And So The Axe Falls

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Boston Canucker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:36 pm

Mondi wrote:How upset is Tony G about all this?! Wow, he's finally lost his inside source, he pissed, and it's obvious.


He'll probably try recommending Brian Lawton next...
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Arachnid » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:51 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Well I am surprised, very much so. Not so much that MG was fired but that it was done this quickly. But the Aquas did say failing to make the playoffs was not an option.

They have also shown that defiance will be death with swiftly, aka, Nonis.

Now both MG and Nonis were fired for various reasons but in the end they both showed that they did not want to be puppets.

No question MG through his combined efforts is ultimately responsible for the product on the ice. His undoing has been his inability to consummate a trade of any significance that has positive impact for the Canucks. Perhaps having two star players in short order becoming disgruntled and wanting out was too much. Perhaps public ally drawing a line in the sand earned him the immediate departure.

Just before the Olypmic break FA intimated that injuries were the problem and he didn't foresee the need for big changes. Perhaps just public speak, perhaps sincere. Maybe he was interviewing MG's replacement. But if he was leaning this way perhaps had he acted then and made Gillman interm MG we may have seen some improvement earlier or the Luongo situation could have been handled differently, or a trade made, or deadline day handled differently.

Anyway, thanks Mike for all the successful years, for bringing us within one game of it all. Didn't expect it to be this soon but glad you don't have to endure two more home games and the silly chants. I doubt you will find a job soon in hockey, you don't seem to be a popular kinda guy, the arrogance thing. So why not tell all, for shits and giggles :mrgreen:


So what you are painting is...when we go to the final again in a few years Gillis will get all the credit because the new GM will inherit his deft (daft?!) drafting :P
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4972
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:27 pm

^^^
Not painting that picture at all. I am surprised at the swiftness of the move. I did think MG would get one more year but overall I cannot find fault with him being fired. He has made some good draft picks the last two years. If they pan out and are the future he should get recognition but if we get back to contender status that will be on the new GM.

Nonis and BB put some good pieces in place but MG got us to the finals. Plain and simple. But his time was up.

One thing for sure, my lethargy surrounding the team has gone. I am now excited to see how this unfolds and hopeful for the future. Glad the Aquas stopped the bleeding now. Hey, maybe that was the idea behind firing MG now!
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3876
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:10 pm

Apparently Farhan has tweeted that both MG and Torts have buyout provisions in their respective contracts for around 50%. Have no idea, obviously, if true. But if true it makes it easier for the Aquos to stomach this and a possible Torts firing as well. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3876
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Topper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:15 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:I'm glad Gilman and Henning are still here as they are valuable members of the team. Makes me think they may hire a GM who isn't all that experienced while keeping these two around him.

There will be more to come, would be nice to see somebody like Nicholson come in and play the John Davidson role. We will see.


Gilman and Henning still here will help me sleep well tonight.

Islander's management soup mix.

Strangelove wrote:However, come morning, if it turns out they've hired Feaster....

Image

LOL, go ahead, renew those season tickets tonight, all will be well, honest.

Gillis to Calgary with Burke?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4771
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:44 am

I'm a bit surprised that Gillis got canned because I always thought he had the support of the Aqua-men, but at the same time, nothing the Aqua-men does really surprises me. It seems like they (ownership) do things out of a whim at times and are volatile to public opinion (ie - trading Lou after the heritage game controversy and firing MG after a game where fans chant for his head). Just seems really flakey to me. I guess MG flexing his muscles and drawing the line in the sand was unacceptable to ownership. Unsubordination will not be tolerated. I also heard maybe MG purposely spoke out when he did, maybe he was simply tired of being a puppet and just wanted out if he couldn't do things his way.

