Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Betamax »

ClamRussel wrote:#2015
or #1 in #2015. I didn't follow the tournament, so I can't really make a judgement on Nylander. But I remember hearing THN reporter say that his offensive potential is as high as their is in this year's draft. Canucks' need potential elite scorers. Shinkaruk is the only player in their system that has that potential. So I'd be fine, if the Canucks' were willing to take the risk and select him.

But there are obvious concerns ... you know ... the obvious one's being lack of size, and the potential Ricky Schroeder, real life "Silver Spoons" issue when it comes to being motivated to pay the price to compete at hockey's highest level.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Nylander is no mini mouse at least compared to ricky schroeder.
at the very minimum he'll be the size of datsyuk/zetterberg 5'11 195 if he works out, he could grow to 6'0 maybe as he's only 17.

Shitty we finally got a high pick but it's sandwiched between two superb drafts in 2013 and 2015, haha just our luck, ah well.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Skyo, Nylander is 5'-11", 170 lbs barely. You don't go from a naturally inherent RNH bean pole to a naturally big boned 195 lb Bo Horvat in some sort of miraculous DNA bone mass shape shifting that turns you into a natural born that way stump like Domi or Smyl unless you make like SOB and hit the Roxy on a regular basis or Roid up, give your mullet a shake.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:Skyo, Nylander is 5'-11", 170 lbs barely. You don't go from a naturally inherent RNH bean pole to a naturally big boned 195 lb Bo Horvat in some sort of miraculous DNA bone mass shape shifting that turns you into a natural born that way stump like Domi or Smyl unless you make like SOB and hit the Roxy on a regular basis or Roid up, give your mullet a shake.
Well his pops Michael topped out at 6'1 195-200 lbs, so it's not inconceivable.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8458573
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Skyo, Nylander is 5'-11", 170 lbs barely. You don't go from a naturally inherent RNH bean pole to a naturally big boned 195 lb Bo Horvat in some sort of miraculous DNA bone mass shape shifting that turns you into a natural born that way stump like Domi or Smyl unless you make like SOB and hit the Roxy on a regular basis or Roid up, give your mullet a shake.
Well his pops Michael topped out at 6'1 195-200 lbs, so it's not inconceivable.
To go from 5'11 170 lbs to 6'1 195 lbs naturally, somewhere between his age of 18 to let's say, when he turns 22? Who the fuck does that unless you are hanging out with Mark McGuires buddies?

I guarantee you the most he will get up to is 175 lbs . 180 lbs if he's lucky
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Nylander just needs to eat his spinach hombre.

Gary Roberts workout program.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Skyo, Brad Ference is on the phone and would like a word with you
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

It's ok to be wrong sometimes dude.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: To go from 5'11 170 lbs to 6'1 195 lbs naturally, somewhere between his age of 18 to let's say, when he turns 22? Who the fuck does that unless you are hanging out with Mark McGuires buddies?

Patrick Kane was listed at 5'9 160 when he was drafted. He's now listed at 5'11 181. Packing on 20 pounds is certainly possible with the right training and nutrition.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:It's ok to be wrong sometimes dude.
Are you telling yourself that ? :drink:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: To go from 5'11 170 lbs to 6'1 195 lbs naturally, somewhere between his age of 18 to let's say, when he turns 22? Who the fuck does that unless you are hanging out with Mark McGuires buddies?

Patrick Kane was listed at 5'9 160 when he was drafted. He's now listed at 5'11 181. Packing on 20 pounds is certainly possible with the right training and nutrition.
Yes it's possible I suppose but he will still end up being a 'slight' player. Hey, I like Nylander, however I have him ranked after Ritchie and Virtanen on who I'd like the Canucks to take. We need help at the forward position. I rank size, toughness and skill slightly ahead of top notch skill and small for what the Canucks need in their system desperately.

Nylander will either end up being a Filatov bust or a Backstrom homerun. I'd rather roll the dice on Ritchie and Virtanen
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

petes2424/hf had this interesting look at the draft.
It's probably a crap shoot after the first three. There's actually two teams I'm familiar with talking about the way they structure drafts. San Jose and Detroit. It's similar with every team though. Generally they come up with a pretty consistent top ten. After that they really start adding parameters to picks. Like how certain players fit their system, etc. As an example, Detroit would've had a Tinordi probably rated considerably lower than Philadelphia. Just as Holland discussed his choosing Bertuzzi last year when the pundits all scratched their heads. On the flip side, they probably had Riley Sheahan rated well above other teams.

This being the case, coupled with a weaker draft, you're going to see some surprises this year. Two players for example who are in most mocks somewhere between 20-30, could very well go 8-12. Goldobin and Scherbak. Especially with such a weak crop of D. People also shouldn't be surprised if Draisatl drops out of the top ten. With him, something as simple as his body fat percentage. If it's high, with his skating problems, teams might shy away, forming commitment arguments.

There's also now a built in "Russian Factor" within the scouting reports. I'd argue it's actually justified, although I was screaming for the Oilers to grab Nichushkin if he fell to 7 last year. Dallas is going to enjoy the factor for many years to come. They'll also be less inclined now to take that into consideration. Your rebuilds go a lot smoother when you land a player of that caliber at 10 and this year they won't pass on a Scherbak if he's still on the board. Just as Detroit will probably trade down a few picks, pick up a second round pick and take Goldobin even though they probably have him rated top 10.

It would be far more informative if these pundits would actually take the team and their drafting strategies into account instead of simple needs and player style. Although I'm convinced certain teams literally draft of off the central scouting reports. Just look at teams that rarely hit on a player after the first round. The Oilers definitely fit that argument.

It'll be fun here the next month trying to figure it all out.
Almost makes me think we could land Draisaitl.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

...or Dal Cole
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

I get you point. Yeah, I think you'd have to analyze his skeletal frame and project whether his body could support an extra 20lbs, naturally. Also, the kid's metabolism also plays a factor. Some people, no matter how much they eat can't maintain weight. MSL is small in stature but is "thick and a wide lower body - tree trunk legs like Crosby. Gretzky on the other hand, had a slight body frame, but he had the advantageous of having hockey IQ that was BEYOND GREAT. 8-)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Oh, come on! Lots of 17-yo kids are skinny and then add muscle mass by the time they're twenty.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.