Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Betamax wrote:I want to be optimistic and hope the Canucks finish below the Hurricanes to secure that 6.2% chance and then pull off a shock win, and go on to draft no. 1 and pick one of the following: Bennett, Reinhart or Ekblad.

The only have to pull the upset and get into the top three for that!!
The rules for the draft lottery has changed with the new CBA in that all teams that miss playoffs, if they win the lottery, move up to the no. 1 spot and not just four places up like it was in the past.

As per the link: http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-lottery-odds/

Worst case scenario for the Canucks is for them to finish strong and have the other teams ahead of them stumble and they finish 10th overall and end up with only a 2.1% chance of winning.

Oh I know, just saying they don't to finish number one to get one of those three.
The only HW the Canucks need
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

The lottery is only for the #1 spot right? So the Canucks will end up, 1st, 6th, or 7th as the only options. Or I do have the lottery rules wrong?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Boston Canucker wrote:The lottery is only for the #1 spot right? So the Canucks will end up, 1st, 6th, or 7th as the only options. Or I do have the lottery rules wrong?
That's correct - and since I was curious enough to check for myself earlier, I'll also mention that it only affects the 1st round - so our 36th and 66th pick (and Carolina's 96th pick) are set in stone.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ok, that makes it clearer for me. I thought they could move up to any spot.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449349

"Our coach acted completely appropriately last night and Torts oughta keep his mouth shut," Burke said. "Apparently what outraged him was the cardinal sin of our coach arguing for a penalty while Daniel Sedin was being tended to on the ice.

"Paul Byron hit him. We think it's a hockey play. We don't think it's worth five minutes. We don't think it's worth further review. Call a five-minute penalty because the player is hurt, that's fine with us.

"Now the player gets attacked, punched repeatedly, no penalty. Where are the minor penalties against our player? Smallest player on the ice besides Johnny Gaudreau gets mugged, nothing.

"Bob had the temerity and the audacity to argue with the officials for these penalties while Daniel Sedin was on the ice. No one likes to see a player get hurt. We hear Daniel is fine, which is great news, but that is when Bob has to argue that.

"What Bob Hartley did last night was exactly what John Tortorella would have done had it been one of our players lying on the ice and he felt there was an inequity in the penalty calls.

"John Tortorella was on my staff for the Olympics in 2010. He's a good guy. I don't know what's going on in his head, but you know what? Shut your mouth and worry about your team. Leave my coach alone."
I find it hilarious that Burke advises anyone else to shut his yap! :lol:

I'd like to know why Burke feels the size of the player has anything to do with anything.

And given Torts' reaction (see GDT video) I suspect Sideshow Bob Hartley was doing hella more than...

"arguing for a penalty". :roll:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

After watching the press conferences of the core players and then Torts, while I want Torts gone, he was making way more sense than the players. I realize the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa are the core who will defend their buddies and keep believing, which is commendable in one sense, but man, they are freaking delusional if they really think they "are right there". They proved Torts' point about the core being stale in their Q&A. I still don't think Torts is the right coach for this team, but I was more comforted by the truths he spoke rather than the self-delusion of the players - Bieksa talking about how they just weren't getting the breaks, jeez!

Makes me also glad Gillis is gone. He couldn't pull of the moves to get this rebuild done, it's clear. I hope Linden gets a GM who is ready to act. I can live with the "going sideways" rebuild if it is really about getting young, bright players into the system. Linden has to kickstart this.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Boston Canucker wrote:After watching the press conferences of the core players and then Torts, while I want Torts gone, he was making way more sense than the players. I realize the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa are the core who will defend their buddies and keep believing, which is commendable in one sense, but man, they are freaking delusional if they really think they "are right there". They proved Torts' point about the core being stale in their Q&A. I still don't think Torts is the right coach for this team, but I was more comforted by the truths he spoke rather than the self-delusion of the players - Bieksa talking about how they just weren't getting the breaks, jeez!
I completely understand why the players said what they said. For them to suggest otherwise, would be throwing their own teammates under the bus. Basically, take what they say like a family member defending one of their own, despite rational evidence to suggest otherwise.

If they said anything differently, I would think there is dissension in the ranks. I guess they have their own "solidarity goatee" without having to physically show it.
Makes me also glad Gillis is gone. He couldn't pull of the moves to get this rebuild done, it's clear. I hope Linden gets a GM who is ready to act. I can live with the "going sideways" rebuild if it is really about getting young, bright players into the system. Linden has to kickstart this.
I can't disagree with your comment of his inability to pull off the moves to really reset the team and not the WTF? result the team ultimately turned in.

Michael D. Gillis put himself in a tough spot with all those NTCs which actually helped them keep the core that was within one game of the Holy Grail but it hindered him when it came to moving pieces of it when he knew he had to make some changes to it. Furthermore, it didn't help that he seemed to overvalue the market value of his players i.e. Bobby Lu and Edler (when he was rumored to be shopping him before NTC kicked in) and he wasn't aggressive enough to make the necessary and potentially risky bold moves that he boldly proclaimed when he was initially named as GM.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I had the same impression BC. Torts has handled himself well and the players seem to confirm that it's not his system, it was their failure to execute on a sustained level. It was refreshing to hear Torts say the team is stale and get over 2011' it's not 2011 anymore. I was left think maybe he does deserve one more year.