Even though I have been hard on MG in the past, overall I think he got a bit of a raw deal this time. He made some bad trades for sure that hampered the club, but I thought he did pretty good in finding some decent players from out of nowhere (ie - tanev, lack, stanton, magic mike, etc) and he seems to be stock piling our prospect pool with some decent guys (ie - boho, shinkaruk, gaunce, fox, jensen, corrado, etc). I'm not sure if any of those guys will become top NHL superstars (ie - Sedins, Naslund, Bert lvl), but they seem to have the potential to become pretty good NHLers.

One thing about MG, I always thought he had horseshoes up his ass. He seemed to have some great luck that followed him around, like inheriting a bunch of guys who were about to enter their primes (ie - Sedins, Kes, Juice), having a franchise goalie off the bat (Lou), a great young goalie (Schneids), a bunch of of depth players (ie - Ohund, Salo, Willie, Hansen, MayRay, Edler, etc). He had the good fortune to win the Sundin sweepstakes and he was at the right place at the right time to pickup Ehrhoff cuz San Jose needed to cut some salary. I thought it was a good thing that good fortune seemed to follow MG around cuz in turn it would be good for our hockey club. Well, it almost worked and we were one game away from the ultimate prize. Unfortunately, more often than not after that run, MG's luck seemed to run out and things were starting not to go his way.

All this said, I was more sad when Quinn, Burkie, and Nonis got fired. I feel bad for gillis and think he got a bit of a raw deal, but I was definitely more attached to the former 3 GMs. I always felt the previous 3 guys just luved the franchise and the city and they have a canuck's logo tattooed to their hearts and butts, but I can't say I feel that from MG. I always thought MG only did this to get a prestigious title and have his name on a legacy (a Stanley Cup winner). I guess what comes around goes around. He weaseled his way into the position in the first place, now he falls from glory as the ownership he once sucked up to has grown tired of him. Right now, I just hope we get a good hockey guy to be the new GM and not a puppet for the Aqua-men.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby ukcanuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:19 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Very well could be Gillman takes over. He has been fully involved anyway. Saves the Aquos money as they don't need to hire anyone else.

Too funny them filing a notice for a retraction. Sounds like they are getting very sensitive to the notion that people might think they are meddling owners, not that I am saying they are, just that people might think that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If it goes to court they do realize MG would be called as a witness right?

And maybe, just maybe, this has been MG all along. Maybe this is how he does business and the Aquos have been sitting back just letting him do his thing.

Given the history here I'd bet they already have a plan in place. We will hear FA say all the right things. He will probably name Gillman interim MG ( one with no power though)' he will say it is critical to get the right person or persons for the job(s), he will talk about the exhaustive search they will do and that no thought has yet been put into who will get the position(s). He will deny being a meddling owner. He will talk about wanting to get the position(s) filled sooner rather than later so the new team can get ready for the draft and free agency July 1st.

Then we will here about a short list, may have to wait for teams to be eliminated. Then he will surprise us.

Or he will announce someone tomorrow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: although I doubt that. He would not want to give anyone the impression this was per planned.

I think missing the playoffs made the firing a strong get but I think MG trying to grow a pair was the final straw. You try to strong arm the Aquos.



Filing a retraction? Haven't heard about that?
But now that the king is dead, one thing I didn't like about gillis is the way he handled Malhotra and nearly killing the guys career.
To me I think it should have Malhotra to make that choice. They should have waivered him or traded him or something. Wasn't right.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Arachnid » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:03 am

ukcanuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Very well could be Gillman takes over. He has been fully involved anyway. Saves the Aquos money as they don't need to hire anyone else.

Too funny them filing a notice for a retraction. Sounds like they are getting very sensitive to the notion that people might think they are meddling owners, not that I am saying they are, just that people might think that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If it goes to court they do realize MG would be called as a witness right?

And maybe, just maybe, this has been MG all along. Maybe this is how he does business and the Aquos have been sitting back just letting him do his thing.

Given the history here I'd bet they already have a plan in place. We will hear FA say all the right things. He will probably name Gillman interim MG ( one with no power though)' he will say it is critical to get the right person or persons for the job(s), he will talk about the exhaustive search they will do and that no thought has yet been put into who will get the position(s). He will deny being a meddling owner. He will talk about wanting to get the position(s) filled sooner rather than later so the new team can get ready for the draft and free agency July 1st.

