Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Teams like Buffalo and the Panthers may value 2 first rounders or a the 9th pick + Gaunce more than a top 4 pick in 2014. Perhaps one of those teams would like Hansen instead of Gaunce. Perhaps Van 1st + Hansen + 3rd rounder ... mayb e a 2nd rounder. I would just like to see the GM go all in on one of those top 3 forwards. I am not quite as sold on Draisatl as the other three but he is an interesting prospect.
It's really too bad that Calgary and Edmonton are sitting in the top-5 because I don't think they're going to want to trade their first rounders to the Canucks.

The other one to keep an eye on is Ottawa, their pick will be going to Anaheim in the Bobby Ryan trade. Anaheim, supposedly, was one of the teams rumoured to be interested in Kesler. Ottawa currently has the 8th overall spot,but are 2-6-2 in their past 10 and could wind up as low/high as 6th overall. You would have to think, given their current positon, that Anaheim would rather make a 2-year run with an established guy like Kesler instead of a prospect.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Dal Colle will be a bust, only cause his name sucks how many hockey greats HHOF are there with a last name that splits in two? That's right none.

kidding not kidding
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle will be gone by the time we pick. We will be picking somewhere between 9-14. We ain't catching Phoenix, they are playing great hockey right now. So it will come down to

Ritchie
Nylander
McCann
Perlini
Ehlers
Fleury
Kempe
Kapanen
Virtanen

Ritchie, Nylander and McCann will most likely be the next 3 to go after the first 5. Who will most likely be left by the time we pick will be

Perlini
Fleury
Ehlers
Kempe
Kapanen
Virtanen

That grouping is what we will most likely be picking from by the time we pick. Ehlers may be worth the risk there, or we play it safe and pick Fleury or Perlini. Either way it is just so Canucks to start playing well enough to put themselves out of a quality draft position yet not make the playoffs. Or better yet, make the playoffs only to get slaughtered in the 1st round.

If we don't trade Kesler to Anaheim for the Ottawa pick it will be a pretty dull draft pickings day for us. Edler is to fucking awful for a team wanting to throw us the moon for.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently the big rumour out there is that Carolina wants to completely blow the team up for a rebuild with rumours of everyone being available including Eric Staal and Jeff Skinner. Carolina might steal the thunder on draft day. Might be a problem if we are trying to trade Kesler on draft day too
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Devils forfeit their 1st pick this year cause of the kovalchuk signing penalty right? I believe they had 3 drafts to do it and 2014 draft was their last. So I gather that's a benefit to teams at the draft who finish behind them in the standings?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:The Devils forfeit their 1st pick this year cause of the kovalchuk signing penalty right? I believe they had 3 drafts to do it and 2014 draft was their last. So I gather that's a benefit to teams at the draft who finish behind them in the standings?
The NHL let them off the hook. They get the 30th overall pick in the draft this year, I believe.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:The Devils forfeit their 1st pick this year cause of the kovalchuk signing penalty right? I believe they had 3 drafts to do it and 2014 draft was their last. So I gather that's a benefit to teams at the draft who finish behind them in the standings?
Seems like they get the 30th overall pick no matter what happens...
The New Jersey Devils will now be entitled to the 30th selection overall in the 2014 NHL Draft (the last pick in the first round), regardless of the Devils' final standing following the 2013/14 season.

The Club will not be permitted to trade or transfer its right to the 30th overall selection in the 2014 NHL Draft.

The League intends to have no further comment on this matter.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=708210
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Good for us since we have 74 points and they have 73. If it stays that way
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle will be gone by the time we pick. We will be picking somewhere between 9-14. We ain't catching Phoenix, they are playing great hockey right now. So it will come down to

Ritchie
Nylander
McCann
Perlini
Ehlers
Fleury
Kempe
Kapanen
Virtanen

Ritchie, Nylander and McCann will most likely be the next 3 to go after the first 5. Who will most likely be left by the time we pick will be

Perlini
Fleury
Ehlers
Kempe
Kapanen
Virtanen

That grouping is what we will most likely be picking from by the time we pick. Ehlers may be worth the risk there, or we play it safe and pick Fleury or Perlini. Either way it is just so Canucks to start playing well enough to put themselves out of a quality draft position yet not make the playoffs. Or better yet, make the playoffs only to get slaughtered in the 1st round.

If we don't trade Kesler to Anaheim for the Ottawa pick it will be a pretty dull draft pickings day for us. Edler is to fucking awful for a team wanting to throw us the moon for.
Can't see McCann going in the top 8, barring a huge playoff performance a la Horvat last year. He's more likely to go in the 10 to 12 range. Really like the kid, he's got great wheels, plays the point on the PP and has a big shot, very good both ways. He's got a ton of Kesler in him but not as gritty, at least not yet. Quite a different player than Horvat who is much thicker and plays the game very differently. Would be very happy with McCann as the pick.

