Back in 2014/15. Out in 2014/15

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Back in 2014/15. Out in 2014/15

Post by Meds »

Well the fat lady has left the building.

After a performance like that, when the season was on the line and they came out that flat against an Anaheim team that, quite honestly, didn't look overly intimidating tonight, one has to think that nobody outside of the Sedins is safe.....even though they were fairly terrible tonight too.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote:Well the fat lady has left the building.

After a performance like that, when the season was on the line and they came out that flat against an Anaheim team that, quite honestly, didn't look overly intimidating tonight, one has to think that nobody outside of the Sedins is safe.....even though they were fairly terrible tonight too.
All the players are safe, remember MG says he will not ask anyone with a NTC to move.

He has no balls to make deals that are needed, he needs to be gone to allow in a GM who thinks Canucks first not getting down and doing the players.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

MG won't ask a player to waive but as we have seen he has ways of getting someone else to nose around. Wonder if the leaks about Kesler allegedly asking for a trade were planted by the organization. Luongo was never asked but his situation was such he asked. Kesler was obviously prepared to be traded on deadline day so someone is talking. Bieksa has made it clear he won't waive. And Edler and Burrows don't want to waive but may consider a deal in the offseason, just not during the season. Hamhuis said he won't waive. Garrison is on the fence but leaning towards a no waive. So someone knows what players are apt to do what. All of this and MG never has to ask anyone.

I don't put any stock in that. BB also used to say he'd never ask a player to waive, they earned the NTC blah, blah, blah. But he changed his tune in Toronto very quickly and justified by saying he wasn't the one to give the NTC so he could ask but he would never ask a player he gave one to.

If the Canucks want to trade players with NTC I think they might have a shot at Kesler with two possibles in Edler and Burrows. Edler was heavily shopped at the deadline and supposedly a deal was in place with Boston contingent on MG making the Kesler deal. But Edler says he wasn't asked. Tells me there were no deals being made but that the Canucks were testing the waters and also sending a message to the players.

Sort of like MG did with Luongo. He fielded calls on Luongo before CS was proclaimed the new number one that deadline day before the LA series. Once that leaked out and Luongo was pulled the process started. It seems to be the way this organization does business. Everyone and their uncle assumed CS was going to be traded either at the deadline or in the off season and MG is talking to Florida and Toronto on deadline day about moving Luongo. In fairness that was the start of Luongo's personal issues so maybe they saw the writing on the wall in addition to falling in love with CS.

My point is if they want to move someone they can do it all without MG asking a damn thing. Sneaky is sneaky gets.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Holy shit that was fast....
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Given the new regime in place I'm not sure who is coming or going, if Kes is staying or getting traded, if Edler is back, if Torts is fired, etc.

What I do know is that this team needs changes, and not just the coach or a 3rd line winger. They need to change at least one and maybe two core pieces because there's way too much lethargy and comfort on this team. One or two of the twins (not going to happen), Kesler (maybe), Burr (doubt it), Edler (maybe), Bieksa (doubt it), Hamhuis (doubt it) need to go. This team just doesn't have it anymore, hasn't had it for a few years, I really hope the new regime doesn't give them another chance as they have had enough.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

As much as I would love to see him finish his career as a Canuck, Kesler is the logical one to trade. He should get a good return for the Canucks and allow them to retool quite quickly. I am one that doesn't think Vancouver is in that bad a position, IF, we handle this offseason well. Horvat coming in along with the returns from a Kesler and Edler(yeah, I would probably trade him too) trade, should see us rebuild our offensive lines quickly. As well, with the extra cap room, we should be able to bring in some decent players to help our offense out. It all depends on how the new GM handles this offseason.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So do we stick with the Lack / Markstrom combo - or bring a vet to help Lack out?

List of UFA goalies

All in the 2mil range with this year's contracts:
Vokoun?
Brian Elliot?
Bring LaBarbra back? (nah)
Bryzgalov
Giguere
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Yeah, bring in one of those guys, I would be happy with at least 3 of them as a back up to Lack.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Cornuck wrote:So do we stick with the Lack / Markstrom combo - or bring a vet to help Lack out?

List of UFA goalies

Vokoun?
Brian Elliot?
Bryzgalov
Giguere
I'd be ok with Markstrom. he showed some promise. But, I'd also keep my eyes open for a replacement. He's on the low end of acceptable for a backup. What about Ericksson from the AHL??
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Tciso wrote:
Cornuck wrote:So do we stick with the Lack / Markstrom combo - or bring a vet to help Lack out?

List of UFA goalies

Vokoun?
Brian Elliot?
Bryzgalov
Giguere
I'd be ok with Markstrom. he showed some promise. But, I'd also keep my eyes open for a replacement. He's on the low end of acceptable for a backup. What about Ericksson from the AHL??
How about Marty? :mrgreen:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tciso wrote:

List of UFA goalies

Vokoun?
Brian Elliot?
Bryzgalov
Giguere
No way in hell do we have two rookie/sophomore goalies here next season, bring in a vet for one season, maybe trade one of Lack or Markstrom for help up front or defense.

Just got to keep that option open of potentially getting Schneider back in 2015 or possibly trading back for him at the deadline if NJ can't re-sign him.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:
Tciso wrote:

List of UFA goalies

Vokoun?
Brian Elliot?
Bryzgalov
Giguere
No way in hell do we have two rookie/sophomore goalies here next season, bring in a vet for one season, maybe trade one of Lack or Markstrom for help up front or defense.

Just got to keep that option open of potentially getting Schneider back in 2015 or possibly trading back for him at the deadline if NJ can't re-sign him.
Frankly, I see that decision being made either near the end or after training camp. Seems the organization is high on both Eddie and Jake, and God knows there will be some decent backups available at the time. Even if they have to offer one of them a PTO or something. I'm not fussed.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Halak.
The only HW the Canucks need