All things FA Presser

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: All things FA Presser

Post by Cornuck »

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ok presser. FA has his talking a points and sounds like a parrot. He came back to his talking points no matter the question.

I liked Trevor's honesty. Admitted he had to lie about being contacted by the Canucks out of respect for his business partner and out of respect for Mike and his wife. No trying to BS us that this happened overnight. I liked how he owned it and called it what it was. I like how he then apologized for doing so.

Obvious he was contacted by Aquos before Mike was fired. Had time to think about and talk to other ex players in a similar role.

Close to the Aquos family and especially the parents. Wants to work close with the family but has full autonomy and is satisfied with the level of autonomy he has been given.

Has some ideas about what is wrong but refused to get into a discussion until after he has had a chance to speak to everyone in the organization including the player interviews.

Has a profile of the type of GM he wants and a profile of the management team he wants to surround himself with but again declined to give specifics at this time. Hopes to have a GM in place sooner rather than later but said it could be early to mid June depending upon a variety of factors, one of which is getting permission to speak to some individuals. First order of business, with respect to the GM, is to create a candidates list.

Was asked about his policy of cell phones in pressers. He laughed and said if it's important to you go for it. Cell phones are not a problem. Wonder if Torts was listening.

Asked about Torts and certainly gave no ringing endorsement. Said he would evaluate in the next 1-2 weeks all the staff.

Said he will be an active president, active and involved in ALL hockey decisions. Obviously he will need a GM that feels the same way.

FA

Asked who hired Torts. Said MG was responsible for hiring Torts and he fully supported MG's decision. Then added that he had to accept responsibility for that decision . Did not sound like a ringing endorsement for Torts to me.

Admitted the timing was in response to business needs and that season ticket deadline has been extended to all ticket holders a chance to digest the news and hear Trevor's plan and vision.

Also acknowledged that he reached out to Trevor days ago, so the firing of MG was made days ago and I think they just waited until the team was officially eliminated.

As usual I just laughed at FA, he is so over his head in these pressers. But I really liked Trevor's presser. Such a breath of fresh air hearing the president speak and not be so arrogant or dismissive of the press. He looked and sounded very comfortable, excited and in his element.

I found myself thinking that it is only fitting we hoist our first new era cup with Trevor at the helm.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:I found myself thinking that it is only fitting we hoist our first new era cup with Trevor at the helm.
Now that's an idea I can get behind!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Asked who hired Torts. Said MG was responsible for hiring Torts and he fully supported MG's decision. Then added that he had to accept responsibility for that decision . Did not sound like a ringing endorsement for Torts to me.
I caught this too. Which sounds like FA is lying, or Gillis has been deflecting a lot of responsibility for the decision. Not sure which I find to be more likely.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

First off I want to acknowledge that I cut and pasted this from Cowpuke. It is a very good synopsis of the presser. So thanks and credit to poster Diane-Phaneuf:

-Aquilini thanks Gillis
-Introduces Trevor as President (they both stand up for awkward Photo op.)
-Hands it over to Linden, thanks Aquilini family, Family, friends for encouragement to take oppurtunity
-Says today is a huge honor, came 26 years ago and never left
-Wasn't sure when or in what capacity but always remained a goal to get back in the game
-When this came up he couldn't pass it up
-Will do whatever he can to deliver a championship caliber team to this city

Q&A (can't hear all questions)

