Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Diehard1 »

SKYO wrote:Would be nice to trade way up to try to land Reinhart, could be the 2nd line Canadian center we've been looking for.

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter ... 4&catid=11
A guy who is in the top 1 or 2 prospects in a draft is a first line prospect, not a second line one. Not that he will surely reach his potential but that's what you're hoping he will be.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote:
SKYO wrote:Would be nice to trade way up to try to land Reinhart, could be the 2nd line Canadian center we've been looking for.
http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter ... 4&catid=11
A guy who is in the top 1 or 2 prospects in a draft is a first line prospect, not a second line one. Not that he will surely reach his potential but that's what you're hoping he will be.
Yes but learning the ropes on the 2nd line would be good for now.
--

Anyways wonder if Thomas Gradin found any gems this year in Europe, or if Per has any insight on these potential draftees..

William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen, Adrian Kempe, David Pastrnak, Anton Karlsson, Marcus Pettersson, Kevin Fiala, Jakub Vrana, Adam O. Mattsson, Julius Bergman, Daniel M. Bagenda, Oskar Lindblom.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Top five should be set in stone with Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Dal Colle.

5-10 open: Nylander, Ritchie, Fleury, Virtanen, Ehlers, Tuch, Perlini, Kapanen, McCann.

Darkhorses: Barbashev, Tuch, Honka, Pasternak one team could come out and draft these guys earlier than expected.

I see the Canucks landing around 9th - 10th overall, so it all depends on what the scouts/GMs/teams do in front of us.

I see: Virtanen, Fleury, Kapanen, McCann available, of those I'd pick Fleury.

1. Sabres - Ekblad
2. Oilers - Reinhart
3. Panthers - Bennett
4. Sabres - Dal Colle
5. Flamers - Ritchie (Burkie pick)
6. Canes - Draisaitl
7. Ducks - Perlini
8. Jets - Nylander
9. Predators - Ehlers
10. Canucks - Fleury
11. Toronto - McCann
12. Washington - Virtanen
13. Detroit - Kapanen

Virtanen will drop imo only due to being a one trick pony.

Haydn Fleury...
A rangy two-way defenseman, Haydn Fleury has made his way to the number six North American skater in Central Scouting's rankings. He is solid defender and uses his speed, composure, vision and physicality to control the defensive zone. He has not quite developed his offensive play to the same level, but that is not to say he lacks promise. He has an above-average shot and moves the puck fairly well but he his vision is somewhat limited in the offensive zone. He has, however, improved in these areas this season and has produced better numbers because of it.

As far as comparisons go, I would liken him to a Brent Seabrook or Jay Bouwmeester. Defensively he plays a similar game to Seabrook because of his size, speed, and physicality, while offensively he could potentially turn into a Bouwmeester-like player, due a good shot, the ability to jump in on the rush, and above average passing.
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2014/2/5/ ... file-video
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:Top five should be set in stone with Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Dal Colle.

5-10 open: Nylander, Ritchie, Fleury, Virtanen, Ehlers, Tuch, Perlini, Kapanen, McCann.

Darkhorses: Barbashev, Tuch, Honka, Pasternak one team could come out and draft these guys earlier than expected.

I see the Canucks landing around 9th - 10th overall, so it all depends on what the scouts/GMs/teams do in front of us.

I see: Virtanen, Fleury, Kapanen, McCann available, of those I'd pick Fleury.

1. Sabres - Ekblad
2. Oilers - Reinhart
3. Panthers - Bennett
4. Sabres - Dal Colle
5. Flamers - Ritchie (Burkie pick)
6. Canes - Draisaitl
7. Ducks - Perlini
8. Jets - Nylander
9. Predators - Ehlers
10. Canucks - Fleury
11. Toronto - McCann
12. Washington - Virtanen
13. Detroit - Kapanen

Virtanen will drop imo only due to being a one trick pony.

Haydn Fleury...
A rangy two-way defenseman, Haydn Fleury has made his way to the number six North American skater in Central Scouting's rankings. He is solid defender and uses his speed, composure, vision and physicality to control the defensive zone. He has not quite developed his offensive play to the same level, but that is not to say he lacks promise. He has an above-average shot and moves the puck fairly well but he his vision is somewhat limited in the offensive zone. He has, however, improved in these areas this season and has produced better numbers because of it.

As far as comparisons go, I would liken him to a Brent Seabrook or Jay Bouwmeester. Defensively he plays a similar game to Seabrook because of his size, speed, and physicality, while offensively he could potentially turn into a Bouwmeester-like player, due a good shot, the ability to jump in on the rush, and above average passing.
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2014/2/5/ ... file-video
My head screams Big Play D-man (might been the bourbon last night) but my heart says big punishing finishing Power Forward...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

You have to feel bad for some of those picks, who wants to be drafted by Edmonton, Buffalo or even Florida?

Calgary may be OK.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

With this whole 'bigger faster' attitude Gillis is pushing for. Don't see us taking Ehlers.

Even though we currently have offence issues right now, we have loads of forward prospects coming up. With really only Corrado and Hutton having questionable NHL potential, it seems to me, if available, that Fleury may very well be the wise choice here. Not the sexy pick we are looking for here but probably the wisest.

I'd still take a forward and look for D-Men on the open market.

If Ekblad is taken by Buffalo, I would say there is a ton of potential for the Oilers to trade their pick as do they really need another skilled forward who will go back to junior? I could see them trading down to pick Fleury.

