Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Hockey Widow »

This is frustrating. NONE of my sources are returning calls or answering texts. What gives. Maybe they are rushing to renew their season tickets :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:This is frustrating. NONE of my sources are returning calls or answering texts. What gives. Maybe they are rushing to renew their season tickets :mrgreen:
Nah, we've just been threatened into silence. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

SKYO wrote:It's looking like the highly coveted Bob Nicholson will be the Vancouver Canucks President...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nicho ... uld-be-gm/
According to a source close to the situation, former Hockey Canada president and CEO Bob Nicholson is at his home in Penticton, B.C., this evening and is negotiating with the Vancouver Canucks to become the next president of the team. It’s expected he’ll accept the job and there is mounting speculation that he’ll name former Canuck legend Trevor Linden to replace Mike Gillis as the team’s GM.

Nicholson did not respond to a voice and text message left for him by thn.com Tuesday night, but a source said he has been negotiating with Francesco Aquilini, the chairman of the Canucks, about becoming team president.

As soon as Nicholson announced his resignation from Hockey Canada last week, NHL teams were reportedly immediately in hot pursuit of him. He had reportedly already turned down the presidency of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment before the job was given to Tim Liewicke in 2013, and there is speculation that the Washington Capitals quickly made him an offer, which he also turned down.

It’s believed Nicholson most covets the Canucks job because he is a native of British Columbia and wants to spend more time with his family. It would be a perfect fit for the 60-year-old Nicholson, who is said to be more interested in new challenges than a big salary. It’s believed the Capitals offered Nicholson substantially more than the Canucks would pay him, but his heart is apparently with the Canucks.
Guess Bob will pick the next GM, many to choose from imo..
Don't know about Linden as GM, but Nicholson as President is a great move if it happens. Back when Nonis was fired Nicholson's name popped up, would have been great then too. Dude has tons of experience, seems like he has respect across the hockey world with the work he has done at Hockey Canada, and I'd imagine the best Canadian hockey players have respect for him.... I want Torts gone, gone as far as gone can be, and I hope Nicholson is negotiating for real autonomy. Linden is great, but I don't see his cred as a GM yet. Some of the names mentioned above, Fenton. Botterill, Benning, seem to have worked their way toward the positions. We need a guy who can re-do the whole scouting dept/approach...that shit has been horrendous for too long.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Let's go whole hog. Spend the Aquos money

President and head honch: Bob Nicholson

VP of operations and player development: Trevor Linden. Gets the training to take over in 5 years when Bob becomes a consultant and special assistant then.

GM: Marcus Naslund

Assistant GM and head cap dude: Lawrence Gillman

Season ends, coaches all fired and then another presser.

Head Coach: number 99 on your program Wayne Getzky.

Let's load up in the front office. Get it done FA.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Boston Canucker wrote:
SKYO wrote:It's looking like the highly coveted Bob Nicholson will be the Vancouver Canucks President...
Guess Bob will pick the next GM, many to choose from imo..
Don't know about Linden as GM, but Nicholson as President is a great move if it happens. Back when Nonis was fired Nicholson's name popped up, would have been great then too. Dude has tons of experience, seems like he has respect across the hockey world with the work he has done at Hockey Canada, and I'd imagine the best Canadian hockey players have respect for him.... I want Torts gone, gone as far as gone can be, and I hope Nicholson is negotiating for real autonomy. Linden is great, but I don't see his cred as a GM yet. Some of the names mentioned above, Fenton. Botterill, Benning, seem to have worked their way toward the positions. We need a guy who can re-do the whole scouting dept/approach...that shit has been horrendous for too long.
Just reading up on David McNab of the Anaheim Ducks, dude is a beast in scouting, he could be ready for a top dog role of GM..

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2010/5/17 ... avid-mcnab
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:Let's go whole hog. Spend the Aquos money

VP of operations and player development: Trevor Linden. Gets the training to take over in 5 years when Bob becomes a consultant and special assistant then.

Yeah, that's my guess. Nicholson looks like a done deal as President, and Linden and Naslund seem like fits in some capacity. I'm not sure I want Linden jumping in as GM.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Let's go whole hog. Spend the Aquos money

Yeah, that's my guess. Nicholson looks like a done deal as President, and Linden and Naslund seem like fits in some capacity. I'm not sure I want Linden jumping in as GM.
Here we go! #guessin'

President: Nicholson
General Manager: Paul Fenton or David McNab
Vice President and Executive Advisor: Trevor Linden
Executive Advisor and Alternate Governor: Markus Naslund
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

FWIW, Gary Valk says Linden was at Rogers Arena this morning.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:FWIW, Gary Valk says Linden was at Rogers Arena this morning.

So maybe they go the Linden/Naslund route.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
herb wrote:FWIW, Gary Valk says Linden was at Rogers Arena this morning.

So maybe they go the Linden/Naslund route.
"@FarhanLaljiTSN: I'm told Trevor Linden will officially be named the #canucks President tomorrow."

Linden for Prez

The main thing imo is we best get a uber GM.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hope this is true. He is a much better face for the organization. But depending upon who is appointed GM......

The one thing with with Trevor is he has the respect of that locker room. Players will be very candidate with him about Torts. If there is a problem it will get dealt with. If Torts is not a problem that will get sorted out too.

Valk, Taylor, Shannon all seem pretty positive it will be Linden.

I really would be OK with this. But skeptical if he is named GM. Confident enough if he has to head the draft too.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

If Linden is anointed, I hope he takes his jersey down from the rafters
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Gilman -president
Linden-assistant GM
Nicholson-GM
Naslund-Euro scout
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Topper wrote:If Linden is anointed, I hope he takes his jersey down from the rafters
Not only will he not take his jersey down, but he'll add himself to the ring of honor in the builder's category and advertise his fitness clubs in Roger's for free.

He might take Bure's jersey down from the rafters though.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:If Linden is anointed, I hope he takes his jersey down from the rafters
LOL
---
Possibles:

David McNab
Joe Will
Norm Maciver
Paul Fenton
Jason Botterill
Ron Hextall
Jim Benning
Brendan Shanahan

Don't know about Shanahan as GM but he seems like the type to easily make some sweeping major trades no problem, Holmgren/Clarkie/Shero type, whether those major trades would be good or not is another question.