-(T) He called Global news and apologized for yesterday, said he was in an impossible situation with Mike Gillis' new not announced yet
-(T) Has known Aquilini's for a long time, oppurtunity came up recently
-(T) Has to evaluate and do a GM search within and outside organization
-(F) Trevor has full control over hockey decisions
-(T) always knew he would come back to hockey, never wanted to work for another organization, has followed team closely since he retired
-(T) Anytime a team doesn't succeed or misses the playoffs everyone is unhappy, but that's not why he came back, more based on timing in his life
-(T)Timing allows him to fully evaluate coaching staff (Met Torts this morning for first time), will sit down with players after the season and talk about issues with their season and decision will be made down the road
-(T) Selecting GM is the first critical step
-(F) Trevor is President of Hockey Operations, Victor will still run the business side
-(T) Wants to assist on Business side where he can, but fully focused on Hockey side, in terms of other business ventures his partner will take more control
-(T) Phoned Pat Quinn when he got job
-(T) (asked about playing with some of the current players) Has full respect for everyone but will assess the best path for Organization, will do what he has to do to get back to a winning organization
-(T) (asked about style of play) He comes from the school that fundamental sound hockey is winning hockey, big believe that playing defensive should not compromise offense, people love teams that are fast and entertaining. Doesn't buy in to offensive or defensive teams, just winning hockey
-(T) Thinks team has under performed this season but doesn't want to go further, will sit down with coaches/players over the next week, reserves comment until more detail
-(T) Important for entire organization to be aligned, wants to treat all customers the same, be it from community work to business partners (was essentially a question about Gillis being arrogant and he sidestepped it)
-(T) (asked about some people thinking it's a PR move) said he talked to Joe Sakic, knows that it's important to surround himself with good, thoughtful, independent thinkers
-(F) (asked about style of play) he agrees with Trevor, this was a disappointing season
-(F) Thanks Mike for years of service, today is about going forward, best of Canucks are ahead of us, Trevor will put together winning plan
-(F) Mike hired Torts and he supported the hiring, so he takes full responsibility
-(T) Purposely stayed away for a few years after he left, doesn't feel like he was kept at arms length by Gillis
-(T) Huge sports fan, thinks NHL has never been greater, looking forward to bringing fun and entertaining hockey to Vancouver
-(F) (asked about economics of missing playoffs) (completely avoided the question)
-(T) (asked when he hires GM how he sees himself functioning) has a profile of a GM he would like, has a profile for whole group he would like, that will be part of hire. Putting Candidate list together. He wants to make sure Hockey Ops team is well balanced. Will work with GM on pro side, amateur side. Gives examples of being involved with how they use trainers, medical stuff etc.
-(T) Likes the core, but at this juncture full evaluation is needed of where we are, how we got there and how to get better
-(F) (asked about ST renewals) We are selling tickets, extending deadline, give ST holders a chance to review what has happened
-(T) Wants to have a GM by draft, hopefully earlier
-(T) (asked about facing criticism) says he has kind of been backup QB the last few years, everyone loves the backup QB, but going forward is fully prepared for the potential people may not be happy with you
-(T) (asked about qualities in a GM) says he has profile of what he wants team to look like, gaining permission to speak to certain people will be a challenge, thats when he will be able to speak more freely about it
-(T) Incredible opportunity, mentions this is a model a lot of sports franchises across sport are moving too
-(F) (why was Mike Gillis fired) thanks Mike for years of service, came within 1 game of SC, was time for a change, all fans are disappointed this year, wants a new direction, new voice
-(T) Hopes to be in this job for a very long time, would love to be sitting here in 20 years
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BurningBeard wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Asked who hired Torts. Said MG was responsible for hiring Torts and he fully supported MG's decision. Then added that he had to accept responsibility for that decision . Did not sound like a ringing endorsement for Torts to me.
I caught this too. Which sounds like FA is lying, or Gillis has been deflecting a lot of responsibility for the decision. Not sure which I find to be more likely.

Well FA certainly is very sensitive to the issue:

Canucks owners threaten legal action if you claim they hired John Tortorella
By Greg Wyshynski | Puck Daddy – 2 hours 47 minutes ago

The Associated Press/DARRYL DYCK - Vancouver Canucks coach John Tortorella, center, talks to Nicklas …more
Share19Tweet
Trevor Linden has been announced as Vancouver Canucks president of hockey operations, which is a coup for ownership from a public relations standpoint. Maybe that’ll help balance out this PR disaster: Owner Francesco Aquilini and his family are threatening legal action against two newspapers that claimed they were responsible for John Tortorella’s hiring as head coach.
According to the Globe & Mail, both they and The Province in Vancouver were sent letters from the owners’ lawyers regarding those reports. From David Ebner of the Globe:
On Monday, Francesco Aquilini sent a Globe and Mail reporter a text message warning of legal action after the newspaper published a story discussing the family’s involvement in the hiring.
“I read your article today. You are a prick,” it said.
Two hours later, a legal letter from the family’s counsel arrived by e-mail. It alleged defamation, sought a retraction and an apology, and threatened further action.
“The facts are that while the Aquilinis supported the decision of the General Manager, the hiring decision was his and not theirs,” lawyer Howard Shapray of Vancouver-based Shapray Cramer Fitterman Lamer LLP wrote in the legal letter to The Globe.
Well, as the Globe & Mail notes, the facts are that the Aquilini family was involved in the hiring process, as former GM Mike Gillis noted when Tortorella was hired. But Gillis and the family have always claimed they weren’t the final call.
As Ebner writes:
The Aquilinis’ statements skirt how the hiring played out. Mr. Gillis last year had invited the Aquilinis into interviews with various coaches. The family, according to a person with direct knowledge of the events, was particularly taken with Mr. Tortorella, who had been fiery in the past. They saw a coach who could revive an underperforming hockey team. The Aquilinis wanted Mr. Tortorella, and Mr. Gillis and the other hockey executives came to the same conclusion.
So the folks who write the checks wanted something, and the people cashing them went along with it. Novel concept, that one.
Wonder who the Aquilinis will blame if Linden isn’t the answer …

