Gallagher says Kassian needs a new start elsewhere

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Gallagher says Kassian needs a new start elsewhere

Post by nuckster »

Yeah yeah yeah I know Gallagher tends to put himself 'out there' sometimes, but I thought he made some interesting points in an article he wrote yesterday where he made a case that Kassian needs to get out of Canuckland and make a new start elsewhere if he's ever going to achieve his potential.

A very valid point he brings to the fore is how Torts has refused to use Kassian on the first line or powerplay, always citing that he isn't defensively responsible enough. So in comes a new rookie, Jensen, who has proven diddly squat initially and is given the opportunity to have first line minutes without having to work his way up through the trenches like Kassian.

The point had been brought up here numerous times by different posters re: what does Tort's have to lose by bringing Kassian up? Sure there will be defensive lapses but there is a huge upside to putting Kass with the Sedins (now Burrows); not only potential goal production but possibly the biggest factor - the infusion of trust and confidence in an up and coming rookie to excell and learn from seasoned vets.

With being relegated to the third line forever and a day, Kass is basically learning to function as a third liner and to play like a PLUG.

Kass has gone along with Torts direction, always saying the right things, but ya gotta wonder how it all sits with him now!? "Dyeah boss I'll be a good tird liner" or, 'Hey buddy, go fuck yourself! When my time/contract is up, I'm outta here!" ???

What do some of the other 'pluggers' think here? :)
cc oldtimer
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Gallagher says Kassian needs a new start elsewhere

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I think it's about putting people in places to succeed. Kassian is capable of playing a depth role. He has size, he finishes checks, and he can pot/set up the odd goal.

Jensen, on the other hand, would most likely look lost and hopeless playing 3rd/4th line minutes and with 3rd/4th line linemates. He plays a more up-tempo game, and is a finisher, whereas Kassian strikes me more of a playmaker.

With Daniel out, Hank needs someone who can shoot the puck to play with. Jensen can do that. I'm not sure Kassian has the conditioning to play top-flight minutes, while doing the things that make him successful (being physical, finishing checks, being an asshole etc).

I think you'll see Kassian forced into the top-6 next season. Burrows may be traded. Booth will almost certainly not be here. It's up to him to put it together on a consistent basis and force his coaches hand. Until then, he's well-suited for a depth role, and the coach using him there is fine by me.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

nuckster wrote:Yeah yeah yeah I know Gallagher tends to put himself 'out there' sometimes, but I thought he made some interesting points in an article he wrote yesterday where he made a case that Kassian needs to get out of Canuckland and make a new start elsewhere if he's ever going to achieve his potential.

A very valid point he brings to the fore is how Torts has refused to use Kassian on the first line or powerplay, always citing that he isn't defensively responsible enough. So in comes a new rookie, Jensen, who has proven diddly squat initially and is given the opportunity to have first line minutes without having to work his way up through the trenches like Kassian.

The point had been brought up here numerous times by different posters re: what does Tort's have to lose by bringing Kassian up? Sure there will be defensive lapses but there is a huge upside to putting Kass with the Sedins (now Burrows); not only potential goal production but possibly the biggest factor - the infusion of trust and confidence in an up and coming rookie to excell and learn from seasoned vets.

With being relegated to the third line forever and a day, Kass is basically learning to function as a third liner and to play like a PLUG.

Kass has gone along with Torts direction, always saying the right things, but ya gotta wonder how it all sits with him now!? "Dyeah boss I'll be a good tird liner" or, 'Hey buddy, go fuck yourself! When my time/contract is up, I'm outta here!" ???

What do some of the other 'pluggers' think here? :)
After reading that article, I am kind of pissed with the local media. They just would not leave the players, coaches, or GM alone for a day. These buggers just have to stir the pot every freaking day to make a living... :mad:

I like Kassian because he brings needed toughness and physical edge that this Canucks team sorely lacks. However, Jensen and Kassian are different types of players. Jensen is a natural sniper with size. Kassian is a power forward with playmaking skills. The twins need someone to shoot the damn puck and Jensen fits them better than Kassian in that case.
Last edited by Jovocop on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Everyone who points the finger at Kassian's irresponsible defensive play as a reason for not putting him on the PP or in the top-6 needs to give their head a shake.

There's no denying that Kassian needs to be more aware defensively. But the fact of the matter is that we have other players in our top-6 who have been making just as many defensive gaffs all year long. Our top-4 defensemen have all been less than impressive. Edler is a MINUS-29!!!!

What confuses me is the way in which Kassian is handled by coaching staff and management. Gillis traded away a top-6 forward to get Zack. He stated that Kassian is the kind of player that has a rare combination of size and skill and that you try to acquire any way you can. Then Kassian gets stapled to a role in the bottom-6. Kassian was put on a line with the Sedins in the second game of the shortened 2013 season, he had 5 goals and an assist over the next 7 games (also notched a the S/O winner against Calgary) and he was a positive +/- player. Then, for no apparent reason, Vigneault demotes him to the third line. Kassian turns into a nobody for the rest of the year and is vilified for his poor defensive play. This year Kas had a rough start with Torts, but he started to come around and was showing that he could learn the defensive game, but it doesn't matter how poorly and unproductive the Sedins and Burrows were, Kassian was still never given a chance on the PP or even on the top line at 5-on-5 for an entire game or two to see if his size, strength, and skill, could be of help in front of the net while the Twins worked the perimeter.

I would hate to see Kassian get a fresh start somewhere because I know he would turn into the player we want to see him become.....and instead of helping us he would be pointed back at us. Besides, the return would be lousy at this point. Let him play with the kids, re-learn how to have fun with the game again.

