2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by Diehard1 »

Does Bettman have to call Jacobs, his boss, and ask if he ca suspend Lucic? There's no way a Bruin gets suspended for anything less than attempted murder. They broke a guy's back and it wasn't even a penalty.

Good to see Detroit giving Boston a good run, also great to see the Habs doing well. Hopefully a few of the other favourites can go out so I will have somebody to cheer for. As is, I don't really care who wins, more cheering against certain teams.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Aaaaaaas we suspected:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449825

Joke
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?collection=72&show=328020

For such a tough guy he sure can't take a hit.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

That's the difference maker for me why I don't want to emulate the Bruins, they are tough yes, but they are a bunch of babies. It's ok for them to play you hard but when you hit them hard back, they can't take it. It still amazes me how the Canucks are so hated yet the bruins play cheapest and dirtiest hockey in the game but as soon as u play that way back at them you get the penalty. I really can't stand them. It doesn't help that they are beloved by Cherry and the eastern hockey media. How dare we criticize an original 6 team?

One play yesterday where the class act Datsyuk stripped the puck off of Chara, You could see that Chara wanted to go after him for it like the nerve of Datsyuk to do that to Zdeno. I am so sick of Marchands post whistle antics. Yet they somehow get away with it. Well, they say the Boston owner is the most powerful owner in the league
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:That's the difference maker for me why I don't want to emulate the Bruins, they are tough yes, but they are a bunch of babies. It's ok for them to play you hard but when you hit them hard back, they can't take it. It still amazes me how the Canucks are so hated yet the bruins play cheapest and dirtiest hockey in the game but as soon as u play that way back at them you get the penalty. I really can't stand them. It doesn't help that they are beloved by Cherry and the eastern hockey media. How dare we criticize an original 6 team?

One play yesterday where the class act Datsyuk stripped the puck off of Chara, You could see that Chara wanted to go after him for it like the nerve of Datsyuk to do that to Zdeno. I am so sick of Marchands post whistle antics. Yet they somehow get away with it. Well, they say the Boston owner is the most powerful owner in the league
The problem is the Bruins are protected. If a team like the Canucks played like that they'd be in the box all game and suspended half the year for "poor angles" and the like. Remember how the boys came out hard against the Sharks & Kings and spent half the games in the box for "stupid penalties" yet the Bruins play exactly that way and they are "tough and hard to play against".
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

...yet the NHL deems this as 5x worse an infraction than the Lucic crotch spear.

Lucic $5k no suspension

Quenneville $25k

Shows where their priorities and their head is at.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Geez Clam - I respect your passion for the game, but you're going to have aneurysm trying to make sense of the NHL's reffing and discipline systems. :?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Cornuck wrote:Geez Clam - I respect your passion for the game, but you're going to have aneurysm trying to make sense of the NHL's reffing and discipline systems. :?
Thanks cornuck, I should really take a deep breath.... "serenity nowwww"
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

ClamRussel wrote:Aaaaaaas we suspected:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449825

Joke
Are they actually fining him $5000 for "spearing"? I don't understand why they'd admit it's a spear. A spear is a game, so if they're saying it's a spear that wasn't called, he should get a game for it. I presumed they wouldn't fine him at all, or fine him for "slashing".

This is a text book example for the argument that the instigator rule doesn't work. In general I'm not against the instigator rule, but it only works if the league is going to police the game instead. If they're not, you need to let the players do it. There would have been retribution against Lucic the next shift if it weren't for the instigator, and that's what should have happened. I don't even think a suspension is necessary if Lucic "pays for his sins" the next shift.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

BurningBeard wrote:Are they actually fining him $5000 for "spearing"? I don't understand why they'd admit it's a spear. A spear is a game, so if they're saying it's a spear that wasn't called, he should get a game for it. I presumed they wouldn't fine him at all, or fine him for "slashing".

This is a text book example for the argument that the instigator rule doesn't work. In general I'm not against the instigator rule, but it only works if the league is going to police the game instead. If they're not, you need to let the players do it. There would have been retribution against Lucic the next shift if it weren't for the instigator, and that's what should have happened. I don't even think a suspension is necessary if Lucic "pays for his sins" the next shift.
Yep, they're calling it spearing all right.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=715505

What is comical is TSN's headline that Lucic is "paying the price" as if he'll even notice it. That'll learn 'im
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

holycrappola!

Check out Seabrook's hit to Backes head!

Concussion without a doubt, cause it's playoffs more leeway, so he'll only get like 3 games instead of the 5.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Holy shitzen! Shades of Torres.

Well, playoffs didn't stop the NHL from throwing the book at Rome for a far lesser hit imo. BUT, this is Seabrook and he plays for the Hawks so they'll go easy on him. I'd be shocked if Backes isn't done for the season after that one. That hit pretty much cost the Hawks the game.

If that hit was on Burrows there would be no suspension. If that hit was delivered by Edler it would be 10 games, if it was Kassian it would be the rest of playoffs. Ya, Seabrook probably gets 3.

Backes didn't even have the puck.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

suspension for sure there clam...

Wow Blues win it! in OT!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

The Chicago / St. Louis series has been great, and I'm not just saying that because St. Louis is up 2-0. The stick work on display would make Billy Smith blush. Refs really need to keep a handle on things, the teams already hated each other before the hit on Backes. Series is a powder keg waiting to go off. Great action though, very entertaining.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

I can't describe how happy I was to see the CBC added Kadri to the panel. Finally someone representing the Maple leaves can present their opinion, and we can keep things fair and balanced.