Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Draft Virtanen at 6. Trade with Ottawa, draft Fleury at 10. Two western Canadian boys, to kick off western Canadian boy - lindens tenure as the man in the charge to usher in the new era
Anaheim has Ottawa's pick. You best hope Dallas knocks of Anaheim so they make a big push for one Ryan Kesler.
Seems like they wouldn't be keen on giving up Ottawa's pick now, I'd much rather try to get a 2015 first rounder.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tried watching the Erie/Guelph game on tv tonight, shit was that painful. I swear Gaunce moves his feet less than Kassian does. He's constantly gliding at zero miles an our and seems very timid in battling for pucks. I hope this was an off game for him. Fox did nothing for me as well. Do we really have a good prospect pool?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: Seems like they wouldn't be keen on giving up Ottawa's pick now, I'd much rather try to get a 2015 first rounder.
That draft is supposedly better, especially at the top, but anytime you get a chance to grab a top-10 pick you have to go for it, imo. If we trade Kesler to Anaheim for their 2015 first (as part of a package) that pick is likely to be in the 24-30 range.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Tried watching the Erie/Guelph game on tv tonight, shit was that painful. I swear Gaunce moves his feet less than Kassian does. He's constantly gliding at zero miles an our and seems very timid in battling for pucks. I hope this was an off game for him. Fox did nothing for me as well. Do we really have a good prospect pool?
Only one game, Gaunce plays a very cerebral game where he doesn't run around all over the place. He's almost always in the right position to make a play but won't be beating anybody with his speed. Luckily he's very big and can fight through checks as he will need it at the next level. I think he needs a year or two in the AHL before he's ready.

In general, Erie was terrible this whole series. I have no idea why, they were beaten soundly. Guelph smashed both London and Erie and I expect they will do the same to North Bay. Very underrated team.

Nylander' steam just lost to the US in the under 18's. He sure had a hell of a tournament, could get into the top 5 after this. He's got a ton of skill but will need a year or two in the Swedish league before he comes over as he needs to put on a lot of muscle. Still, the skill is there.

Again reinforces that it's him or Ritchie for me, one is sublimely skilled but needs to get stronger, the other is built like a freight train and is very skilled but not in Nylander's class. Assuming the top 5 go as expected those are my choices, but it seems there's a ton of fluctuation in each team's favourites. I expect there will be some surprises on draft day.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Diehard1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Tried watching the Erie/Guelph game on tv tonight, shit was that painful. I swear Gaunce moves his feet less than Kassian does. He's constantly gliding at zero miles an our and seems very timid in battling for pucks. I hope this was an off game for him. Fox did nothing for me as well. Do we really have a good prospect pool?
Only one game, Gaunce plays a very cerebral game where he doesn't run around all over the place. He's almost always in the right position to make a play but won't be beating anybody with his speed. Luckily he's very big and can fight through checks as he will need it at the next level. I think he needs a year or two in the AHL before he's ready.

In general, Erie was terrible this whole series. I have no idea why, they were beaten soundly. Guelph smashed both London and Erie and I expect they will do the same to North Bay. Very underrated team.

Nylander' steam just lost to the US in the under 18's. He sure had a hell of a tournament, could get into the top 5 after this. He's got a ton of skill but will need a year or two in the Swedish league before he comes over as he needs to put on a lot of muscle. Still, the skill is there.

Again reinforces that it's him or Ritchie for me, one is sublimely skilled but needs to get stronger, the other is built like a freight train and is very skilled but not in Nylander's class. Assuming the top 5 go as expected those are my choices, but it seems there's a ton of fluctuation in each team's favourites. I expect there will be some surprises on draft day.
Would you rather have Milan Lucic or Alexander Semin?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Would you rather have Alex Stojanov or Markus Naslund?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm actually leaning towards Virtanen now, with Ritchie 2nd, Nylander 3rd

I was just giving Gaunce the gears, it was more about how shitty his team looked. I think he's a good prospect
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Edler to Tampa for the Rangers pick they own from the Callahan deal - 18th overall. Makes sense, If there is someone who could resurrect Edlers career it's Bowness.

Canucks draft the 6'-2" - 190 lb swede - Kempe with the 18th pick
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Nylander looks like transvestite Pacific Blue . I thought for sure you would be all over him for the Canucks pick. Christ my head hurts today. I went out to get new tires on my truck at 10:30 in the morning and didn't get home until 3:00 AM.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Nylander looks like transvestite Pacific Blue . I thought for sure you would be all over him for the Canucks pick. Christ my head hurts today. I went out to get new tires on my truck at 10:30 in the morning and didn't get home until 3:00 AM.
Lol, you must be in Mrs. McKenzies dog house today

Started at the The Arms? Then what, ended up in some crack house in Haney?

Nylander is weird looking, when I first googled the kid I thought I made a mistake in my googling cause I kept getting a girl in a hockey uni claiming to be Nylander.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Nylander looks like transvestite Pacific Blue . I thought for sure you would be all over him for the Canucks pick. Christ my head hurts today. I went out to get new tires on my truck at 10:30 in the morning and didn't get home until 3:00 AM.
Lol, you must be in Mrs. McKenzies dog house today

Started at the The Arms? Then what, ended up in some crack house in Haney?

Nylander is weird looking, when I first googled the kid I thought I made a mistake in my googling cause I kept getting a girl in a hockey uni claiming to be Nylander.
No idea what you're talking about Dudester.

"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Nylander today was good for the first 2 periods but the Americans became too much for him. It was again the Eichel show out there, is it ever not? Hearing a lot of rumblings out there that Eichel is the better player than McDavid. Every time I see Eichal I'm really impressed, wish I could say the same for McDavid. Starting to look like another classic Ontario media/fan overhyping of another local kid.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

McDavid = Cleary?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote:Nylander today was good for the first 2 periods but the Americans became too much for him. It was again the Eichel show out there, is it ever not? Hearing a lot of rumblings out there that Eichel is the better player than McDavid. Every time I see Eichal I'm really impressed, wish I could say the same for McDavid. Starting to look like another classic Ontario media/fan overhyping of another local kid.
Are you watching this live or on TV?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ClamRussel wrote:McDavid = Cleary?
Starting to think so. The games that I have seen of McDavid - WJC's and junior Im left feeling that I don't see the hype. Yes, he's fast, tries to beat you individually and stuff but I just don't see the hype. I see him as a Matt Duschene 2nd tier star but definitely not 1st tier. Every time I've seen Eichel he just bleeds
NHL superstar. Extremely smart and is one of those types that controls the game and the pace and direction every time he's on the ice. The puck just follows him around and the other teams always seem to be in a cluster fuck because of it. McDavid is all bursts, the sense, IQ, anticipation is nowhere near on par with Eichel.

I could see Eichel being the star of the league whereas McDavid being more of a flashy player

On a good note for Canada, fellow Eichel draft class mates - Barzal and Konecny apparently played very well throughout the tourney