a degree that he even called them arrogant a year after the highly-strung seven-game series.

However, the Kamloops native wonders where that swagger has gone. Far removed from that championship run and in a state of franchise flux, Recchi has some advice for Trevor Linden, the new Canucks’ president of hockey operations, to fix the floundering: Hire Jim Benning to replace the fired Mike Gillis.

In Game 2 of the 2011 final, the 43-year-old Recchi became the oldest player to score a Stanley Cup final goal and the Boston Bruins winger would earn his third championship ring before retiring. As an assistant general manager, Benning had much to do with assembling that club and maintaining its strong stance as a Cup contender.

“That’s why I think a guy like Jim would be fantastic,” Recchi said Tuesday from his Pittsburgh home.

“He can build around the Canucks’ core players and get pieces in there. They’re going to have to draft really well from now on and they’re going to have to make great trades. I’d love to see him back in Canada because that (Vancouver) is a wonderful hockey market.” ...

And because Recchi knows first-hand that Benning’s strengths are strong leadership, smart draft evaluation and savvy personnel decisions,

“I know that Peter absolutely loves him and leans on him heavily,” said Recchi. “He’s a workhorse. He’s non-stop. He’s just one of those guys who lives and breathes and is always at the rink and will do whatever it takes to help the team get better. He’s a wonderful person.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

SKYO wrote:Even Mark Recchi thinks Jim Benning would be a good fit for the Vancouver Canucks!

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Benni ... story.html
From what I've read and heard, he might be the ideal compliment to Linden, given his extensive scouting background and Linden has been open about wanting to fashion the Canucks under the model the Bruins have pursued. Furthermore, I heard Benning's not exactly an extrovert, so Linden can still be the main spokesman and be the man front and centre and speak on the team's behalf on hockey issues from their Management team.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Everything I have heard re Benning is that he is a hockey genius and is the main man in Boston when it comes to assessing talent. Not just assessing talent but in building a team and that elusive chemistry thing. Has the ability to not just spot talent but putting it together. Good at assessing the dressing room and spotting problem areas.

And ya, he doesn't crave the spotlight so his ego is in check. Likes to be the man behind the scenes but wants a GM job so a good compliment to having Trevor as the face of the team. He is definitely Trevor's high priority on his list. I think the job is his to lose but his comments about the Vancouver job being a fantastic opportunity would seem to indicate that he would jump at the chance.

He is also high on BB list.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Everything I have heard re Benning is that he is a hockey genius and is the main man in Boston when it comes to assessing talent. Not just assessing talent but in building a team and that elusive chemistry thing. Has the ability to not just spot talent but putting it together. Good at assessing the dressing room and spotting problem areas.

And ya, he doesn't crave the spotlight so his ego is in check. Likes to be the man behind the scenes but wants a GM job so a good compliment to having Trevor as the face of the team. He is definitely Trevor's high priority on his list. I think the job is his to lose but his comments about the Vancouver job being a fantastic opportunity would seem to indicate that he would jump at the chance.

The Bruins had a "Behind the B" reality TV documentary last season that provided a revealling look at how they conduct their hockey operations. If anyone actually watched the series of episodes, was Benning featured in any of them or was the "man behind the scenes?"

re: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/9/10/ ... sson-trade
Gurkha
AHL Prospect

Post by Gurkha »

If this is the video I think it is, Benning was featured in a couple interesting scenes. The two scenes were roundtable discussions among the execs about letting Andrew Ference and Tyler Sequin go. In the latter scene, one of the exec was lamenting over the speed that Sequin provides if they let him go, Benning retorted "He brings speed ... in the regular season." :D
Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Everything I have heard re Benning is that he is a hockey genius and is the main man in Boston when it comes to assessing talent. Not just assessing talent but in building a team and that elusive chemistry thing. Has the ability to not just spot talent but putting it together. Good at assessing the dressing room and spotting problem areas.

The Bruins had a "Behind the B" reality TV documentary last season that provided a revealling look at how they conduct their hockey operations. If anyone actually watched the series of episodes, was Benning featured in any of them or was the "man behind the scenes?"

re: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/9/10/ ... sson-trade
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

In the first episode he is front and centre, early on, in the Seguin decision. Not a good speaker, actually kind of nerdy. But he made a point of saying Seguin's time was up and they needed to move him out to get supporting pieces for the core. Assessed they would miss his speed in the regular season and his 35-40 goals but the red flags were too many. After that I didn't see much of him.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Looks like Treliving won't be our guy as Burkie snapped him up. Guess the Boston Pizza is a conflict of interest as I think the Pizza Hut chain is the Aqua-men's.