Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Diehard1 wrote:The nice thing is after this draft, assuming they take one of Ritchie/DalColle/Draisaitl - size shouldn't be an issue with Jensen, Kassian, Horvat, and Gaunce all possibly on the team within the next couple of years. It will be a big team that should be able to play with anybody.

Hear hear...

Virtanen and Perlini could be added to that list of potential draftees with size but I agree with the foundation we're starting. Most of these guys are unproven yet and half might not prove to be anything, but the model is there and I'm liking it.

Can small skilled players fit into the mix? Of course, you can certainly have one or two as complimentary players but if they're centerpieces, I don't like the team's chances.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:Shrinkwrap and the 6th to move up and take a Sam.
Nah. Try and build what we haven't had for years and that's depth. Trading two good prospects for one very good prospect isn't a great tradeoff at this juncture. Drafting is always a gamble, but every time you add a good prospect to the depth chart you increase your odds of finding some good players.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

If we won the lottery, I thought we could really use a potential stud D-man like Eckblad. We have a lot of forwards coming along (boho, shink, gaunce, etc) and we have some decent young swedish goalies (lack, markstrom, ericsson, etc), but I think we're really lacking on the blueline (pretty much only corrado). I noticed the next D-man after Eckblad is like rated around 12th. I guess I won't mind if we end up with a big gritty winger who has some skillz.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Let's not forget we have Matthias as well. Size, speed and good on forecheck.

We still have some building to do. If we trade some of the core we may get some good pieces back.
The only HW the Canucks need
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Bout time we start finding gems in the later rounds to get that depth.

The Avs aren't necessarily the best model for great drafting since their success stems from picking in the top 3, which are generally sure bets, but it's their ability to find hidden gems like O' Reilly and Barrie beyond the 1st Round that has them where they are.

Unless you include Raymond drafted 2nd rnd in 2005, Edler is probably our last hidden gem and that was 10 years ago. I suppose it can be argued free agent signings like Tanev and Lack make up for the futility since then but no excuse, you gotta be able to find something here and there within a decade of drafting. Corrado is a good sign of ending that drought and Cassels and Hutton are looking promising to follow. We need more and we need them now. Hope Trev can see something the others guys couldn't.
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Hockey Widow wrote:Let's not forget we have Matthias as well. Size, speed and good on forecheck.

We still have some building to do. If we trade some of the core we may get some good pieces back.

Pouliot could address some of Bersnoozi's concern. Getting him is another matter but if the Pens covet Kes as much as they seem to...

The other way to do it is what I just mentioned ^^^. Maybe we just load up on D in latter rounds and hope to hell we luck out with a Barrie or another Corrado.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Let's not forget we have Matthias as well. Size, speed and good on forecheck.

Pouliot could address some of Bersnoozi's concern. Getting him is another matter but if the Pens covet Kes as much as they seem to...

The other way to do it is what I just mentioned ^^^. Maybe we just load up on D in latter rounds and hope to hell we luck out with a Barrie or another Corrado.
Pouliot would be nice, so would a guy like Teravainen from Chicago. If you take a big player with the 6th small guys like Teravainen become easy to fit into the top 6.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya, so much depends upon whether we are willing and are able to move a few of the core. In theory we should get some decent players/prospects/picks back to further bolster our depth. But we still need to ice a competitive team next year. But again, in theory, if we trade some of the core we should be competitive in FA.
The only HW the Canucks need
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya, so much depends upon whether we are willing and are able to move a few of the core. In theory we should get some decent players/prospects/picks back to further bolster our depth. But we still need to ice a competitive team next year. But again, in theory, if we trade some of the core we should be competitive in FA.

The challenge is trying figure what version of the Twins will be back next year. Is it Torts' coaching that damaged their game, is it injuries, or is it simply father time catching up to them? Who knows, but if the Twins of this season return next year, I'm all for not being competitive because there's no point. This team is and will be as good as the Twins go and if they are indeed done, we'll just have to accept that reality, choke on their salaries and suck for a few more years to build for the team that comes after their contracts end.

If the Twins we saw the past couple weeks return for a FULL season, then there might be a possibility of retooling the team into a competitive one again. Say Horvat makes the club and has a decent first season as a 3rd liner, then you'd have a pretty ready 3rd line in Matthais/Higgins/Hansen with Kassian (assuming he doesn't move up) centered by Horvat. This scenario has the Twins and Bur returning to form as if not a bona fide first line, then a 1b or 2a line. Then the job in the offseason becomes quite simple: build a 2nd line. Easier said than done but do-able.

