Kesler has requested a trade

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Mondi wrote:If you're the Caps GM, do you look at Kesler and Edler for Ovechkin?

How's that for a bold move? :shock: 8-) :roll:
Ovechkin is the face of Washington's franchise and brings in significant revenue from a marketing standpoint. Washington will never give him up.
A 50 goal/85 point player who is a minus-35 is not someone you want to be saddled with at Ovie's price tag. TSN did a segment the other night, apparently Ovechkin has been averaging around 6 minutes of 5-on-5 TOI over the last dozen or so games.....and his +/- keeps plummeting. They really tore him a new one for his defensive play.....or lack thereof rather.

That's not to seem like I'm saying I wouldn't want him on my team, just that he's not someone that I'd sell the farm and gut the core to get.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Diehard1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:@TEAM1040:
Kesler on future in Van: "I've been a Canuck from Day One. Hopefully I can retire as a Canuck, but your dreams don't always pan out"

And then there is this.
Kes is doing his best to straddle the fence - he knows he's out of here but doesn't want to look like the bad guy. He's gone in the summer and won't be the only change.

Personally I don't mind, haven't liked his game since the deadline at all, he seems to have mailed it in as his effort level has dropped. Not a big fan of players who do that.
Yeah, Kes didn't seem like he was giving his 100% ever since he came back from the Olympics, I know he was fighting some injuries, so I dunno. It'll be interesting to see in the off season if he backs up what he said about wanting to say here. He said he paid the school fees for his kid's private school already, but it's obviously chump change for the money he makes. Gillis should try to re-sign him in the offseason and see where it goes. If it's pretty clear he has no intention in re-signing, then let the Kesler sweepstakes begin. :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

^^^
Can't re-sign him until the end of next season. Can only do extensions in the final year of an existing contract. That's what makes this challenging.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote:^^^
Can't re-sign him until the end of next season. Can only do extensions in the final year of an existing contract. That's what makes this challenging.
Ah, k. Well at the end of the season, MG can at least have a frank man to man discussion with Kes and see if he really wants to stay here. I'm sure Kes will be straight with MG behind close doors of his true intentions (no media and no need to play up the fans).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

nhl14 mode, if Buffalo gets the NYI 1st, how about we trade Kesler + our 6th overall pick for 1st overall.

Kesler agrees as he and Patrick Kane(2015 UFA) have the master plan to join his beloved hometown team Buffalo anyways.

hah :eh:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

SKYO wrote:nhl14 mode, if Buffalo gets the NYI 1st, how about we trade Kesler + our 6th overall pick for 1st overall.

Kesler agrees as he and Patrick Kane(2015 UFA) have the master plan to join his beloved hometown team Buffalo anyways.

I don't know that the jump from 6 to 1 this year is worth Kesler, as opposed to say next year if Mcdavid is the real deal.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Boston Canucker wrote:
SKYO wrote:nhl14 mode, if Buffalo gets the NYI 1st, how about we trade Kesler + our 6th overall pick for 1st overall.

I don't know that the jump from 6 to 1 this year is worth Kesler, as opposed to say next year if Mcdavid is the real deal.
If McDavid is the real deal, and everyone in the hockey world seems to think he is, then whatever team gets the first overall pick next year is definitely NOT going to part with it. If McDavid lives up to the hype he's another Crosby.....you just don't pass up on that.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Mëds wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:

If McDavid is the real deal, and everyone in the hockey world seems to think he is, then whatever team gets the first overall pick next year is definitely NOT going to part with it. If McDavid lives up to the hype he's another Crosby.....you just don't pass up on that.
I agree. My point was more about overvaluing this year's #1 pick. There is enough debate about who will go #1, with no consensus, that it may be the case that the #3 or #4 pick could get the guy you want, or maybe you get real lucky and he drops to #6.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

To all Kesler fans...

Dreger saying Philly on Kesler's 6 team list, both him and Kypreos say he's on trade block.
Kesler definitely wants out I suppose, wants a new change of scenery.

Ducks probably can offer the most.

#EverythingIsHappening.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:To all Kesler fans...

Dreger saying Philly on Kesler's 6 team list, both him and Kypreos say he's on trade block.

#EverythingIsHappening.
And so begins the rebuild. I told you guys he was outty.

Love Kesler but it's for the best.

If they trade him for another vet I'll lose it.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:To all Kesler fans...

#EverythingIsHappening.
And so begins the rebuild. I told you guys he was outty.

Love Kesler but it's for the best.

If they trade him for another vet I'll lose it.
via: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/3 ... ree-agents
June 6 2014
5:59
PM ET
By Pierre LeBrun | ESPN.com
Sources said new Canucks GM Jim Benning has already taken calls from teams on Kesler, if for no other reason than they’re wondering if he’s still available or not.

He is, but the price remains high.

Kesler has two more years on his deal at a reasonable $5 million cap hit and will be a hot commodity again if Vancouver steps up trade efforts.My sense is that the Canucks, in any package, would want both an asset who can help them right now (preferably a center) plus future assets. And, yes, I think Kesler still wants out of Vancouver. TSN colleague Darren Dreger reported Friday that it's believed Kesler has a list of six teams he’d be willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to.
Nothing really new, but the Flyers' has some interesting roster player(e) i.e. B. Schenn that could be part of the package.

Furthermore, their owner isn't exactly a spring chicken and has had health issues, so he is in "win now mode." :mex:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

And this is how we are going to get the assets to get Reinhart. Boom! Sam R is so Canuck its Krazy! JB likes him, JB wants him, JB needs him.

GM/President Bendin will get er done
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:And this is how we are going to get the assets to get Reinhart. Boom! Sam R is so Canuck its Krazy! JB likes him, JB wants him, JB needs him.

GM/President Bendin will get er done
So, you're sayin' B. Schenn and the sixth for the Panthers' 1st overall pick? I'd be okay with that. :mex:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Kesler to Flyers for

2014 1st round pick - 17th overall
Prospect - Scott Laughton (Cassels Oshawa teammate)
Brayden Schenn or Couturier

And then try to slay a Reinhart trade
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:Kesler to Flyers for

2014 1st round pick - 17th overall
Prospect - Scott Laughton (Cassels Oshawa teammate)
Brayden Schenn or Couturier

And then try to slay a Reinhart trade
I think the Canucks' would be BEYOND GOOD if they could get two out of the three you listed.

However, trying to acquire Couturier in a Kesler trade, IMO, is a non-starter from a Flyers' perspective.