Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rikster
MVP
MVP

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by rikster »

I hope it is Benning or some other AGM from another strong team, a guy whose previous ties to the Canucks org are either non-existent or minimal, such as
I've found that you can learn more from mistakes than you do from successes, will Gillis feel that he became a better GM after this season or after the President Cup seasons?...

So I'm not sure hiring a GM like Benning who has worked in one organization only and a winning one at that is as desirable as many feel it is....

If you do, then having an advisor like Quinn would be a must...

What stood out for me with Benning is that he does seem to have the Wally Buono management style which is to not be afraid to move out players before their best date has come, even if it means that player still has a year or two of productive play left rather than trying to move the player after the best date has passed...

As an organization, I think the Nucks have been undermanned in their front office and scouting staff and would like to see them take advantage of their financial wealth to spend some money to bring in more management experience and more eyes scouting prospects...

Take care...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Betamax wrote:
dbr wrote:Look what the cat dragged in.. :lol:
You can thank (or blame) the Linden hire, cyber bro dave ... 8-)
To be honest, I would have really liked to see your reaction to the Mike Gillis goatee fiasco.

Do you believe a fabled organization like the New York Yankees would continue to employ an executive with that mess on his face?

Do you?
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:
Betamax wrote:
dbr wrote:Look what the cat dragged in.. :lol:
You can thank (or blame) the Linden hire, cyber bro dave ... 8-)
To be honest, I would have really liked to see your reaction to the Mike Gillis goatee fiasco.

Do you believe a fabled organization like the New York Yankees would continue to employ an executive with that mess on his face?

Do you?
Well, dave, towards the end of the season I was kinda 50/50 on pulling out the "Trump" Card, but it became pretty evident that ownership was clearly not impressed with that sign of, uh, "solidarity."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
Strangelove wrote:And yeah, pretty obvious Quinn will be an adviser.
Bushmills or Tullamore Dew
Tullamore Dew!!

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/20 ... quinn.html

Wondering now if ole Paddy was the one that got Trev to convert.

Wondering now if Roberto wants to come back. :lol:

Wondering now how Dude feels about the catholic Aquilinis bringing in more of their own.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:
Tullamore Dew!!

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/20 ... quinn.html

Wondering now if ole Paddy was the one that got Trev to convert.

Wondering now if Roberto wants to come back. :lol:

Wondering now how Dude feels about the catholic Aquilinis bringing in more of their own.

Lol I don't think dude bothers to differentiate his hatred for all things religious.

Probably figures a baptist is someone who drinks from that cool little fountain they out by the door in some churches...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Lol I don't think dude bothers to differentiate his hatred for all things religious.
Pretty sure Dude feels ONE catholic is too many in the upper echelons of his hockey team.

Pretty sure he's on the verge of dumping his hockey team right about now.

You don't really think Dude hates you just because you're a bit of a commie do ya UK? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rikster wrote:

So I'm not sure hiring a GM like Benning who has worked in one organization only and a winning one at that is as desirable as many feel it is....

Take care...

Uhhh..... Jim Benning has worked for three NHL teams: Anaheim, Buffalo and Boston.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Following his playing career, he served an amateur scout for the Anaheim Ducks (1993–94) and then joined the Buffalo Sabres as a scout (1994–98) and as Director of Amateur Scouting (1998–2004). In the summer of the 2006, he became the assistant GM of the Boston Bruins. His name was included on the Stanley Cup for the 1st time with the Boston Bruins in 2011.

He is married and has four children. He resides in Boston, but lives in Portland, OR in the summer.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Lol I don't think dude bothers to differentiate his hatred for all things religious.
Pretty sure Dude feels ONE catholic is too many in the upper echelons of his hockey team.

Pretty sure he's on the verge of dumping his hockey team right about now.

You don't really think Dude hates you just because you're a bit of a commie do ya UK? :mrgreen:
Ha! no I thought he hated me because I'm generally happy to be a Canuck fan
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:
Tullamore Dew!!
The Orangemen in my family tree say Northern Ireland's Bushmills.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: The Orangemen in my family tree say Northern Ireland's Bushmills.
They're outta their tree if they think a catholic would be caught dead drinking Bushmills.

I think if you're a catholic Irishman you pretty much gotta drink Tullamore Dew.

It's like holy water to them...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Via:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey ... r-mvp.html

By Elliotte Friedman Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 | 01:18 PM:

Here are some of his thoughts on what Linden has done and might be up to ...
17. Here's betting Trevor Linden tells Ryan Kesler to go home and think for a little while before making a decision on his future. Which means another face-to-face meeting between the two in a few weeks.

18. During a webcast, Linden said it's possible the Canucks' next GM is someone he played with early in his career. A cursory check of his playing history indicates Boston's Jim Benning was a teammate for the first two years of the new president's NHL existence. Canuck ownership is not unaware that one-time assistant GMs are on a pretty good run of winning Stanley Cups lately.

19. Linden's first hire was the team's former vice president of communications, T.C. Carling, to a newly created director of hockey administration position. The two are close and you always look for these types of patterns and relationships. If Brendan Shanahan wants something similar in Toronto, the likely choice is John Rosasco, the Rangers' senior vice resident of public relations. Damian Echevarrieta, who worked with Shanahan in the Department of Player Safety, is another name you will hear.
I think his first major on-ice hockey personnel move will be to relieve Coach Torts of his duties.

What say you? 8-)
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

rikster wrote:
I hope it is Benning or some other AGM from another strong team, a guy whose previous ties to the Canucks org are either non-existent or minimal, such as
I've found that you can learn more from mistakes than you do from successes, will Gillis feel that he became a better GM after this season or after the President Cup seasons?...

If you do, then having an advisor like Quinn would be a must...

What stood out for me with Benning is that he does seem to have the Wally Buono management style which is to not be afraid to move out players before their best date has come, even if it means that player still has a year or two of productive play left rather than trying to move the player after the best date has passed...

As an organization, I think the Nucks have been undermanned in their front office and scouting staff and would like to see them take advantage of their financial wealth to spend some money to bring in more management experience and more eyes scouting prospects...

Take care...
Hey Rikster, been a while. I fully agree that you can't be afraid to trade guys to retool the team, great examples of it in this team are Kesler and Edler. Both guys have lots of hockey left but have good value around the league. This offseason would be the time to trade Kes, Edler maybe not given how horrid he was this year. Might need a year to rebuild his value.

We will see, hopefully Trevor shows he's not afraid to make the difficult decisions.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

We will see, hopefully Trevor shows he's not afraid to make the difficult decisions
Hey Die Hard, good to see you again...

I wish we could hear from m peroni to get his thoughts on his Panthers acquiring Luongo, especially considering how highly he thought of Markstrom...

I think Linden's time in the NHLPA showed that he wasn't afraid to make tough decisions along with his time in the business world....

Take care...
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:I think his first major on-ice hockey personnel move will be to relieve Coach Torts of his duties.

What say you? 8-)
Surely, it has to be this week! One tidbit that came from Sportsnet's Doug MacLean on the TEAM Radio afternoon Show was that former GMMG buyout was allegedly 50% of what was remaining and Torts was the full 100%. Although Gallagher I believe suggested weeks earlier that Torts' was less than the full 100%. Anyway, whatever it is, I hope potential buyout dollars paid out isn't the determining factor or has influence on the whether he stays or goes.