Has to make you wonder why he is so sensitive. Is he a meddling owner or was MG masterful at deflection and leaving that impression as a way to protect himself.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Has to make you wonder why he is so sensitive. Is he a meddling owner or was MG masterful at deflection and leaving that impression as a way to protect himself.
I'm more likely to believe it's the latter. Why would they draw attention to it by threatening a lawsuit unless they could back it up? Maybe they canned Gillis because they were sick of this shit? It's funny how all the rumors come out about ownership meddling in the decision making process, once a few regrettable decisions are made.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:I found myself thinking that it is only fitting we hoist our first new era cup with Trevor at the helm.
Fixed.

And definitely fitting.....Although I will forever wish that that day had Trevor as the one actually taking the Cup for the first lap.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:
Fixed.

And definitely fitting.....Although I will forever wish that that day had Trevor as the one actually taking the Cup for the first lap.

Stop. We have a cup that counts just as much as all those old Hab and Leaf cups. The city of Vancouer has a team that has won a cup!!

That is why I qualified it by saying new era cup.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote:
After watching the presser it seems very clear to me that Torts is gone.

Pretty sure that decision has already been made.

And hey, any self-respecting GM is gonna wanna bring in his own coach, so it's all good.

Wait... did I just say Mike Gillis was not self-respecting?? :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Has to make you wonder why he is so sensitive. Is he a meddling owner or was MG masterful at deflection and leaving that impression as a way to protect himself.
I'm more likely to believe it's the latter. Why would they draw attention to it by threatening a lawsuit unless they could back it up? Maybe they canned Gillis because they were sick of this shit? It's funny how all the rumors come out about ownership meddling in the decision making process, once a few regrettable decisions are made.
Yeah, ole Mikey did go from "I believe in Team Management"... to 'Why those meddling you-know-wots!' :lol:

Or something like that...
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

BurningBeard wrote:
Good observation. And we all know how Gillis loves to use "rumors" as part of his media repertoire.

I would have to agree with your statement of the owners being sick of his shit.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

RoyalDude wrote:HW like Tony Gallagher seems upset that Gillis was fired? Why? Everyone in town is in celebration except you two?
There is obviously a big back story with Gallagher/Gillis/Linden.

During the lockout Gillis was an agent heavily supporting Goodenow. Gallagher was also a very strong supporter of Goodenow. When Linden helped get the deal done with Saskin it pushed Goodenow out which didnt sit well with either Gallagher or Gillis.

Gallagher has always been a strong proponent of Agents becoming GM's and rumors were that he pushed Gillis hard to Acquilini's back when Nonis was fired. Gallagher has a recently as last year called Gillis the best GM the Canucks have ever had.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Apparently during the pre game show yesterday Gallagher said that the Canucks will get more breaks from the refs now because Bettman owes Linden.

Even if Linden did go behind Goodenow and broker a deal (which it is pretty well known he did) didnt it work out really good for the players ??

Gallagher needs to move on.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I do remember that MG was planing the retirement party before Trevor officially announced he was retiring. At the time I remember thinking Trevor had no choice but to retire, even if he wanted one more year. Felt like the Canucks wanted him to walk away but didn't want the embarrassment of not offering him a new contract at the end of the year so they gave him a little nudge to help him out the door. I didn't know the back story though.