Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by BurningBeard »

Per wrote:Oh, come on! Lots of 17-yo kids are skinny and then add muscle mass by the time they're twenty.
Is that what your boyfriend did? :lol: Hiyoooo!

Sorry Per, that was too hard to resist (like your boyfriend).

I have a disease, I'm sorry. :(
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Seriously though, i weighed a mere 67 kg when I was 17. By the time I had finished my military service at age 20, that had increased to 76 kg. And look, sure we did some physical training in the military, but that's nothing compared to what an elite hockey player would do, so, adding 10 kg between age 17 and 20 would not seem strange to me, and that'd translate into some 22 medieval weights whatever you call them.

You know, people say Canada is metric, but.....
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BurningBeard wrote:
Per wrote:Oh, come on! Lots of 17-yo kids are skinny and then add muscle mass by the time they're twenty.
Is that what your boyfriend did? :lol: Hiyoooo!

Sorry Per, that was too hard to resist (like your boyfriend).

I have a disease, I'm sorry. :(
Like his boyfriend? :look:

:lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Sure, we all fill out 'a bit' 5-10 lbs but the way some of you are going on, it's like u all think that Nylander is eventually gonna turn into a stump like Bo Horvat. Not gonna happen
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Sure, we all fill out 'a bit' 5-10 lbs but the way some of you are going on, it's like u all think that Nylander is eventually gonna turn into a stump like Bo Horvat. Not gonna happen
The dude is bang on with this.

The only way Nylander puts on 20lbs is if he grows another 2 inches in height too.

Guys that pack on 20-30 pounds of muscle between the ages of 18-22 are generally sporting a frame of 6'4" or more.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Guys that pack on 20-30 pounds of muscle between the ages of 18-22 are generally sporting a frame of 6'4" or more.
30 pounds would be excessive. But even Kane packed on 20 pounds since he was drafted. Bryan Little and Steven Stamkos both put on 15.

Depends on the kind of training he does, and what his optimal playing weight is. A guy like Eberle was drafted at 174, and plays at 180 these days.

All things being equal, go for the bigger guy, but when you're talking about a vast difference in talent (generally, not saying that's the case here) I think you have to at least consider it. Nylander could very well wind up being quite similar in size to Markus Naslund. A guy that a lot of people wanted in a potential Kesler-Chicago deal was Teuro Teravainen, who was drafted at 165 pounds. It will take a couple patient seasons with Nylander, but he's certainly not too small to play in the NHL.

Personally, I'm hoping Nylander's performance at the U-18's was enough to bump him into the top-5, and the Canucks wind up with someone like Dal Colle or Draisaitl.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote: Guys that pack on 20-30 pounds of muscle between the ages of 18-22 are generally sporting a frame of 6'4" or more.
30 pounds would be excessive. But even Kane packed on 20 pounds since he was drafted. Bryan Little and Steven Stamkos both put on 15.

Depends on the kind of training he does, and what his optimal playing weight is. A guy like Eberle was drafted at 174, and plays at 180 these days.

All things being equal, go for the bigger guy, but when you're talking about a vast difference in talent (generally, not saying that's the case here) I think you have to at least consider it. Nylander could very well wind up being quite similar in size to Markus Naslund. A guy that a lot of people wanted in a potential Kesler-Chicago deal was Teuro Teravainen, who was drafted at 165 pounds. It will take a couple patient seasons with Nylander, but he's certainly not too small to play in the NHL.

Personally, I'm hoping Nylander's performance at the U-18's was enough to bump him into the top-5, and the Canucks wind up with someone like Dal Colle or Draisaitl.
Please stop with this Draisaitl nonsense. The kid has only exhibited one pace - junior pace - even though he excels at that pace. He just screams, "Junior Star, NHL flop" to me. When his decision time gets drastically in the faster pro game, I don't think he'll be able to adjust.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Lancer wrote:Please stop with this Draisaitl nonsense. The kid has only exhibited one pace - junior pace - even though he excels at that pace. He just screams, "Junior Star, NHL flop" to me. When his decision time gets drastically in the faster pro game, I don't think he'll be able to adjust.
I can't say I watched him play to make such a judgement but I think he has the best nickname in hockey right now.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Skyo, Nylander is 5'-11", 170 lbs barely. You don't go from a naturally inherent RNH bean pole to a naturally big boned 195 lb Bo Horvat in some sort of miraculous DNA bone mass shape shifting that turns you into a natural born that way stump like Domi or Smyl unless you make like SOB and hit the Roxy on a regular basis or Roid up, give your mullet a shake.
Horvat was 211 pounds last year at the combine. He's much bigger than most think. He's now listed at between 203 and 206 pounds. When he fills out fully will probably be 210 or 215 which is plenty big enough.

Nylander is small but he's definitely got a ton of skill. I still see Trevor going for Ritchie over him.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

SKYO wrote:Shitty we finally got a high pick but it's sandwiched between two superb drafts in 2013 and 2015, haha just our luck, ah well.
Good chance for for all three, no? 2013 check, 2014 check, can all but ink the checkmark on 2015.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I'm really hope'n Draisaitl drops to 6. We need skill AND power and Leon would be ideal. He looked good in the Worlds against the vets. Maybe he really is NHL ready next year. Would be ideal fit for Bo & Brendan.
Stop lowballing our pick and aim high!

Deutschland! Deutschland! Deutschland!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

A lot of scouts feel he should go no. 1 arachnid but some also feel he will drop. Apparently the Oilers have their hearts set on him
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Arachnid wrote:I'm really hope'n Draisaitl drops to 6. We need skill AND power and Leon would be ideal. He looked good in the Worlds against the vets. Maybe he really is NHL ready next year. Would be ideal fit for Bo & Brendan.

Why I want to move up to at least the #5 spot, I think we could realistically make a trade with the NYI swapping picks, with us adding a roster player as they really want to win next season and so their 2015 pick won't be in lottery contention for Buffalo next year.

#5 you're guaranteed one of MDC or Draisaitl, and not as likely but possibly even Bennett if Edm is serious about the big german and burkie/flames go for the powerforward MDC.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

SKYO wrote:
Arachnid wrote:I'm really hope'n Draisaitl drops to 6. We need skill AND power and Leon would be ideal. He looked good in the Worlds against the vets. Maybe he really is NHL ready next year. Would be ideal fit for Bo & Brendan.

Why I want to move up to at least the #5 spot, I think we could realistically make a trade with the NYI swapping picks, with us adding a roster player as they really want to win next season and so their 2015 pick won't be in lottery contention for Buffalo next year.

#5 you're guaranteed one of MDC or Draisaitl, and not as likely but possibly even Bennett if Edm is serious about the big german and burkie/flames go for the powerforward MDC.
Why even bother with any of those guys when the most explosive offensive player available, Nylander should fall into the Canucks' hands @ 6th overall ..... if they don't trade the pick for Myers ..... 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Betamax wrote:
SKYO wrote: Why I want to move up to at least the #5 spot, I think we could realistically make a trade with the NYI swapping picks, with us adding a roster player as they really want to win next season and so their 2015 pick won't be in lottery contention for Buffalo next year.

Why even bother with any of those guys when the most explosive offensive player available, Nylander should fall into the Canucks' hands @ 6th overall ..... if they don't trade the pick for Myers ..... 8-)
I wouldn't mind Nylander however it appears TL/Gilman will in all likelihood draft a big player.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.