I can see a scenario where we can be competitive again but it all rests on the Twins and the problem is even the best case scenario doesn't get us a team that competes for a Cup, definitely not with the goaltending we have, but one that at best can challenge for a playoff spot. My feeling is we can't bank on the Twins returning to form so I say don't waste valuable resources (picks) retooling for a team that has no Cup hope. Best to tank it and maximize the chances of the team we'll have 5-6 years from now. Good luck selling that to the owner though.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: I can see a scenario where we can be competitive again but it all rests on the Twins and the problem is even the best case scenario doesn't get us a team that competes for a Cup, definitely not with the goaltending we have, but one that at best can challenge for a playoff spot. My feeling is we can't bank on the Twins returning to form so I say don't waste valuable resources (picks) retooling for a team that has no Cup hope. Best to tank it and maximize the chances of the team we'll have 5-6 years from now. Good luck selling that to the owner though.
We're talking about a 10-12 point swing to make us a playoff team again. 5-6 more wins is not exactly insurmountable, providing SOME guys have better seasons next year. I don't think the Sedins are 50 point players, I think they're closer to 70 point players.

The draft, and some development from guys like Horvat (assuming he doesn't go back to junior) could go a long way. Next year will also see players like Gaunce and Shinkaruk make the jump to the AHL, and while it may be a stretch to think they'll play minutes with the big club, it proabably means our call-up situation is a lot better than the likes of Archibald and Welsh.

As far as the draft goes, picking 6th overall certainly will help the prospect depth, but anyone we get in that spot will almost certainly not play for us next season.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Have to go with Ritchie if the top 5 go as expected. I hope TL or the manager at the time inquire about the #2 pick especially if the Islanders do the smart thing and shoot their 2014 pick to Buffalo. Not sure what the Sabres would want from Vancouver besides the #6 pick .

I would like to see one of the Sams end up in the barfing whale this June. Both of these guys project as top 6 centres and Vancouver has exactly one of those type prospects in its entire organization. So while the Canucks need offensive forwards at all positions the wingers are a bit easier to find.

I will be a bit concerned if the Canucks pick Ehlers or Kapanen . Nice young players but this team needs both size and skill.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Have to go with Ritchie if the top 5 go as expected. I hope TL or the manager at the time inquire about the #2 pick especially if the Islanders do the smart thing and shoot their 2014 pick to Buffalo. Not sure what the Sabres would want from Vancouver besides the #6 pick .

I would like to see one of the Sams end up in the barfing whale this June. Both of these guys project as top 6 centres and Vancouver has exactly one of those type prospects in its entire organization. So while the Canucks need offensive forwards at all positions the wingers are a bit easier to find.

I will be a bit concerned if the Canucks pick Ehlers or Kapanen . Nice young players but this team needs both size and skill.
Some guy from THN was on TEAM Radio and suggested the Canucks might look at Nylander. Said he had about as much offensive potential as anyone in this draft but there are questions about his work rate.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Betamax wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Have to go with Ritchie if the top 5 go as expected. I hope TL or the manager at the time inquire about the #2 pick especially if the Islanders do the smart thing and shoot their 2014 pick to Buffalo. Not sure what the Sabres would want from Vancouver besides the #6 pick .

Some guy from THN was on TEAM Radio and suggested the Canucks might look at Nylander. Said he had about as much offensive potential as anyone in this draft but there are questions about his work rate.
On the small side though no ? I hear he is a very skilled player, admittedly seen nothing but highlights so I can't judge. The couple games I have seen Ritchie and Dal Colle as well as Ekblad I have come away impressed. Ditto for the Sams . Virtanen I am not sure about. He looks like he has the goods but towards the end of the year and playoffs he really slowed down.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Betamax wrote:

On the small side though no ? I hear he is a very skilled player, admittedly seen nothing but highlights so I can't judge. The couple games I have seen Ritchie and Dal Colle as well as Ekblad I have come away impressed. Ditto for the Sams . Virtanen I am not sure about. He looks like he has the goods but towards the end of the year and playoffs he really slowed down.
Well, I'd be concerned about the Silver Spoons factor (BTW, I'm not referring to little Ricky Schroeder of the Canucks) -- given that he is the son of a former NHLer i.e. work rate/ethic. But the same has been said about "Johnny Football" and how he will project in the NFL but you know, some guys have that certain "it" factor, you know.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: what I can see is there aren't a whole lot of "highly skilled yet small" Euros lifting Cups lately.
Datsyuk (5'11"), Zetterberg (6'0").... How late is lately?

Nylander Jr is listed as 5'11" at age 17. He could easily grow a couple of inches before he is done.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.