Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Don't fool yourself Doc, Trev is more than a figurehead. He'll be driving policy, he'll be deciding on the management personnel, hiring a GM and having a strong input on front office assistants and coaching staffs. His experience with the PA, his years in business and his playing career will all be beneficial. A simple figurehead he will not be.
There are varying degrees of "figurehead".

Mathonwy (AKA "Panic Attack) (RIP) goes by the least degree, so the word seemed to have a calming effect

(never forget that the Great Strangelove's prime directive is to help people).

However I spelled out my true definition here:

viewtopic.php?p=199771#p199771

Also I keep saying TL is smart enough, team-player enough to know that he needs advice right now

(he said words to that effect in the presser).

As I say, over time, he will be less & less of a figurehead.

Hiring him was a GREAT PR move for right now, and could possibly turn into a great move period.

If not he eventually walks the plank like Nonis/Gillis etc.... oh well.
Topper wrote: I also worry that those players will have a conduit of communication directly to Linden's office bypassing coach and GM.
This is an interesting and relevant thought.

Although the players with said conduit are all character guys imo, so probably not a negative?

I dunno, we shall see...
Topper wrote: The only thing certain is that if this appointment fools fickle season ticket holders it only proves they were born a minute apart.
OH it will fool them, meaning the expectations will be high.

But they will no doubt be more patient with Figurehead Linden in charge.

Like I say, hiring Linden was a good move.

Personally I would have preferred Clarkie! :thumbs:

... no doubt a lot of the fools and their money would disappear for awhile

... but they'd be back when the winning starts. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Catch the Q & A with Trevor over at CDC. Barry MacDonald has him on the Q&A for about 38 minutes.

No real revelations, mostly fluff to address the fan base. But boy, it really is refreshing to hear him talk and not be listening to an arrogant, bombastic personality.

It does seem obvious that his candidates are with other teams. Says some he will be able to get permission to speak as soon as the season is over, others as they get eliminated. Then cautions that a candidate may be with a team that goes to the finals so it could be a longer process.

Asked if he would be looking to hire a GM that he has a close, current relationship, he says doubtful. Isn't looking for someone he is currently tight with. Perhaps someone he has had a good relationship in the past, like a former teammate, but through time there is distance.

Sounds like Benning in Boston to me!

Anyway, a fun fluff interview. Although some may cringe when he says he relies a lot on gut feelings!, :oops: :?:

And for the foodies out there, he was asked to bring in Poutine, said alright, he'd definitely look into that!
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Catch the Q & A with Trevor over at CDC. Barry MacDonald has him on the Q&A for about 38 minutes.

No real revelations, mostly fluff to address the fan base. But boy, it really is refreshing to hear him talk and not be listening to an arrogant, bombastic personality.

It does seem obvious that his candidates are with other teams. Says some he will be able to get permission to speak as soon as the season is over, others as they get eliminated. Then cautions that a candidate may be with a team that goes to the finals so it could be a longer process.

Asked if he would be looking to hire a GM that he has a close, current relationship, he says doubtful. Isn't looking for someone he is currently tight with. Perhaps someone he has had a good relationship in the past, like a former teammate, but through time there is distance.

Sounds like Benning in Boston to me!

Anyway, a fun fluff interview. Although some may cringe when he says he relies a lot on gut feelings!, :oops: :?:

And for the foodies out there, he was asked to bring in Poutine, said alright, he'd definitely look into that!
Depending on how "active" Trev wants to be in the day to day decision making ... I could see an internal hire with Gilman as the GM if he shares the same "vision" and "profile" of a team that Trev wants. I heard Gilman interviewed, and he comes across as very impressive person when it comes to hockey IQ, and almost as important has a likeable persona ... which is sort of the anti-thesis of what we typically heard when former GMMG was interviewed by the media. There would probably be cost savings as well i.e. if Benning is hired, he might possibly want to hire his own right hand man and clean house etc.. but with Gilman's intimate knowledge being with the team for the past six years, I gotta feeling he'd probably recommend something a lot less than a "scorched earth" policy.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Nice having a yakkypants who knows hockey..

