Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Hockey Widow »

theman wrote:Which goalies are available on the UFA market? I think as HW said, just get a decent veteran back up for Lack.

I say keep it, we need to get more young forwards into our system. That being said, I still can't believe that we only got the 8th overall pick for Schneider. But that is water under the bridge now.

Halak has a past relationship with Rollie the Goalie from his Montreal days. In fact he played some of his best hockey back then, so much so that there was debate about keeping him and trading Price. I suspect that if they go shopping for a reliable goals with experience to back up Lack they may go that route. Let Markstrom play a ton in Utica.

We will have that Lack Halak attack.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hockey Widow wrote:
theman wrote:Which goalies are available on the UFA market? I think as HW said, just get a decent veteran back up for Lack.

I say keep it, we need to get more young forwards into our system. That being said, I still can't believe that we only got the 8th overall pick for Schneider. But that is water under the bridge now.

Halak has a past relationship with Rollie the Goalie from his Montreal days. In fact he played some of his best hockey back then, so much so that there was debate about keeping him and trading Price. I suspect that if they go shopping for a reliable goalie with experience to back up Lack they may go that route. Let Markstrom play a ton in Utica.

We will have that Lack Halak attack.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Is Halak the kosher Lack?

Talking heads last night mentioned Rollie and Halak go back to European days prior to Montreal.

Did anyone else notice how pissed Ian McIntyre was with the guy commenting on Markstrom's development with Rollie. Made a fool of Ian.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:
dbr wrote:At our position though, in all likelihood Draisatl, Bennet and Reinhart are gone, Nylander ends up a winger and guys like McCann are major reaches.
Yup, I'm guessing at 6th it'll be out of Nylander, Ritchie or Ehlers.

I used to be pro Ritchie but the more I read up on WN, the more I like William Nylander C/RW...(rh)
If he's anything like his dad, then he's also über soft - fine for the eastern conference but putting somebody like him up against the likes of Hanzal, Getzlaff and co. and he'll be ground into the ice and go the way of Rodin back to Sweden.

This team still needs size on top of skill. Somebody like Ritchie or Virtanen would be good. Maybe even Ehlers, as he's been known to get into the dirty areas of the ice and is more acclimated to the NA game.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote:
SKYO wrote:
dbr wrote:At our position though, in all likelihood Draisatl, Bennet and Reinhart are gone, Nylander ends up a winger and guys like McCann are major reaches.
Yup, I'm guessing at 6th it'll be out of Nylander, Ritchie or Ehlers.

I used to be pro Ritchie but the more I read up on WN, the more I like William Nylander C/RW...(rh)
If he's anything like his dad, then he's also über soft - fine for the eastern conference but putting somebody like him up against the likes of Hanzal, Getzlaff and co. and he'll be ground into the ice and go the way of Rodin back to Sweden.j

This team still needs size on top of skill. Somebody like Ritchie or Virtanen would be good. Maybe even Ehlers, as he's been known to get into the dirty areas of the ice and is more acclimated to the NA game.
Unless he's like Nyquist but with more speed and passing ability.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Not sure what to say about Nylander. The kid has crazy skills, and goes for the net. But he's just a kid.... Will turn 18 in may. His stats from the second tier league are good, 15 goals and 27 points in 35 games,and show hat he can play against men, but his SHL stats (this was his first season there) were mediocre; only 1 goal and 6 assists in 22 games and a -3. But I'm sure he'll improve. I mean, just getting ice time in the SHL at age 17 is pretty good.

He is considered a huge talent and excels against other juniors and in the second tier league, which is probably more or less ECHL level. I think he needs a couple of years in the SHL before taking the plunge. So how long does the NHL team that drafts him hold his rights?

Some footage from Allsvenskan and some international juniors tournament:

hat trick in allsvenskan:

Highlights from junior play:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Is Halak the kosher Lack?
HA HA
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Per wrote:Not sure what to say about Nylander. The kid has crazy skills, and goes for the net. But he's just a kid.... Will turn 18 in may. His stats from the second tier league are good, 15 goals and 27 points in 35 games,and show hat he can play against men, but his SHL stats (this was his first season there) were mediocre; only 1 goal and 6 assists in 22 games and a -3. But I'm sure he'll improve. I mean, just getting ice time in the SHL at age 17 is pretty good.

He is considered a huge talent and excels against other juniors and in the second tier league, which is probably more or less ECHL level. I think he needs a couple of years in the SHL before taking the plunge. So how long does the NHL team that drafts him hold his rights?
Thanks Per, yeah Nylander can take his time developing in the SHL while the Sedins continue on, continuing on for a few more years, and come in well prepared while learning under the Sedins for a year then take over with the other young guns Horvat+Gaunce etc.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Anyone else think the league may throw Linden a bone for all his hard work getting the lockout to end and let the Canucks win the lottery tomorrow :)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

$lacker wrote:Anyone else think the league may throw Linden a bone for all his hard work getting the lockout to end and let the Canucks win the lottery tomorrow :)
6.1% chance of that happening... :roll:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

$lacker wrote:Anyone else think the league may throw Linden a bone for all his hard work getting the lockout to end and let the Canucks win the lottery tomorrow :)
Man it'd be nice to actually win something in all these decades.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
Man it'd be nice to actually win something in all these decades.

They owe us from expansion anyway!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Taking Buffalo's first overall pick would be particularly sweet.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote:
They owe us from expansion anyway!
Revenge is a dish best served 42 years cold?
If you need air...call it in
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I had the same mischevious thought too. Just like Mario's Pens got "lucky" and won the Crosby lottery. Maybe Bettman will put his fingers on the scale to thank Linden for the cap...hey, I'll freaking take it!

And actually, beyond the conspiratorial stuff, I do think for whatever else Linden brings he gets the Canucks goodwill with the league and other GMs in a way that Mike smartest man in the room Gillis did not. How that plays out, I don't know, but if there is some sort of close call on a Canuck issue with the league, watch us get the call this time.