Assuming the Nucks finish 5-5 in their last 10 games they will finish with 84 points and a pick in the 7-10 range. That means:

Reinhart
Bennett
Ekblad
Dal Colle
Draisaitl

Are all almost surely gone. Next group that the Nucks will likely pick from is:

Ritchie
Perlini
Ehlers
Nylander
Virtanen
McCann

Not necessarily in that order. Of that group I would take Ritchie or Nylander first, with Virtanen or McCann as the fallback guys. Ehlers is very skinny, not sure if he will keep his ridiculous speed once he puts on 25 pounds, but he's got some great hands. Perlini is a bit of an unknown, has all the tools but is a soft player, we will see if he can learn to play in the dirty areas that will be necessary in the NHL. Ritchie is huge but will need to work on his fitness, likely won't play at 230 in the NHL. Nylander and Virtanen I can't comment on as I have never seen either guy play, but from what I read both would be great additions.

Any way you look at it the Nucks will add a very good prospect to what is becoming a solid group of prospects. Don't believe the garbage that places like Hockey's Future spew, when you have a player like Horvat (who will be a stud, having watched him over 10 times this year) in your group you have something to look forward to. There are a few others that look good as well - Gaunce, Fox, Cassels, and the wildcard that is Shinkaruk.

Also really need to sign Ben Hutton, who by all accounts could be a top 4 dman in the league for a long time. Not a bad 5th round pick.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You gotta take McCann way ahead of Virtanen. The kid is on fire in the first two games of the playoffs. Virtanans power game which is his bread and butter won't transition smoothly to the NHL. You gotta take both McCann and Ehlers ahead of Virtanen. Perlini is a big softie, don't want him. I predict that McCann, Ritchie. Ehlers and Nylander will be the four that go after the consensus top 5. Probably Fleury rounds out the top 10. 11-14 will be Kempe, Virtanen, Perlini, Kapanen.

Canucks have got to get their pick in that 6-9 zone.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

For what it's worth - Thanks RD & Diehard for the info gathering... it makes it easy for some of us less ambitious types to gauge the 'lay of the land'.

Now Go Buffalo Go!! Except let Kass score 2 in our losing cause (just to show up CoHo)
cc oldtimer
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:You gotta take McCann way ahead of Virtanen. The kid is on fire in the first two games of the playoffs. Virtanans power game which is his bread and butter won't transition smoothly to the NHL. You gotta take both McCann and Ehlers ahead of Virtanen. Perlini is a big softie, don't want him. I predict that McCann, Ritchie. Ehlers and Nylander will be the four that go after the consensus top 5. Probably Fleury rounds out the top 10. 11-14 will be Kempe, Virtanen, Perlini, Kapanen.

Canucks have got to get their pick in that 6-9 zone.
As I said I haven't watched Virtanen but he sure seems like a boom or bust prospect. I'm not sure that's the type of guy you want to take in the top 10, maybe with a 12-15 pick you do. Perlini is a bit the same, could turn into Anthony Mantha from last year's draft or could be a perimeter guy, essentially a bigger version of Raymond.

I'd be very happy with McCann or Ehlers. The nice thing about picking a guy like Ritchie is that with him, Kass, Jensen, Horvat and Gaunce on the team you would have a group of big and mobile forwards, wouldn't have to worry about size for a while. I like Ritchie's game, big and mobile, fights and has a very good shot. Only downside is he's had some concussion issues. I have been and will be watching a ton of the OHL playoffs, will post any further thoughts I have on these guys.

Fleury is also a bit of a wildcard, not in terms of his play but he could go anywhere from 8 to 15 depending on which team wants a dman. Assuming the Nucks don't want a D I hope he gets picked by a team before.

Can't see the Nucks getting worse than 10th overall, barring a really hot streak over the next 3 weeks. Ideally when Kes is traded another 1st pick comes back with him, would prefer it for next year's draft as it's very, very good but if it's this year's there are lots of skilled players who will be available later in round 1. Most are small which is why they won't go any higher.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Would be nice to trade way up to try to land Reinhart, could be the 2nd line Canadian center we've been looking for.

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter ... 4&catid=11
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The negatives I've read on Virtanen is that he's a one move blinders booth type and simply tries to power his way to the net all the time and scouts feel he wont he able to get away with that in the NHL. He's a bit of a one trick pony. McCann I want but he's climbing fast and could very well go 6th overall.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:The negatives I've read on Virtanen is that he's a one move blinders booth type and simply tries to power his way to the net all the time and scouts feel he wont he able to get away with that in the NHL. He's a bit of a one trick pony. McCann I want but he's climbing fast and could very well go 6th overall.
That's fine, if McCann goes 6th that means one of Ehlers, Ritchie or Nylander should be available for the Nucks. I'd be happy with any of them .