Welcome betamax
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Look what the cat dragged in.. :lol:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Trevor talked about a team of three. A GM and two assistants. I can't really see someone with a current team making a lateral move. Gilman is perfect in the role he has now. Good with the cap, good with contracts and good with other GM's. Henning is well suited to where he is.

I don't preclude the possibility that Gilman gets the job but I get a sense Trevor already has a short list and has a good idea of who he wants. Since he says his first major priority is to get a GM in place I think if Gilman was getting the job he would make that decision now. Again I don't preclude him but I think bringing in someone from the outside, new eyes, new voice, and keeping the two assistants we have is a better model.

But it's all speculation. What you say makes a ton of sense. Something to be excited about as a Canuck fan. :mrgreen:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:Look what the cat dragged in.. :lol:
You can thank (or blame) the Linden hire, cyber bro dave ... 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Trevor talked about a team of three. A GM and two assistants. I can't really see someone with a current team making a lateral move. Gilman is perfect in the role he has now. Good with the cap, good with contracts and good with other GM's. Henning is well suited to where he is.

I don't preclude the possibility that Gilman gets the job but I get a sense Trevor already has a short list and has a good idea of who he wants. Since he says his first major priority is to get a GM in place I think if Gilman was getting the job he would make that decision now. Again I don't preclude him but I think bringing in someone from the outside, new eyes, new voice, and keeping the two assistants we have is a better model.

But it's all speculation. What you say makes a ton of sense. Something to be excited about as a Canuck fan. :mrgreen:
I disagree. Naming a GM less than a week of being named head of hockey operations would be bad optics and there would be rightly a perception of not doing his "due diligence."

So they need to go through a process of interviewing several qualified external candidates at a minimum.

If Linden wants to really be "hands-on" and involved in hockey decisions, Gilman with his analytics and CBA background and contract negotiating acumen could provide a near perfect partnership, IMO with Linden.

In that scenario, Linden would be the "new eyes, new voice" to the management group.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Trevor talked about a team of three. A GM and two assistants. I can't really see someone with a current team making a lateral move. Gilman is perfect in the role he has now. Good with the cap, good with contracts and good with other GM's. Henning is well suited to where he is.

I disagree. Naming a GM less than a week of being named head of hockey operations would be bad optics and there would be rightly a perception of not doing his "due diligence."

So they need to go through a process of interviewing several qualified external candidates at a minimum.

If Linden wants to really be "hands-on" and involved in hockey decisions, Gilman with his analytics and CBA background and contract negotiating acumen could provide a near perfect partnership, IMO with Linden.

In that scenario, Linden would be the "new eyes, new voice" to the management group.
Agreed. TL needs to explore the options and make the best choice possible of all top candidates. It could very well be Gilman who gets the job. What he doesn't need to do is the long drawn out tedious process that they took last summer hiring the coach.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

on cbc...

Linden referencing boston model - team benning.

he'll be having a talk with quinn soon.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
S_C
Not that there is anything wrong with these sorts of feelings
LOL Mr Archivist! :lol:

... but I suspect these days SC is in love with Horvat. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:on cbc...

Referenced Boston as far as rolling 4 lines, everyone knowing their roles.

Buh bye Torts.

And yeah, pretty obvious Quinn will be an adviser.

Linden is refreshingly transparent....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:on cbc...

Referenced Boston as far as rolling 4 lines, everyone knowing their roles.

Buh bye Torts.

And yeah, pretty obvious Quinn will be an adviser.

Linden is refreshingly transparent....
I like that he is a talker :mrgreen: maybe my pipeline will open up a little more, especially if Quinn is brought in. That's a guy that likes to talk .
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:And yeah, pretty obvious Quinn will be an adviser.
Bushmills or Tullamore Dew
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

If he wants to bring Quinn in as an advisor, I can see the sense in that, but his GM has to not only come from outside the organization he also should not come from the Quinn/Burke/Nonis pipeline. The team needs a clear-eyed view of the organization, not holding on to people in key positions out of loyalty. I expect Gilman to stay on as AGM, capologist, unless he gets a GM offer elsewhere, but there's no way he gets the GM job in Van. I hope it is Benning or some other AGM from another strong team, a guy whose previous ties to the Canucks org are either non-existent or minimal, such as Benning.