And So The Axe Falls

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by SKYO »

Just need a big bold GM a free spirit, with Gilman being the calm dude - behind the scenes guy.

Like a Steve Jobs / Steve Wozniak combo.

Getting a GM whose ready and trained with any kind of GM experience is a necessity.

Gillis a player agent was a bold hiring at the time, but as time went on that lack of any kind of GM/assistant GM experience was a weakness that reared its ugly head.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Cue the rebuild....

If they were going to axe Gillis, they should have done it by now. The better to give his replacement time to assess the staff and roster before preparing for the draft. If the spaghetti boys follow the familiar MO, they already have the replacement waiting in the wings and are just waiting for a grace period to save face before announcing him.

Gillis did some good work, but clearly was on the wrong side of the league and his GM colleagues, and where the game was going. Having the spaghetti boy slum lords meddling in his business couldn't help, but if this was as good as it was going to get for him better that he go.

Hopefully the replacement is not going to be just a meat puppet. Much as I would like Gillman to get a GM gig somewhere, I wouldn't have him replace Gillis because he would end up as just such a puppet for the spaghetti boys.

Feaster would be exactly the wrong hire, but with one paisan on the bench possibly whispering in the ears of the paisans who hired him about a guy he loved to work for in Tampa, it's enough to keep me awake at night. Nicholson wouldn't be a bad hire but hopefully he has enough solidity, strength of personality and character to withstand the inevitable meddling of the spaghetti boys. Otherwise you're looking at folks who are already working for other organizations - which means we won't see them until after the draft if the other organizations are charitable.

Regardless, Torts must go. Now that Gilly's gone, time for him Sully and Gully to hit the road before they do irreparable damage to the dressing room.

At least you likely won't see too many players refusing to waive their NTC/NMCs. ;)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Very well could be Gillman takes over. He has been fully involved anyway. Saves the Aquos money as they don't need to hire anyone else.

Too funny them filing a notice for a retraction. Sounds like they are getting very sensitive to the notion that people might think they are meddling owners, not that I am saying they are, just that people might think that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If it goes to court they do realize MG would be called as a witness right?

And maybe, just maybe, this has been MG all along. Maybe this is how he does business and the Aquos have been sitting back just letting him do his thing.

Given the history here I'd bet they already have a plan in place. We will hear FA say all the right things. He will probably name Gillman interim MG ( one with no power though)' he will say it is critical to get the right person or persons for the job(s), he will talk about the exhaustive search they will do and that no thought has yet been put into who will get the position(s). He will deny being a meddling owner. He will talk about wanting to get the position(s) filled sooner rather than later so the new team can get ready for the draft and free agency July 1st.

Then we will here about a short list, may have to wait for teams to be eliminated. Then he will surprise us.

Or he will announce someone tomorrow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: although I doubt that. He would not want to give anyone the impression this was per planned.

I think missing the playoffs made the firing a strong get but I think MG trying to grow a pair was the final straw. You try to strong arm the Aquos.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well a new GM could take the BB approach, I didn't give the NTC so I can ask the player to waive it.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: I think missing the playoffs made the firing a strong get but I think MG trying to grow a pair was the final straw. You try to strong arm the Aquos.
I wonder if Gillis just got fed up and forced their hand. If he quits, he doesn't get paid right? They fire him, and he still gets his $$$. It definitely seemed like he was at his wits end.

On (the very long term) plus side, hiring Feaster or another puppet should pretty much allow the Canucks to draft REAL high over the next couple years.

Maybe Francisco will shock the world and name Francisco as the new GM.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Maybe Francisco will shock the world and name Francisco as the new GM.
At least it would put an end to the charade.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

How odd is it to fire a GM with 2 games left in a season? Sure it's all over but the crying - but why not wait it out?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: I think missing the playoffs made the firing a strong get but I think MG trying to grow a pair was the final straw. You try to strong arm the Aquos.
I wonder if Gillis just got fed up and forced their hand. If he quits, he doesn't get paid right? They fire him, and he still gets his $$$. It definitely seemed like he was at his wits end.

On (the very long term) plus side, hiring Feaster or another puppet should pretty much allow the Canucks to draft REAL high over the next couple years.

Maybe Francisco will shock the world and name Francisco as the new GM.
Drafting is also one of Feaster's weaknesses...

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/06/2 ... 012-draft/
Last edited by Jovocop on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cornuck wrote:How odd is it to fire a GM with 2 games left in a season? Sure it's all over but the crying - but why not wait it out?
My guess is he wants to "share in the fans frustrations" and let them know that they are being heard.

In other words, act emotionally and without thought.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Cornuck wrote:How odd is it to fire a GM with 2 games left in a season? Sure it's all over but the crying - but why not wait it out?
My guess is he wants to "share in the fans frustrations" and let them know that they are being heard.

In other words, act emotionally and without thought.
Aquabros probably have someone in mind, plus it takes time for a GM to start a new regime and be better prepared by the NHL draft.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And the deadline for season ticket holders is tomorrow right? Gives the impression that he is doing something to right the ship.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So I have been thinking it over, and I am pretty sure it was the goatee that got Gillis fired.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

TEAM1040 now reporting that Nicholson is in negotiations from his home with the Canucks and that he will accept the position of team President and then name Trevor Linden as the new GM.

I think I'd prefer the reverse of that.....
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:TEAM1040 now reporting that Nicholson is in negotiations from his home with the Canucks and that he will accept the position of team President and then name Trevor Linden as the new GM.

I think I could live with all of that. But no way was this put together in one day.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mëds wrote:TEAM1040 now reporting that Nicholson is in negotiations from his home with the Canucks and that he will accept the position of team President and then name Trevor Linden as the new GM.

I think I could live with all of that. But no way was this put together in one day.
Agreed HW. This must have been in the works for some time.

I think I also agree with Mëds here. Trevor and Bob Nicholson both seem like they would make good team Presidents, but I'd prefer to have a GM with some actual experience and a track record this time around.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!