Torts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do you want Torts as the head coach of your Vancouver Canucks for the 2014/15 season?

Yes
23%
No
63%
TBD
13%

Total votes: 30

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Torts

Post by mathonwy »

I can't believe that there isn't a Torts thread.

Interesting Mike Gillis interview this morning on Team 1040.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html

You can make your own conclusion on whether that's ol luggage eyes trying to save his job or whether there's some truth to what he's saying.

Or you can go fuck the media and carry on in being a Torts apologist.

For me, Torts has done absolutely nothing this season to inspire any type of confidence from me as a fan. I'm just waiting for the next blow up to occur. We need calm and collected at this point of time and Torts is not that guy.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Torts

Post by SKYO »

Torts style of play worked initially but it took a beating on our star players asap, and with a lack of talent after all the injuries, our working class of players faired even worse offensively, kind of a double whammy.

Star players overworked, playing a more robust style plus more blocked shots = numerous injuries to the star players, and with our stars fallen, the gritty players trying to score and play torts systems is a recipe for disaster add in a rookie goalie and we are out of the playoffs.

No source, but it just seems the players don't like Torts lol, if it's the Aquabros fault for the hiring, they should pony up the dough to let him go, and try not to meddle into the GM's 'process' ever again.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:Torts style of play worked initially but it took a beating on our star players asap, and with a lack of talent after all the injuries, our working class of players faired even worse offensively, kind of a double whammy.

Star players overworked, playing a more robust style plus more blocked shots = numerous injuries to the star players, and with our stars fallen, the gritty players trying to score and play torts systems is a recipe for disaster add in a rookie goalie and we are out of the playoffs.

No source, but it just seems the players don't like Torts lol, if it's the Aquabros fault for the hiring, they should pony up the dough to let him go, and try not to meddle into the GM's 'process' ever again.
or you can read Henrik's comments the other day where he refutes all these arguments.

Mathowny cements himself permanently to reefer's fire everybody without offering any solution.

Hollow.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I will say that I think good, competent employees are able to evolve and adapt as situations require no matter what field they are in. Torts seems like a smart guy. I think that Torts, knowing fully that getting fired twice in a year might mean the end of his coaching career, will be extremely open to change.

That being said, what's easier to do; get Torts to change the systems he coaches or start with a guy who already employs the systems you want in Vancouver?

I think the more likely scenario is that Torts’ head rolls. Management will blame itself, but Torts and his staff will pay the price. My gut tells me Gillis and co will get a second chance. Teaching an old dog new tricks can be done, but it's often easier just to get a new dog.

I don’t know a whole lot about Travis Green, other than Canucks’ management is really high on him. Henning coached Green on Long Island, I believe. Here’s a comment Green made earlier this year.
Comets Corner: What style of hockey should Utica Comets fans expect to see played at The AUD?

Travis Green: As a coach, I would like to have a team that plays at a high tempo and is a puck possession team. I want to have a team that uses its speed in all three zones and wants to make plays with the puck, but makes very good decisions. I don’t want to be a defensive style team that is content in winning hockey games 1-0 or 2-1. I expect my players to want to create offense, but in saying that, they will be just as willing to commit to the defensive side of the game. In any league, if you are not committed to defending, it is hard to win. Again using speed and strong decisions in this area is crucial. I expect our team to have a very high compete level and one that is extremely well conditioned to play this style for a full 60 minutes.
- High tempo
- Puck possession
- Speed in all three zones

Hmmmm.

Maybe it's a bit early to give Green the reins of an NHL team, but maybe you fire Sullivan (who seems retarded, IMO) and bring in Green as an assistant? Use Torts as a motivator, Green as the systems guy and Gulutzan can still hang out and chew gum?
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

herb wrote:
I think the more likely scenario is that Torts’ head rolls. Management will blame itself, but Torts and his staff will pay the price. My gut tells me Gillis and co will get a second chance. Teaching an old dog new tricks can be done, but it's often easier just to get a new dog.
IIRC his contract is for $2 mil per for another 3 years, so I doubt Aquaman wants to pull the plug after just 1 :?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Zamboni Driver wrote:IIRC his contract is for $2 mil per for another 3 years, so I doubt Aquaman wants to pull the plug after just 1 :?
I believe it's $2M for another four years, actually.