Then we will here about a short list, may have to wait for teams to be eliminated. Then he will surprise us.

Or he will announce someone tomorrow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: although I doubt that. He would not want to give anyone the impression this was per planned.

I think missing the playoffs made the firing a strong get but I think MG trying to grow a pair was the final straw. You try to strong arm the Aquos.



Filing a retraction? Haven't heard about that?
But now that the king is dead, one thing I didn't like about gillis is the way he handled Malhotra and nearly killing the guys career.
To me I think it should have Malhotra to make that choice. They should have waivered him or traded him or something. Wasn't right.


Not to mention Willie.....
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4972
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Topper » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:04 am

Anyone know which plastic surgeon is taking GMMG's luggage to the airport.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4771
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby ukcanuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:03 am

Arachnid wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Very well could be Gillman takes over. He has been fully involved anyway. Saves the Aquos money as they don't need to hire anyone else.

Too funny them filing a notice for a retraction. Sounds like they are getting very sensitive to the notion that people might think they are meddling owners, not that I am saying they are, just that people might think that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If it goes to court they do realize MG would be called as a witness right?

And maybe, just maybe, this has been MG all along. Maybe this is how he does business and the Aquos have been sitting back just letting him do his thing.

Given the history here I'd bet they already have a plan in place. We will hear FA say all the right things. He will probably name Gillman interim MG ( one with no power though)' he will say it is critical to get the right person or persons for the job(s), he will talk about the exhaustive search they will do and that no thought has yet been put into who will get the position(s). He will deny being a meddling owner. He will talk about wanting to get the position(s) filled sooner rather than later so the new team can get ready for the draft and free agency July 1st.

Then we will here about a short list, may have to wait for teams to be eliminated. Then he will surprise us.

Or he will announce someone tomorrow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: although I doubt that. He would not want to give anyone the impression this was per planned.

I think missing the playoffs made the firing a strong get but I think MG trying to grow a pair was the final straw. You try to strong arm the Aquos.



Filing a retraction? Haven't heard about that?
But now that the king is dead, one thing I didn't like about gillis is the way he handled Malhotra and nearly killing the guys career.
To me I think it should have Malhotra to make that choice. They should have waivered him or traded him or something. Wasn't right.


Not to mention Willie.....


Yeah that too,
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:26 am

I think in the end we were all resigned to the idea of MG being let go. No love lost for the man. I supported him while he was here but I can honestly say I shed no tears at his departure. He was a little too smug for me and I had concerns about his ability to play nice with the other GMs in the league. He seemed to find it hard to find dance partners. I think he did a decent enough job here but these last two years have been challenging and he seemed incapable of righting the ship. But again, it was his smugness that got to me. I was surprised at how quickly he was let go and in typical Aquos fashion a new partial replacement has been found. I thank Mike for the incredible run of success but I am glad we have turned the page. No sadness or upset here.

He inherited a good team, true, but he made the moves and additions that got us two PTs and to game 7. We had an incredible run and I am one fan who will always acknowledge the contributions of a past GM, while being realistic enough to be able to provide an honest critique of their overall job performance. Nothing is black and white, cut and dry. He made his mistakes, he has personality issues and in the end in I had to question his honesty factor. I never liked how under his watch the team used disinformation and rumour spreading as part if their approach. I even now wonder if the whole Kesler situation was orchestrated to text the waters. It was starting to play out exactly how the Luongo situation played out. Start a rumour that he wants out. Field offers on deadline day to test the waters, try to move him in the summer only to pull back but there were no hockey trades that made the team better, then go into the new season with the controversy.