If Islanders decide to keep their pick I could also see that pick being available as they like the Oilers need to start winning NOW! Would Kesler waive to go to the Islanders? Or Edler? Ekblad is the only player in this class who could make the NHL next year, otherwise all these kids will be back in junior. There just isn't any 'special' players in this class who will graduate to the NHL next season other than Ekblad

Kesler and Edler to the Islanders for Griffin Reinhart, Strome and their 1st pick?

We then take Draisaitl or Dal Colle with Isle pick and then draft Fleury with our pick

Reinhart
Fleury

Draisaitl
Strome

Done!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Arachnid wrote: My head screams Big Play D-man (might been the bourbon last night) but my heart says big punishing finishing Power Forward...
In the perfect world we can make a trade to get a another top 10 pick and get Virtanen (whose like a bigger Jeff Skinner imo all about goal scoring) and Fleury, that could be one of our best drafts in recent history.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If the Pens stink in the playoffs they may feel more urgent to bring in a player like Kesler and therefore may finally put Pouliot on the table, regrettingly. The Canucks then draft Fleury who has been compared to Seabrook and viola - there is our future Keith/Seabrook pairing in Fleury and Pouliot. I know both shoot left but it might work
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Virtanen would be a good pick at around the 10 spot. I don't know why we'd pick a d-man at 10ish, unless he is an absolutele stud, which Fleury is not as far as I can tell.

He's big - 6'1" and 210 pounds. At 17 years old that is awesome size. He's a local kid too, which this organization sure could use more of.

45 goals in the Dub as a 17 year old is better than Kassian, Horvat, Gaunce, Fox and Jensen ever did at that age and similar production to Shinkaruk as a 17 year old.

Add to the high end forward depth and pick up a couple of d-men later on I say.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The top 10 seemingly will go something like this

The 1 to 5 group will be

Reinhart
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Dal Colle

6-7 group should be

Ritchie
Nylander

8 - 10 group

Fleury
Ehlers
McCann

The Canucks look like they will fall in that 8 - 10 group. Don't want another Schroeder shrimp in Ehlers. It looks like it will come down to Fleury or McCann, I'd be happy with either

If we fall out of the top 10, I don't like what's available there i.e., Perlini, Virtanen, Kapanen, Kempe, Ho Sang, Barbeshev, D'Angelo. If we did fall out of top 10 I'd shoot for Kapanen
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

herb wrote:Virtanen would be a good pick at around the 10 spot. I don't know why we'd pick a d-man at 10ish, unless he is an absolutele stud, which Fleury is not as far as I can tell.

He's big - 6'1" and 210 pounds. At 17 years old that is awesome size. He's a local kid too, which this organization sure could use more of.

45 goals in the Dub as a 17 year old is better than Kassian, Horvat, Gaunce, Fox and Jensen ever did at that age and similar production to Shinkaruk as a 17 year old.

Add to the high end forward depth and pick up a couple of d-men later on I say.
Don't like the scouting reports on Virtanen. He's basically David Booth, from what I've read
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: The Canucks look like they will fall in that 8 - 10 group. Don't want another Schroeder shrimp in Ehlers. It looks like it will come down to Fleury or McCann, I'd be happy with either

If we fall out of the top 10, I don't like what's available there i.e., Perlini, Virtanen, Kapanen, Kempe, Ho Sang, Barbeshev, D'Angelo. If we did fall out of top 10 I'd shoot for Kapanen
True, however I think the players who can make an immediate impact offensively would be Reinhart, Ehlers, Honka and maybe Virtanen.

DeAngelo could be like Letang but he's an asshole lol, maybe he's exactly what we need. :P

Those bigger players and two-way types take a lot longer to develop, McCann would be a very safe pick, but didn't we pick a safe two way center in Gaunce? Fleury would be nice.

I wasn't that high on Virtanen due to him having only one skill set, but that upside of being a big scoring winger with elite hands is much more intriguing than another safe center type.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

We will be picking in the 6-7 group...not the 10+

Because the Jets will win tonight!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Most reports I have seen indicate their is a top 2 then a next 6. I dont follow JR enough to know but Im looking for forwards if Im the Canucks.

With Winnipeg and Ottawa both winning tonight the Canucks could drop to the #6 spot which is best case in my opinion.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:The top 10 seemingly will go something like this

The 1 to 5 group will be

Reinhart
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Dal Colle

6-7 group should be

Ritchie
Nylander

8 - 10 group

Fleury
Ehlers
McCann

The Canucks look like they will fall in that 8 - 10 group. Don't want another Schroeder shrimp in Ehlers. It looks like it will come down to Fleury or McCann, I'd be happy with either

Basically how I see it too. My preference, in order:

1) Reinhart
2) Bennett
3) Dal Colle
4) Draisaitl
5) Ritchie
6) Ehlers
7) Nylander

I'm not including D because Ekblad is really the only one I would take in the top ten and there are a few teams who need D a lot more than the Nucks picking ahead of them. Don't want Fleury, he reminds me of a poor man's Bouwmeester and forward depth is much more of a need now and in the future.

I Ike McCann if all of these players are gone. Really would love Reinhart or Bennett but a lot of teams feel that way I'm sure. Reinhart is the Bret player in the draft IMHO. Bennett is a little ball of hate, will run through a guy to score and that's the type of player the Nucks could really use. Dal Colle I love his puck possession and shot, he's just extremely gifted offensively and can play both wing or center. Draisaitl I've only seen play once so I'm going more on scouting reports, big center who uses his body well but needs to work on his skating. Ritchie is big, mean and had a wicked shot. Ehlers is pure speed and hands.

If the Nucks are in the top 7 or 8 they will get a very good player. It gets a bit fuzzier after that as the level of player drops off.