2013/2014 NHL Season: Who will win the Stanley Cup?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2013/2014 NHL Season: Who will win the Stanley Cup?

Post by Meds »

In the west I could cheer for Winnipeg if they manage to squeak in.....HIGHLY unlikely though. I also have no great hate for Colorado anymore, and they are fun, young, team to watch.

In the east I'm pulling for Montreal, Tampa, and Detroit.....if the Wings can hold on to that first wild card.

Speaking of the Wings.....there is a team that makes me very dismissive of the injury excuse that so many of us Canuck fans (and Gillis & Co.) want to use. Detroit has been hammered with injuries to their top players this year, and they are still finding ways to score.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Mëds wrote:In the east I'm pulling for Montreal, Tampa, and Detroit.....if the Wings can hold on to that first wild card.

Speaking of the Wings.....there is a team that makes me very dismissive of the injury excuse that so many of us Canuck fans (and Gillis & Co.) want to use. Detroit has been hammered with injuries to their top players this year, and they are still finding ways to score.
Pittsburgh even more so.

How can you cheer for Detroit after the amount of times they hammered the Canucks ass into the ground during the 90s (and early 00s)? I can't do it.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote:In the west I could cheer for Winnipeg if they manage to squeak in.....HIGHLY unlikely though. I also have no great hate for Colorado anymore, and they are fun, young, team to watch.

In the east I'm pulling for Montreal, Tampa, and Detroit.....if the Wings can hold on to that first wild card.

THEY ALSO HAVE A GM THAT KNOWS HOW TO DRAFT!!!!

Jakub Kindl, 19th overall, 2005
Darren Helm, 132nd overall, 2005
Brendan Smith, 27th overall, 2007
Gustav Nyquist, 121st overall, 2008
Tomas Tatar, 60th overall, 2009
Riley Sheahan, 21st overall, 2010
Tomas Jurco, 35th overall, 2011

Vancouver
2005 - Bourdon, Raymond, Vincent, Butcher, Friedham, Bliznak
2008 - Hodgson, Sauve, Rai, Froshaug, Clark
2009 - Schroeder, Rodin, Connauton, Price, Andersson, Cannata, Anthony
2010 - McNally, Polasek, Friesen, Lilahti, Hannay
2011 - Jensen, Honzik, Grenier

Bourdon's dead (RIP), Raymond's gone (bubye), Hodgson's a defensive half wit that's turned into Kassian the man-child, Schroeder is going to be lucky if he turns into the second coming of Andrew Ebbett, 2010 (forehead) and Jensen is only just starting to show some flashes of brilliance.

Stop underscoring the injury excuse. It's a legitimate reason considering how little NHL ready depth we had this season.

Edit. Fuck, Detroit's drafting is incredible.
Last edited by mathonwy on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Doesn't look as bad like this...

Detroit
Darren Helm, 2005
Gustav Nyquist, 2008
Tomas Tatar, 2009
Riley Sheahan, 2010
Tomas Jurco, 2011

Vancouver
2005 - Raymond,
2008 - Hodgson,
2009 - Schroeder
2010 - McNally
2011 - Jensen
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

ukcanuck wrote:Doesn't look as bad like this...
How ever you want to cut up the shit pie to make you feel better.

:thumbs:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Yeah but if you look from 2011 onward things are definitely looking up.

:drink:
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

mathonwy wrote:Edit. Fuck, Detroit's drafting is incredible.
Compared to Vancouver's? That is quite debatable.

Since 2005 Detroit has gotten 1870 man games out of their draftees, and Vancouver has gotten 1118. During that time they drafted essentially the same amount of players. However, if you wish to include the 2004 draft (which is probably Vancouver's best in the past decade), Detroit has 2432 man games compared to Vancouver's 2466. Points are almost exactly the same too.

If you want to talk about development of non-dafted prospects, during that time period... you could probably say Vancouver did a better job overall.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

BurningBeard wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Edit. Fuck, Detroit's drafting is incredible.
Compared to Vancouver's? That is quite debatable.

Since 2005 Detroit has gotten 1870 man games out of their draftees, and Vancouver has gotten 1118. During that time they drafted essentially the same amount of players. However, if you wish to include the 2004 draft (which is probably Vancouver's best in the past decade), Detroit has 2432 man games compared to Vancouver's 2466. Points are almost exactly the same too.

If you want to talk about development of non-dafted prospects, during that time period... you could probably say Vancouver did a better job overall.
Context Burning... its about context.

I was responding to Med's sentiments (which has been definitely echoed by others) that injuries are not an excuse for why this season's Canucks are doing so bad.

All teams suffer injuries, true. But not all teams draft as poorly as the Canucks did in the time frame that would help the most to mitigate the injuries suffered this season. To mitigate injuries to key personnel you need a lot of depth and that depth must have top 6 potential. Kudos for Mike GIllis for being able to pick up players like Stanton and Santo. But those guys are bottom 6/bottom 3 depth players

The blanket statement of "all teams suffer injuries" is a thoughtless statement as it is completely situational.
- Detroit has drafted and developed their prospects incredibly well and will probably make the playoffs this season despite not having Dats and Z for the last third of the season.

- Pittsburgh has a guy by the name of Sidney Crosby who is 26 years of age, plays 22 minutes a game and is a generational player. They also have wingers that can actually score. :P

No prospect depth + no Sidney Crosby + injuries to the majority of key players + a unsuitable coaching system + David Booth = cluster fuck of a season.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

I'll go on record as saying that if Dallas makes the playoffs, they'll push St.Louis big time. I'm not prepared to say that Dallas would beat St. Louis if they made it in, but I could see St.Louis/Dallas going 7 games.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

BurningBeard wrote:I really think it would be funny to watch Montreal make some noise out East. They're coming into the playoffs red hot and seem to be off everyone's radar. If Price keeps playing the way he is right now, he will steal them a few games.
Mmm, yesss... yesss... all is working according to plan... 8-)

And *some* people were arguing they'd be hard to cheer for. :roll:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BurningBeard wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:I really think it would be funny to watch Montreal make some noise out East. They're coming into the playoffs red hot and seem to be off everyone's radar. If Price keeps playing the way he is right now, he will steal them a few games.

It took me a while but if it was them or Boston.....

I mean if it was Calgary and Boston who would you cheer for?
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

I think I'd have to cheer for "massive earthquake resulting in stadium collapse".
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hockey Widow wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

That's easy.

Boston.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:

Al Qaeda, with a couple of surface to air missiles and flight plans for the two teams' charter jets. :devil:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.