I like Kesler but I was left thinking, ya, it's time to move on especially if he brings back some pieces.

Everyone seems to agree we need changes but what changes will be debated. Seems like Torts is on the side that wants more than tinkering, not a rebuild, while the players seem to think minor changes, more tinkering. Really get the feeling that Torts is not a n Edler fan and he is a player Torts would be ok seeing gone. Maybe the way to get Edler to waive us to keep Torts :mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: Michael D. Gillis put himself in a tough spot with all those NTCs which actually helped them keep the core that was within one game of the Holy Grail but it hindered him when it came to moving pieces of it when he knew he had to make some changes to it. Furthermore, it didn't help that he seemed to overvalue the market value of his players i.e. Bobby Lu and Edler (when he was rumored to be shopping him before NTC kicked in) and he wasn't aggressive enough to make the necessary and potentially risky bold moves that he boldly proclaimed when he was initially named as GM.
So... pretty safe to assume the "D" does not stand for Daring... EH?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: Michael D. Gillis put himself in a tough spot with all those NTCs which actually helped them keep the core that was within one game of the Holy Grail but it hindered him when it came to moving pieces of it when he knew he had to make some changes to it. Furthermore, it didn't help that he seemed to overvalue the market value of his players i.e. Bobby Lu and Edler (when he was rumored to be shopping him before NTC kicked in) and he wasn't aggressive enough to make the necessary and potentially risky bold moves that he boldly proclaimed when he was initially named as GM.
So... pretty safe to assume the "D" does not stand for Daring... EH?
Yeah. I'm just speculating that it may have served him better if he had this, uh, on his body for inspiration:

But, unfortunately for him and Canucks nation, Michael D. Gillis didn't seem to believe in Tottenham F.C.'s motto, "Audere est Facere" and chose the path of the "Hair Side", instead. I guess I shall call it "MDG's Expression of Solidarity":

What say you? 8-)
Last edited by Betamax on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Danny boy is A-ok..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449321#YourCallTop
Daniel Sedin has seemingly escaped serious injury.

The Vancouver Canucks forward had a CT scan following a hit from behind into the boards by Paul Byron in Sunday night's season-ending 5-1 win over the Calgary Flames.

Late in the second period, Byron hit Sedin into the boards and the 33-year-old's head crashed into the glass. Byron received a five-minute major for boarding on the play and a game misconduct. No further discipline is expected for Byron.

Sedin met the media on Monday saying that everything will be fine health-wise.

"I hit my head on the glass," said Sedin, who finished the season with 16 goals and 31 assists in 73 games played. "I tried to lift my head, but couldn't get it off the ice. I thought: lay still."

The Swede admits that he was scared in the immediate aftermath of the incident.

"I was scared," said Sedin. "I felt something wasn't right. I couldn't lift my head off the ice. It feels okay today."
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:I had the same impression BC. Torts has handled himself well and the players seem to confirm that it's not his system, it was their failure to execute on a sustained level. It was refreshing to hear Torts say the team is stale and get over 2011' it's not 2011 anymore. I was left think maybe he does deserve one more year.

I like Kesler but I was left thinking, ya, it's time to move on especially if he brings back some pieces.

Everyone seems to agree we need changes but what changes will be debated. Seems like Torts is on the side that wants more than tinkering, not a rebuild, while the players seem to think minor changes, more tinkering. Really get the feeling that Torts is not a n Edler fan and he is a player Torts would be ok seeing gone. Maybe the way to get Edler to waive us to keep Torts :mrgreen:

How can players ever want more than just tinkering. Anything more means that they want out, or are willing to see a lot of their buddies go. either one sucks.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: What say you? 8-)
Agreed that MDG would have been better off running with the motto of the cock-loving scum

... than the sign of the ball-less wonder. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: What say you? 8-)
Agreed that MDG would have been better off running with the motto of the cock-loving scum

... than the sign of the ball-less wonder. :mrgreen:
lol ...
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Tciso wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I had the same impression BC. Torts has handled himself well and the players seem to confirm that it's not his system, it was their failure to execute on a sustained level. It was refreshing to hear Torts say the team is stale and get over 2011' it's not 2011 anymore. I was left think maybe he does deserve one more year.

How can players ever want more than just tinkering. Anything more means that they want out, or are willing to see a lot of their buddies go. either one sucks.
This is just an unalterable and inherent duplicity when players and the organization speak publicly. The players know change - likely significant change - going to happen, and they likely understand that it has to happen. Maybe some of them, even among the core, want that change even if it means them changing teams. They want to win and personnel changes are going to happen on any team - especially after a season like this.

The only person in that organization who is going to come close to accurately stating in public the scope and nature of this change will likely be Linden and the new GM. I don't even bother with anyone else's quotes on the subject.

Leave it to Torts to hammer the nail on the head when he said 2011 isn't there anymore. That's probably one more reason why he'll be gone: too publicly honest, sad to say.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.