Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Post by Betamax »

Diehard1 wrote:If they want to go after Kane that's fine, but Horvat and the 2014 pick should be off limits. If you can't get him without including those you move on and find a free agent or less expensive player to acquire via trade.
Uh, care to tell me a free agent or a "less expensive player" that you think the Canucks should target instead?

I'd prefer to give the 6th overall pick rather than Horvat as the main piece ... but given the stage where the Jets are, in trying to get into the playoffs for the first time in how many years in Winnipeg, I think they'd want a prospect that has one more year further ahead in development.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Betamax wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:If they want to go after Kane that's fine, but Horvat and the 2014 pick should be off limits. If you can't get him without including those you move on and find a free agent or less expensive player to acquire via trade.
Uh, care to tell me a free agent or a "less expensive player" that you think the Canucks should target instead?

I'd prefer to give the 6th overall pick rather than Horvat as the main piece ... but given the stage where the Jets are, in trying to get into the playoffs for the first time in how many years in Winnipeg, I think they'd want a prospect that has one more year further ahead in development.
Not so sure the Jets would want Horvat or the 6th pick. The word is the pressure is on them to win *now*. He probably wouldn't go there, but the type of player they need is a Kesler (even then, probably younger).
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Betamax wrote:

No, no I don't. I didn't suggest anybody because there's no use, but take your pick of any free agent who only costs money or any player on another team who might be available. Fact is Kane might be up there with the most expensive players you can pick up.

Really see no need to trade the pick either, why trade the first pick in the top 6 the team has had in over 15 years?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I don't want to trade horvat or the 6th either...I don't want to trade any of the youth at all...but I could edler, Hanson and gaunce for Kane or kaneish guy..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Diehard1 wrote:
Betamax wrote:

No, no I don't. I didn't suggest anybody because there's no use, but take your pick of any free agent who only costs money or any player on another team who might be available. Fact is Kane might be up there with the most expensive players you can pick up.

Really see no need to trade the pick either, why trade the first pick in the top 6 the team has had in over 15 years?
The problem is that with any decent UFA unless they have an affinity to come to the Canucks i.e. hometown guy like Hamhuis is that you are going to pay a premium and term. Just look at how the market blew up for "Wendel" Clarkson and the leaves are paying for it.

UFA cost not only money but occupy AAV, guaranteed to have NTC or NMC if they are any good and you are locked up with them for a long time. Just look at the Canucks' players with NTC/NMCS.

For good reason you would have to pay more for "The Real Deal." With E. Kane you are getting a premium young talent with no NTC who is just entering his prime. Michael D. Gillis said that Kassian types are rarely offered in the market. Well, E. Kane is a Kassian type but at a much higher and proven level and pedigree.

A less expensive player is generally not a potential elite level talent coming back. The Canucks need potential elite level talent in their top 3 entering their prime if they not want to just make the Playoffs and be a participant but actually win the tournament.

What say you? 8-)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Hockeynews is saying jets won't get a big name player back in the Kane deal..or at least it will be difficult...Due to decline over last 2 years... Then we should blow them away with edler and Hanson...no?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

rats19 wrote:Hockeynews is saying jets won't get a big name player back in the Kane deal..or at least it will be difficult...Due to decline over last 2 years... Then we should blow them away with edler and Hanson...no?

Easy said but Edler has to want to go there. And if he did want to go there a one for one swap should be enough. But ya, if Edler agreed to waive I'd do that deal, Edler or Edler + a little, to get that done. But since it is unlikely Edler will waive to go there would you do Tanev plus Hansen ? I would but would the Jets?
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:
rats19 wrote:Hockeynews is saying jets won't get a big name player back in the Kane deal..or at least it will be difficult...Due to decline over last 2 years... Then we should blow them away with edler and Hanson...no?

Easy said but Edler has to want to go there. And if he did want to go there a one for one swap should be enough. But ya, if Edler agreed to waive I'd do that deal, Edler or Edler + a little, to get that done. But since it is unlikely Edler will waive to go there would you do Tanev plus Hansen ? I would but would the Jets?
Well, if the new GM/Linden can convince or sell the Jets to take -39 (plus) for E. Kane, I would have to believe that the Canucks are in good hands in terms of their management team, moving forward.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Doesn't really make much sense for the Jets to be dealing a forward (who they probably still view as potentially a cornerstone of their franchise, lord knows we view him that way) for a defenseman (where they are loaded.. Enstrom Fugly Bogosian Trouba, plus Clitsome and Stuart making decent coin for years to come).

They are hurting for centers and forward depth in general, and might be coming around to the fact that Pavelec isn't going to get it done for them either.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dbr wrote:Doesn't really make much sense for the Jets to be dealing a forward (who they probably still view as potentially a cornerstone of their franchise, lord knows we view him that way) for a defenseman (where they are loaded.. Enstrom Fugly Bogosian Trouba, plus Clitsome and Stuart making decent coin for years to come).

They are hurting for centers and forward depth in general, and might be coming around to the fact that Pavelec isn't going to get it done for them either.

True that but there have been rumours all year that they may part with Fugly. We could throw in JS :mrgreen:

In all seriousness it will boil down to whether Kane's time is up in a Winnipeg and whether his stock is actually slipping because of his emerging reputation and slipping play. If Winnipeg feels compelled to move him they may not get back as much as they hoped. Somewhat like Edler with his sliding stock.

If the Canucks covet Kane, and I know the paddy GM did, they could find a way to get it done but it will cost us something and I doubt Edler would waive to go there. Nor would Kesler. In fact I find it hard to magine any of our NTC/NMC guys would.

I would part with pretty well any of our prospects, including Jensen, with the exception of Horvat plus to do the deal. I would not want to part with this years draft pick.

So that really doesn't leave us with a hell of a lot to offer Winnipeg if they are in a win now mode.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't see how we could feasibly do it.

If the Jets wanted to outright dump Kane and were looking for a quality-for-quantity type of deal we could certainly help them out - a handful of pretty solid young wingers (but nobody on Kane's level), a decent amount of NHL depth forwards like Higgins, Hansen etc, a couple of good young goalies, theoretically the budget to take on and buy out a player like Pavelec..

But I just don't see how they sell that kind of move to their fanbase. Maybe if we deal Edler or Kesler and get some additional assets in the fold some of those would be of interest.
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

Hockey Widow wrote:

I heard somewhere Maurice intends to play Byfuglien as forward next season, if it works well I can see a deal a couple of months in. But do we really want Kane? Not a fan of all the off ice issues.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

givemeda411 wrote: But do we really want Kane?
Oh fuck yes.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

What are these off ice issues anyway?
Is it just meathead I'm 24 and can drink whiskey straight from the bottle while doing lines on three chicks asses all the same time, issues?
Cause those kind of fix themselves with time
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

ukcanuck wrote:What are these off ice issues anyway?
Is it just meathead I'm 24 and can drink whiskey straight from the bottle while doing lines on three chicks asses all the same time, issues?
Cause those kind of fix themselves with time
Ryan Malone called, he'd like your attorney's business card.