Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Lancer »

rats19 wrote:
$lacker wrote:Anyone else think the league may throw Linden a bone for all his hard work getting the lockout to end and let the Canucks win the lottery tomorrow :)
6.1% chance of that happening... :roll:
Question is, who would you want the team to pick in that event? My choice would be Eckblad. Bennett and Reinhart may make good Top 6 centres, but IMO Eckblad has realistic promise of being that franchise defenceman.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Lancer wrote:
rats19 wrote:
$lacker wrote:Anyone else think the league may throw Linden a bone for all his hard work getting the lockout to end and let the Canucks win the lottery tomorrow :)
6.1% chance of that happening... :roll:
Question is, who would you want the team to pick in that event? My choice would be Eckblad. Bennett and Reinhart may make good Top 6 centres, but IMO Eckblad has realistic promise of being that franchise defenceman.
I agree. I'd want Ekblad. We've got solid D but have never had a stud, clear #1. Who is to say if he really turns out to be one, draft busts happen of course, but he seems from all accounts primed to be that guy. Build around him, Horvat etc over the next 3-5 years. I could live with that.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Man the tough choice of landing 1st overall ha, I'd go the Avs route though and take the uber forward, an influx of top centers is the way to go, plus down the road we can trade one of them for a good dman.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:Man the tough choice of landing 1st overall ha, I'd go the Avs route though and take the uber forward, an influx of top centers is the way to go, plus down the road we can trade one of them for a good dman.
Hmmmmm....... like the Oilers have done the last bunch of drafts??? :|

How's that working out for them??? :lol:

Like I said, Reinhart or Bennet may turn out to be quality 2nd-line centres but Ekblad can be that franchise Dman that anchors the blueline for years to come. Draft him and all of a suffen that blueline stops looking so old in terms of top-4 talent.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Mynhl mock draft

Has us getting nylander and panthers getting ekblad

Of course nylander is the smallest guy in top 10
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote:
SKYO wrote:Man the tough choice of landing 1st overall ha, I'd go the Avs route though and take the uber forward, an influx of top centers is the way to go, plus down the road we can trade one of them for a good dman.

Like I said, Reinhart or Bennet may turn out to be quality 2nd-line centres but Ekblad can be that franchise Dman that anchors the blueline for years to come. Draft him and all of a suffen that blueline stops looking so old in terms of top-4 talent.
Oilers took a lot of wingers though, its like a ferrari with no engine, I believe that was the metaphor we had before with Bure and Mogilny, all that talent on the wings is kinda worthless without bonafide centers.

However I'd be ok taking Ekblad if we can get someone like Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier in a Kesler or Edler trade with Philly.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

rats19 wrote:Mynhl mock draft

Has us getting nylander and panthers getting ekblad

Of course nylander is the smallest guy in top 10
It all depends on a few factors, NYI letting the Sabres have their pick or not, I can see the Sabres taking Ekblad 1st overall if they have the NYI 5th overall as well.

And/or the Burkie pick if he goes for the big power forward Ritchie.

Things will shift a bit if those things happen, some may drop or not, but if nothing changes in people's predictions on who will get drafted and we stay at 6th, we should be left with Ritchie, Nylander and Ehlers to choose from.

Ehlers would be awesome but I'd go with Nylander due to skill, speed, agility and him being a center/winger.
Ritchie is injury prone and has had some concussion issues already.

5pm countdown! http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl ... -1.2610618
Buffalo Sabres, 25.0 per cent
Florida Panthers, 18.8
Edmonton Oilers, 14.2
Calgary Flames, 10.7
New York Islanders, 8.1
Vancouver Canucks, 6.2
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Are any of the centres in the draft rated to become true first line centres? If not, they I would take Ekblad, he does seem to become a stud D man.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

SKYO wrote:
Lancer wrote:

Oilers took a lot of wingers though, its like a ferrari with no engine, I believe that was the metaphor we had before with Bure and Mogilny, all that talent on the wings is kinda worthless without bonafide centers.

However I'd be ok taking Ekblad if we can get someone like Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier in a Kesler or Edler trade with Philly.
Oilers also did not have any good defenders on their team. Canucks don't have any problem on D - their problem is scoring goals, finishing, this is what they need to concentrate on moving forward either though a trade, fa or draft.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

ISS has Draisaitl at 6th where we will probably pick.

I would be happy with him, Dal Cole, if he falls, or Nylander.

Not a big fan of Ritchie or Virtanen where we will be likely be picking.

If by some happy/unlikely circumstance we get #1 I would like one of the Sam's, I would only take Ekblad if he fell to 6th.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

vic wrote: Canucks don't have any problem on D - their problem is scoring goals, finishing, this is what they need to concentrate on moving forward either though a trade, fa or draft.
Depending on what months you are talking about, the Canucks could not score in January and February but they did score some goals in March and April. During the same period, the defense was a mess... giving up 3-on-1, 2-on-1, 2-on-0, breakaway numerous times. :(
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote:
vic wrote: Canucks don't have any problem on D - their problem is scoring goals, finishing, this is what they need to concentrate on moving forward either though a trade, fa or draft.
Depending on what months you are talking about, the Canucks could not score in January and February but they did score some goals in March and April. During the same period, the defense was a mess... giving up 3-on-1, 2-on-1, 2-on-0, breakaway numerous times. :(
I'm not talking about months, I'm talking about years. They went from one of the most offensive teams in the league to one of the worst in the last 2-3 years.

This past season, the Canucks were just as good defensively, if not slightly better than, some of the elite teams in the NHL.

GF / GA / PP% / PK%
ANA - 3.2 / 2.5 / 16 / 82.2
COL - 3.0 / 2.6 / 19.8 / 80.7
CHI - 3.2 / 2.6 / 19.5 / 81.5
BOS - 3.1 / 2.1 / 21.7 / 83.7
PIT - 3.0 / 2.5 / 23.4 / 85.0
VAN - 2.3 / 2.6 / 15.2 / 83.2

Offensively? That's where the other teams take the cake. Fix the offense (which includes fixing the PP) and the team is fine.

They need goal scorers.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Anyone going to be watching the draft lottery?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

theman wrote:Anyone going to be watching the draft lottery?
Just awaiting response on the interwebz.

If the nux win, it would be typical, the year in between MacKinnon and McDavid haha. aw poor canucks.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

We keep the sixth. Panthers move up to 1st

Everyone else stays the same, well Buffalo drops to 2nd
The only HW the Canucks need