The (in)Consistency of NHL Officiating [aka WTH?!?]

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: The (in)Consistency of NHL Officiating [aka WTH?!?]

Post by Hockey Widow »

Seabrook gets 3 games for his hit on Backes. I'm ok with that but given his whining when he gets hit and the history of that entire team, five would have been a more sufficient suspension.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Seabrook gets 3 games for his hit on Backes. I'm ok with that but given his whining when he gets hit and the history of that entire team, five would have been a more sufficient suspension.
Like I said in the Playoff thread, I'm okay with that suspension.

Seabrook is a big part of the Hawks, and they could (Spaghetti Monster willing) be eliminated while he's suspended. If playoff games are worth more than Regular Season games, then this is probably a 5-6 game regular season suspension.

Expect (and hope) St Louis to hammer away even harder on Duncan "Swing for through the Bone" Keith.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

How about this beaut!

5+game for elbowing....a headshot that ended Alberts' season, maybe his career = NO suspension!!!

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports ... rel=894638
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I remember that clearly and bountiful afterwRds talking about Alberts diving. I never understood how that wasn't a suspension. For Alberts, probably the end of his career.
The only HW the Canucks need
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I agree HW. I remember that game clearly. Is it just me or did Calgary make a consistent and conserted effort to injure opposing players this year. I get wanting to play a "truclent" style but come on. You still need to play something the vaguely resembles hockey.

I hope Calgary rejoins the league as a "hockey" team and drops the imperative to injure that seems to have been their play style in 2013/14.

Just my $0.02
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

wafflecombine wrote:I agree HW. I remember that game clearly. Is it just me or did Calgary make a consistent and conserted effort to injure opposing players this year. I get wanting to play a "truclent" style but come on. You still need to play something the vaguely resembles hockey.

I hope Calgary rejoins the league as a "hockey" team and drops the imperative to injure that seems to have been their play style in 2013/14.

Just my $0.02
So where was Shanahan in all that?
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

shanahan turned out to be an idiot.

All I see when watching hockey is that if a player goes down, it "must" have been a penalty.. who's the closest nearby?

A great HARD hit where a player goes down must have been a head shot/interference/boarding. Not only does the drama of the hit play a role, but even the players themselves don't seem to like clean hits.

I just hate it.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

What's the Over-Under on Matt Cooke's upcomming suspension for ending Tyson Barrie's season with a knee-on-knee hit?

I'll say 15.

He's totalled 27 games worth of suspensions (last one was 17 for an elbow vs. New York) in his career.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:I remember that clearly and bountiful afterwRds talking about Alberts diving. I never understood how that wasn't a suspension. For Alberts, probably the end of his career.
Look at the fanbase HW. They had an interactive tv spot on Bingo's website with the posters of the site and the clowns were wearing leather fedoras, bolo ties, dress shirts with 1/2 inch vertical piping. The ones who had teeth looked like an East Van hooker with a grill full of impetigo. THAT is Bountiful. They are Prince George with a mullet. The number one bar in Crackalgary used to be the Back Alley. It would compare to Friscos, Tabascos, the Turf or the Falmingo for you 40's crew.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

The turf or the flamingo would have kicked the Bountifulls out for lack of IQ.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Island Nucklehead wrote:What's the Over-Under on Matt Cooke's upcomming suspension for ending Tyson Barrie's season with a knee-on-knee hit?

I'll say 15.

He's totalled 27 games worth of suspensions (last one was 17 for an elbow vs. New York) in his career.
I think he gets 5 or less.

Didn't he knee a Dallas player last month? I don't even think he was fined for it.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bountiful spends a lot of time bitching about officiating.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

10 games and only that much because of his record.

Though it would be interesting if they handed him a Torres style suspension.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

wafflecombine wrote:10 games and only that much because of his record.

I'm kind of thinking they will go closer to Torres territory. Barrie is likely done for the playoffs, and Cooke already has a 17 game suspension on his resume (10+first round, which went the distance). The "repeat offender" tag doesn't apply in the duration of the suspension, only how they calculate the money he loses, and is thus inconsequential in the playoffs. Given Cooke's vast history of dirty plays, I think the league will really bury him.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
wafflecombine wrote:10 games and only that much because of his record.

I'm kind of thinking they will go closer to Torres territory. Barrie is likely done for the playoffs, and Cooke already has a 17 game suspension on his resume (10+first round, which went the distance). The "repeat offender" tag doesn't apply in the duration of the suspension, only how they calculate the money he loses, and is thus inconsequential in the playoffs. Given Cooke's vast history of dirty plays, I think the league will really bury him.
The Cooke hit isn't any worse than the intentional (but un-suspended) Brown hit you posted on the previous page. He even takes an elbow swing for his head. Brown's got to be one of the craftiest of the dirty players in the league (see his unintentional-on-purpose launch into Luongo...followed by a guilt ridden glance over to see his accomplishment). Always seems to get away w/ it somehow.