So thanks Mike. But your time was done. I am relieved that your were relieved :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3876
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby ukcanuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:29 am

Hockey Widow wrote:I think in the end we were all resigned to the idea of MG being let go. No love lost for the man. I supported him while he was here but I can honestly say I shed no tears at his departure. He was a little too smug for me and I had concerns about his ability to play nice with the other GMs in the league. He seemed to find it hard to find dance partners. I think he did a decent enough job here but these last two years have been challenging and he seemed incapable of righting the ship. But again, it was his smugness that got to me. I was surprised at how quickly he was let go and in typical Aquos fashion a new partial replacement has been found. I thank Mike for the incredible run of success but I am glad we have turned the page. No sadness or upset here.

He inherited a good team, true, but he made the moves and additions that got us two PTs and to game 7. We had an incredible run and I am one fan who will always acknowledge the contributions of a past GM, while being realistic enough to be able to provide an honest critique of their overall job performance. Nothing is black and white, cut and dry. He made his mistakes, he has personality issues and in the end in I had to question his honesty factor. I never liked how under his watch the team used disinformation and rumour spreading as part if their approach. I even now wonder if the whole Kesler situation was orchestrated to text the waters. It was starting to play out exactly how the Luongo situation played out. Start a rumour that he wants out. Field offers on deadline day to test the waters, try to move him in the summer only to pull back but there were no hockey trades that made the team better, then go into the new season with the controversy.

So thanks Mike. But your time was done. I am relieved that your were relieved :mrgreen:


nice post H dub :)
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby the Dogsalmon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:25 pm

he was a players agent not a G.M...
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Topper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:10 am

I wonder if GMMG has reached out to Kassian, Tanev and Santorelli that he may return to his role as player agent.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4771
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Postby Betamax » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Mondi wrote:How upset is Tony G about all this?! Wow, he's finally lost his inside source, he pissed, and it's obvious.


IMO, the media member that's probably most upset about the "Axe" falling on GMMG is Bruce Dowbiggin. He has a book scheduled to be released this October 07, 2014 on the Vancouver Canucks under former GMMG.

via: http://www.randomhouse.com/book/222289/ ... -dowbiggin


The Vancouver Canucks Pursuit of Hockey Excellence
Written by Bruce Dowbiggin

Synopsis

With unprecedented access to the Vancouver Canuck's General Manager, Mike Gillis, best-selling sports writer Bruce Dowbiggin provides a thorough investigation into one of hockey's most unique organizations.

Entering the league as part of the NHL's 1970 expansion, the Canucks have steadily built their organization into one of the best teams to play for in professional hockey. The ownership and the talented general manager, Mike Gillis, set out to develop an exciting, player-first franchise, in the process allowing Gillis to acquire top-tier talent at less than market value--all because the athletes were so eager to play for Vancouver. Further improvements, such as a state-of-the-art dressing room, personal nutritionists, skills experts, sleep specialists and a world-class medical team, have meant that the Canucks have the best team in the league, both on- and off-ice. And the club's new mandate has resulted in incredible success on the ice. Leading up to the 2013 playoffs, the Canucks played with focus and consistency, and they looked like they would again be a contender.... Shockingly, they were ousted after a first round ousting in four straight games.

Once the most disciplined team in the NHL, the Canucks 2014 season has seen them become the most penalized team in the league--playing a much more physical game as they have struggled to win. Best Practices not only shares with fans how the Canucks climbed their way to the top of the NHL, but also how they have addressed their drastic change in situation.

Best Practices shares an exciting narrative that includes detailed personal interviews with Mike Gillis and offers all fans of the game a behind-the-curtain look at the business of sport, the strategy of sport and the constant changes that professional sports clubs face.

The hockey world has followed the same path for decades -- but when those strategies continue to generate the same results, it is time to think differently. The rules haven't changed and the governance is the same, but how Canucks General Manager, Mike Gillis, has worked differently within the system is the truly unique story of the Vancouver Canucks.


Needless to say, Dowbiggin was not impressed with what happened to GMMG, especially with the timing of book's future release.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Meds and 4 guests