I doubt ownership wants to as well, but firing coaches and managers who have term left on their contracts is pretty common in professional sports. If Torts were to get re-hired then the Canucks wouldn't owe him a dime.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

In the grand scheme of things $2M probably isn't that much. The Canucks annual corporate budget is surely well north of $100M, so a less than 2% hit would be well worth it if it makes the team better and brings in more revenue.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If rumours are true that they may want to sell it is doubtful they fire anyone and saddle new ownership with contracts on the books like that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cut your losses, fire Torts. It's basically this - Torts vs The Sedins. The twins ain't going anywhere unless they retire, unless you trade them for something shittier than what we got for Luongo. They are here for awhile, their contracts suck, thanks Mike. So if Torts can't change his style, just don't see that happening, to implement a style that maximizes the most out of the Sedins then he has to go, it's that simple. The Sedins can't play Torts hockey, thank you Docs Lord, and Torts can't coach Sedin hockey.

Bye Torts
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Hockey Widow wrote:If rumours are true that they may want to sell it is doubtful they fire anyone and saddle new ownership with contracts on the books like that.
For what it is worth, the TEAM 1040 reported earlier today that ownership is NOT looking to sell the team, a quote directly from Francesco Aquilini. It wouldn't make any sense regardless - with them building a new tower that is fully attached to the arena etc etc.

The Canucks are making them a tonne of money even when they are losing - club valuation is at 700 million, from the 207 million or so they paid originally (that is some serious equity that would be very useful for a development company!), and they average 101 million in revenue with a 15.8 million operating income. Even if all of the season ticket holders decline to renew, they have more than enough in the waiting line to fill their seats. It would be a stupid investment to sell now with the cost of sports franchises going nowhere but up. My guess is they will hit one billion in no time.

Having said that - firing Torts is a drop in the bucket for this team. My guess is the next coach won't be given a long contract though, likely a Gulatzen promotion to see what GMMG can do next year. If they still tank, new GM, who then would want a new coach. Doesn't make sense to go out and sign another coach next year unless they fire both Torts and GMMG this year, and let the new GM hire the coach.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Unfortunately I couldn't fit in the entire poll question.

I meant (contract aside), do you want Torts to be the coach next season.

The reality of the situation is the decision for Torts to get canned this season is going to be completely up to how much heat Aquilini is personally taking and THAT'S IT. The decision to fire Torts will cost Aquaman X amount of dollars and rich people don't pay X dollars if they can help it.

So contract aside, I do not believe Torterella is the right coach to steer this team through a rebuild. I think this guy shows too much emotion. When things aren't going well, you put the camera on Torts and you see how upset he is. An example of this is the reaming out of Edler on the bench.

And then Hansen:

If my manager started poking me in the shoulder when I screwed up, I'd start tuning him out pretty damn fast.

The problem with Alex Edler is between his ears. He has shown that he can be a very good hockey player that is capable of playing at a very high skill level. In 2011, we ended the season being #1 in PP and #2 in PK. Alex Edler was a big part of that.

Torts was brought in to possibly help Alex Edler and instead, Edler is having his worst season of his career. Torts fiery style has not helped and will not help Alex ONE bit.

Then you got Alex Burrows latest commentary:

And coincidentally, Burrows is also having his worst season ever.

And it also doesn't help that both players suffered some pretty bad injuries this season.

Even though AV came off as a smug SOB, he was also extremely even keeled. Torts... not even a little bit.
Last edited by mathonwy on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

^^^^^ Who gives a fuck about Burrows ? Hopefully the wops are willing to spend and gut him and the coach. His worst season ever ? I think 05-06 was worse and he has been trending downward for a couple years now.

I thought Torts might have been the guy to tweak things and get a bit more from this bunch but it really wouldn't matter who was coaching this team whether it be Vigneault or Babcock or Torts. They would have never broken 90 - 92 points and would have barely squeaked into the playoffs at best considering the injuries, cap problems and lack of depth. The roster needs to be turned over by 30 - 40 % .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I like burrows
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Torts is a pretty good coach but he doesn't mesh with this teams' style.

-Fire Torts
-Revert back to the 2008-2012 style of hockey, and bring in a coach that is comfortable and familiar with coaching that.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

rats19 wrote:I like burrows
I'm mixed with Burrows.

I obviously love the fact that he's a clutch player and a very hard worker, but I can't stand the biting, hair pulling, diving, and all that other weasaly shit........which contributed to giving the Canucks such a bad reputation.

I simultaneously love and severely dislike Burrows..........and since these feelings cancel each other out, my overall feeling about Burrows is neutral?
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises