GDT: Canucks vs Kings - 19:00PST HNiC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Kings - 19:00PST HNiC

Post by Hockey Widow »

Doesn't Booth know he is not in America? Wonder if the Dude is watching?
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

David Booth on HNIC After Hours.....never again. :hmmm:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Wonder if the Dude is watching?
If the Dude was watching that, I believe that's definitive proof of God's existence.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

The fire them all crowd took a huge hit tonight as the team played similar to the way they did in December. An effective two man fore check retained puck possession.

I noted the other day commenting on the Torts/Gillis interviews that dump and chase need not be inconsistent with puck procession and that was shown vs the Kings.

One big change, something I have been noting all season, the Sedin's and the PP carried the puck into the offensive zone.

What I find most appalling about the media fuelled blood lust for Torts and/or Gillis is the cherry picking of quotes. Everyone of them takes the Gillis lines about a change in style as the one that occurred with the hiring of Tortorella, not the changes in style that occurred at various points throughout the season. That would take some homework to digest, hence they ignore it. Even though Tororella admitted that it was changes throughout the season, answering to injuries and call ups ...... Again, the talking heads ignored it.

I listened to both the Gillis and Tortorella interviews and found them very compatible. Henrik and Daniel have said the same things in the past week and a half in less publicized interviews. All acknowledged that the team got away from the aggressive style they had set out to play at the start of the season. A style they played very well in December after taking much of October and November to learn it. Torts fell on his sword for not returning to that style of play sooner.

The issue of injuries and call ups necessitating a more defensive style speaks to a disconnect between Vancouver and Utica and I have no idea if that exists. Recall that management was adamant that Vancouver and Manitoba played a similar style, they lost some of that control with the Wolves and I wonder if it is not fully there with the Comets?

Anyways, if PJ Stock and Glen Healy say Tortorella and or Gillis have to go, I know who's side I want to be on.

Laughable reaction to Gaborik skating into Edler. Edler stands at his blueline, has position and has Marion is a girl's name skate into him and fall down.

I'm really beginning to like David Booth after his After Hours stint. "Fuck you, this is who I am, fuck you!
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

With Dallas winning last night and now being up on us by 6 points with only 8 available points remaining, The results of this game were fairly trivial as far as the standings and playoffs are concerned, but there were some good things to take from it going forward.

The intensity they played with in the third period was very encouraging, LA just had no answer. Which leads me to question how much of the Kings' ability to control the puck and breakout of their zone under pressure hinges on Doughty's ability to make a quick read and pass or skate the puck out of trouble.

In the latter half of the third period Hank and Dank combined for a scoring chance and one of the colour guys made the comment, "The magic is back!". They definitely did seem to have more jump and confidence last night, and the chemistry was some of the best I've seen from them this season. I hope this is a sign of things to come as we are stuck with them for 4 more years.....I still don't think they return to 80 points, but I hope I'm wrong.

Kassian's setup for the winning goal was a thing of beauty, very heads up.

I was actually shocked that Edler didn't get called for that hit on Gaborik. It was the right non-call, IMO, as Gaborik just skated into Edler and Edler held his ground, in fact it actually looked like Edler was a bit surprised by the hit.

They showed some life for a change, something we haven't seen from them in quite a while, one can hope they finish strong and bolster the trade value of a couple of pieces.

As for the comments regarding Booth.....I've always liked Booth, just hated his contract.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

That was a fun and well played game.

Agreed that the Sedins looked very good last night.

Kassian has been looking great towards the end of this year under Torts.

Where the hell has that power play been the past coupleof years???

It will be great to see Lack, Kassian and Jensen have strong games dow. The stretch here. That's all I really care about and last night was a good start.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: What I find most appalling about the media fuelled blood lust for Torts and/or Gillis is the cherry picking of quotes. Everyone of them takes the Gillis lines about a change in style as the one that occurred with the hiring of Tortorella, not the changes in style that occurred at various points throughout the season. That would take some homework to digest, hence they ignore it. Even though Tororella admitted that it was changes throughout the season, answering to injuries and call ups ...... Again, the talking heads ignored it.

I listened to both the Gillis and Tortorella interviews and found them very compatible. Henrik and Daniel have said the same things in the past week and a half in less publicized interviews. All acknowledged that the team got away from the aggressive style they had set out to play at the start of the season. A style they played very well in December after taking much of October and November to learn it. Torts fell on his sword for not returning to that style of play sooner.

The issue of injuries and call ups necessitating a more defensive style speaks to a disconnect between Vancouver and Utica and I have no idea if that exists. Recall that management was adamant that Vancouver and Manitoba played a similar style, they lost some of that control with the Wolves and I wonder if it is not fully there with the Comets?
All of this, and I think in the end, the lack of scoring depth has made things difficult for AV and now Torts.

Both coaches went into a more defensive style of play after extensive injuries over the past two seasons.

(a style that most coaches have a hard time letting go of after once feeling forced to embrace)

Gillis has failed to provide the horses (depth) for his team to play the style he seems to demand.

And he has failed insofar as the disconnect with Utica, as you say.

I still trust Torts as a coach... given the horses.

And I trust Gillis has learned from his mistakes.

But then I'm a hopelessly trusting soul. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Really enjoyed your take on that one Topper...
Topper wrote:Anyways, if PJ Stock and Glen Healy say Tortorella and or Gillis have to go, I know who's side I want to be on.
The Torts blood lust was on full display. I'm not sure if I've ever seen them call for a coaches head like that before.

Both Stock and Healy have displayed outright contempt for him in the past as well. It's on a level where I have to believe it's personal. Not saying Torts hasn't made a number of mistakes he should be called on either, just found the CBC panel to be completely over the top in their presentation.

Why wasn't anyone on the panel calling for Carlyle's head? He's just as likely to be canned.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Anything negative about all things Canucks
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….