Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm concerned because ownership seems to like to have their hand on hockey operations, I'm afraid we won't attract a true hockey guy for the next GM and end up with a puppet for the Aqua-men once again. If that happens, I think it will be dark times for our hockey club. Ideally, I don't mind seeing Linden become our president or assistant GM, but for the GM position, I think I would like someone like Ron Hextall. Hextall played a big part in building the kings and he seems to believe in the broadstreet bullies style, building a big strong team that is tough to play against and built to play the grueling 7 game series of the playoffs. He might jive well with Torts to get a bunch of guys that luvs to block shots and play some rough tough hockey.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Trevl Linden trips me out, his Dolce skinny suits and suave pointy shoes and big bobble head and well trimmed beard. The dude was always overrated here cause of his community work which I found to be phoney, it was all self serving with the intention of building his business network post hockey. His Italian wife who for awhile was banging Peter Schaefer after Trevl was traded but the weird part is they get back together. And whats with the no kids? His boys can't swim? And what's with the Armstrong cycling and fitness centres? And why does he hate Pavel Bure? Weird.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Linden, ex union leader, who does he think he is, Glen Clark?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:Linden, ex union leader, who does he think he is, Glen Clark?
^^this^^
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:Trevl Linden trips me out, his Dolce skinny suits and suave pointy shoes and big bobble head and well trimmed beard. The dude was always overrated here cause of his community work which I found to be phoney, it was all self serving with the intention of building his business network post hockey. His Italian wife who for awhile was banging Peter Schaefer after Trevl was traded but the weird part is they get back together. And whats with the no kids? His boys can't swim? And what's with the Armstrong cycling and fitness centres? And why does he hate Pavel Bure? Weird.
Oh that would be classic...you lead the torch burning mob to chase MG out of town just to have him replaced with someone you despise even more...careful there Duder... :lol:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:Trevl Linden trips me out, his Dolce skinny suits and suave pointy shoes and big bobble head and well trimmed beard. The dude was always overrated here cause of his community work which I found to be phoney, it was all self serving with the intention of building his business network post hockey. His Italian wife who for awhile was banging Peter Schaefer after Trevl was traded but the weird part is they get back together. And whats with the no kids? His boys can't swim? And what's with the Armstrong cycling and fitness centres? And why does he hate Pavel Bure? Weird.
You sound like a jaded x-girlfriend. Not that I don't understand or anything, he is quite handsome.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

According to Farhan Lalji, Linden as President is a done deal.

It's not as fitting as if he'd been named the GM, but the Canucks franchise falling all over themselves to name a former player to senior management (just like all the other franchises are doing) and settling on a guy with virtually no relevant experience is just so exquisitely perfect..

I would have really preferred to see an individual with some experience and weight in the hockey world (like say Nicholson) named President, an honest to goodness management prospect (I don't keep tabs on these guys but you know the names, Hextall, Benning, Botteril etc) brought in as the GM and at the very least Gilman kept around for continuity - and if Trevor wants to have a shot at taking over a few years down the line you give him something less critical.. guys like Yzerman and Sakic and Neely all started out with "Vice President," "Executive Advisor" type roles. I'd rather he be there with strong leadership elsewhere than thrust the entire hockey operations department under a guy who'd rather be cycling in Spain or whatever.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

It's not as fitting as if he'd been named the GM, but the Canucks franchise falling all over themselves to name a former player to senior management (just like all the other franchises are doing) and settling on a guy with virtually no relevant experience is just so exquisitely perfect..
I don't see the first hiring as important as the ones that follow...

I think the first thing the organization needs to do it get rid of the black storm clouds that have hovered above it since the first Gillis press conference followed by the Sudin offer followed by the Luongo captaincy....

It reached its darkest during the Cup finals run when the team and its management group were so despised that even the CBC didn't bother to try and hid its dislike...

On the ice, the team is surely looking at some lean years ahead and that's where the other hirings and changes will be so crucial, off the ice a Gretzky or Linden type is the type of person the organization needs to restore its image around the league and in the community which in turn keeps the revenues flowing...

Take care...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Winning games is what keeps the revenues flowing. The team came within a hair's width of winning it all which is all I care about, "dark clouds" or no.

Basically the defense you've employed of a Linden (or Gretzky or whoever) hiring is "intangibles" which doesn't add up to much of course.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Linden as President seems fine, better than as GM.

Now, I'd love to see:

1) Nicholson as say an Exec VP under Linden, as advisor and help with running hockey ops.
2) Hiring of one of the young guys who is ready to be a GM it looks like, (Benning, Fenton etc)...definitely NOT Feaster
3) Fire Torts...get a coach like a John Stevens
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm ok with Trevor being the face of the franchise. As others have said the critical role will be the GM.

Keeping Gillman is also a good Idea. I don't know if this means he will be the new GM or not. He was very active in his role under MG and he is the resident cap guy. So at the least he stays in that critical financial role as well as he has some GM experience to continue in the assistant role to a new GM. At the most he stays in the critical money role while getting a chance to take on more responsibility. Not sure hoe I feel about the latter role. I would prefer the former and the team add a new GM.

It had been rumoured that MG might step down as GM in the off season and that Gillman would become GM. perhaps that is still the plan but replacing the president with Linden.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Linden? Called it!

I don't really like the move, at face value anyway. Seems rushed and like ownership is just following the trend of hiring prominent ex players.

Why not VP of hockey Ops? My guess is this is more about the brand. It's pretty clear ownership is heavily involved in the day to day ops and they may not want or need somebody to run the show, because they are already running it.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Bob & Betty like it oib...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I know of quite a few former hockey players who have adopted... I don't know, maybe 'roids were common a couple of decades back? I hear they can shrivel up your nuts pretty bad.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

You forgot to say "no homo". (not that there's anything wrong with that)