I completely agree with you nuckster ( or with TonyG), Kassian has learned how to be a plug because that is the role he's been given and how he has been asked to play.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Kassian is getting the highest average ice time of his NHL career! Maybe if he didn't have the 8th most PIMs in the league, and hadn't been suspended twice he'd play a bit more!

Can we go one day without drama please?

Kassian will be a RFA with very little leverage. If he requests a trade, and there are no indications he has become disgruntled, then he'll be out of the league faster than he can get suspended for another questionable hit.

I like Zack, but he needs to be more consistent in terms of putting forth an efficient, effective effort and making intelligent hockey plays before he'll get "top 6" ice time.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote: After reading that article, I am kind of pissed with the local media. They just would not leave the players, coaches, or GM alone for a day. These buggers just have to stir the pot every freaking day to make a living... :mad:

I like Kassian because he brings needed toughness and physical edge that this Canucks team sorely lacks. However, Jensen and Kassian are different types of players. Jensen is a natural sniper with size. Kassian is a power forward with playmaking skills. The twins need someone to shoot the damn puck and Jensen fits them better than Kassian in that case.
If this is a question of whether or not to play Jensen or Kassian with the Sedins, I'm a bit torn, but I don't think a sniper like Jensen is the answer.

Burrows is a two-way grinder with good hands and instincts. Anson Carter was a go to the net guy with a nose for finishing the dirty goals. King, same story. Klatt, same story. All of these guys had huge success with the Sedins.

Markus Naslund was a sniping winger who loved to notch his belt with wristers from the shortside up over the goalie's shoulder. He liked cutting to the slot and letting fly from prime shooting areas. His game flowed out of the rush and quick puck movement on the PP. His time with the Sedins was not a resounding success by any stretch of the imagination. He tried to adapt his game and play around the net more, but it wasn't his forte, and he eventually was chased out of town by disgruntled fans and witch-hunting media whores.

Jensen reminds me of Naslund. He won't get the setup pass through the slot because the Sedins, for all their passing ability, don't like the lower percentage pass through traffic. They prefer the safe perimeter game that keeps puck possession but generates limited scoring chances. Jensen will be wasted there. Just look at what he's done in this call-up. The guy has been scoring goals from prime areas, off the rush, and primarily outside of the Sedin-cycle. This is reminiscent of 2010 when Hank won the Art Ross and Hart Trophy while Daniel was out. Henrik had to change things up because he didn't have Danny to cycle with. That is happening again with Dank on the sidelines. Our goals are coming while Henrik is on the ice because Hank, a pure setup man, has guys to setup who like to finish.

So if we are talking with the Sedins then Kassian fits. If we are talking with Hank and Bur, then Jensen is the clear choice.

I would also like to see Kassian and Jensen on a line with either Mattias or Schroeder. It could be fun to watch as Kas likes to play setup man, Jensen likes to score, Mattias is good in front and Schroeder can wheel around pretty nicely.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Are you guys serious?

Two NHL coaches cut from very different cloths are treating the SAME player in the SAME way.

Maybe its a Zack Kassian problem?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote: Can we go one day without drama please?
That's exactly what I thought. :mad:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

mathonwy wrote:Maybe its a Zack Kassian problem?
Thing is, there isn't a problem at all.

More media created bullshit in Vancouver. Maybe it'll be a blessing when newspapers finally go the way of the dinosaur?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote: I would also like to see Kassian and Jensen on a line with either Mattias or Schroeder. It could be fun to watch as Kas likes to play setup man, Jensen likes to score, Mattias is good in front and Schroeder can wheel around pretty nicely.
To be honest, I don't believe that Schroeder is part of MG's long-term plan.

Schroeder does not have the size and strength to be an effective 3rd/4th liner. He has skills, vision and smart to be a top-six guy but he is not a superster nor has a great shot. If Kesler is not traded, Schroeder has no chance of taking Matthias' spot. On the depth chart, he might be surpassed by Horvat, Gaunce, and even Cassels.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

mathonwy wrote:Are you guys serious?

Two NHL coaches cut from very different cloths are treating the SAME player in the SAME way.

Bertuzzi did not mature until he was 25/26. Zack is only 23. Perhaps he just needs time.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jovocop wrote:

Bertuzzi did not mature until he was 25/26. Zack is only 23. Perhaps he just needs time.
Yup, not every power forward develops at the same pace as others, but usually there is a pattern for the average power forward, whatever that is, that at around 25/26 they come around.

2015/16 season should be the banner year we get to see the great Kassassin on the daily. :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Kesler is here next year I would like to see the twins split up. Keep Hank/burrows/Jensen. Have Kesler/dank/Kassian as the second line.

That leaves us a pretty damn decent third line of Matthias/Hansen/Higgins.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

SKYO wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

Yup, not every power forward develops at the same pace as others, but usually there is a pattern for the average power forward, whatever that is, that at around 25/26 they come around.

2015/16 season should be the banner year we get to see the great Kassassin on the daily. :thumbs:

Sure hope so! For better or worse, Kassian is part of the team. But it's on Kassian to prove to the coach (whoever it will be) that he can play a good clean and tough hockey game without being a defensive liability and without being suspended.

Kassian is now classified as a repeat offender. The next careless thing he does that results in serious injury is going to cost him 10 games. And.. he's only 23.

As the coach, I would find it very difficult to trust him with any type of responsibility knowing that he's one shift away from being suspended again.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Tony G is out to lunch on this one. Kassassian is fine. If MG trades him, i'll be pissed. I don't really care if MG stays or goes, but if he trades Kass, I will join the firegillis bandwagon. It'll be a cam neely trade all over again. :lol: