Alexandre Burrows Appreciation Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Alexandre Burrows Appreciation Thread

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote:Ahh... I remember when it was just yesterday when I created the original Alex Burrows appreciation thread on CanucksCentral.
And I appreciate your appreciation.

Present day Canuck fans who don't appreciate Mr Burrows should be made to walk the plank.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Nice to see Burr finally get some bounces and get hot, unfortunately it may be too little too late. Better late than never I guess. *hehe* Boy, he seems to have some great chemistry with Jensens, might be no coincidence Burr finally got going when the young gun was called up. Those 2 have been really carrying that line, carrying our captain and superstar Hank Sedin. :lol:
Agreed, nothing like young enthusiasm + old enthusiasm + Hank. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:As embarrassing as the hair pulling is, as little amusement as I take from the inventive trash talking at this point, I still like Alex Burrows and hope he does well - but this is a franchise in transition and if part of that means moving Burr's cap space and roster spot to another player I'm fine with that.
I don't know Dave.

Even with Burrows and Booth this team will be under the cap next year. Without Booth we will easily have over $8M in space. Without Booth and Kesler we will have over $13M in space. Without Booth, Kesler and Edler...well you get the picture.

I think we should have traded Burrows when the gettin' was good, so to speak, but now that we have him on a LTC with a NTC (HW indicated that he is not interested in being moved), I think we're pretty much stuck with him. There's no point in buying him out because we can afford him and he has utility throughout the lineup. The trade market would be limited, to say the least (that is IF he would even be open to a trade).

Even if Burrows ends up in the bottom six, on a rebuilding team is that really so bad?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: As for Burr Appreciatin, I can think of no nicer think to say than he this generation's Geoff Courtnall, or maybe Greg Adams!! Greg Adams!!
Good call, he's a lot like Gus.

GOTTA love those heart-and-soul team-first clutch-players! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Happy happy happy to keep burrows..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: (HW indicated that he is not interested in being moved), I think we're pretty much stuck with him.
Burrows loves your Vancouver Canucks.

We should be happy to be stuck with him.

Burrows is the kind of guy who scores your Cup-clinching goal.

And he does it for YOU, the fan.
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote:
I still like Alex Burrows and hope he does well - but this is a franchise in transition and if part of that means moving Burr's cap space and roster spot to another player I'm fine with that.
Well sure Dave... if that's possible.

Not very many excellent defensive players who tend to score HUGE goals when the chips are down though.

So yeah, good luck with that.

Good luck finding another $4.5m top 6 forward who brings what Burrows brings!
Well that's not really what I mean, Doc.

The Canucks could dump Burrows and pay him $8m plus another ~$13.5m to another forward over the next three years and at best, get a similar proposition - a guy who will probably never score 20 in a single year, can contribute at both ends but isn't the Burr that we all Image so much.

That would be kind of dumb unless for whatever reason someone has decided there absolutely must be a "culture change" and Burrows is at the center of that.

What they could decide, is that rather than spending moderate cap dollars on contracts like Burrows' and Booths', they ought to dole out big money for a player who is closer to the Kesler, Sedin level - and then depend on cheaper vets (Hansen, Higgins, Matthias, Richardson) and the kids to fill out the ranks. I don't have a specific suggestion for who that might be, out of the upcoming UFA crop, mind you.
herb wrote:Even if Burrows ends up in the bottom six, on a rebuilding team is that really so bad?
It's not the end of the world IMO.

I mean, if the team tried to retool and could have used his cap space (and then some) towards a significantly better player that'd be bad. If they tried to rebuild and carried nine veteran forwards (including Burrows, excluding Booth) under contract next year, that wouldn't be great either.
Last edited by dbr on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

herb wrote:
Even with Burrows and Booth this team will be under the cap next year. Without Booth we will easily have over $8M in space. Without Booth and Kesler we will have over $13M in space. Without Booth, Kesler and Edler...well you get the picture.
Team currently has 10.5 mil in cap space next year, buying out booth will give them 14.75 million with 18 players signed.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

vic wrote:Team currently has 10.5 mil in cap space next year, buying out booth will give them 14.75 million with 18 players signed.
Yeah that is correct if you just look at capgeek and ignore obvious holes in that roster (Kassian, Tanev, 14th forward, 7th d-man, etc.). Just filling out that roster is $6M easily, which is how I arrived at my guesstimate.
Last edited by herb on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:
herb wrote:Even if Burrows ends up in the bottom six, on a rebuilding team is that really so bad?
It's not the end of the world IMO.

I mean, if the team tried to retool and could have used his cap space (and then some) towards a significantly better player that'd be bad. If they tried to rebuild and carried nine veteran forwards (including Burrows, excluding Booth) under contract next year, that wouldn't be great either.
Yeah, I pretty much agree, although I don't know how we could play more than three rookies based upon the young guys we currently have.

I could live with something like this to start the year to get the rebuild underway. You'd see our three best rookie forwards with the big club, and much better depth than we have seen all of this year.

Jensen - H Sedin - Burrows
D Sedin - Kesler - Shinkaruk
Higgins - Horvat - Kassian
Hansen - Richardson - Matthias
Schroeder - Sestito

I haven't put much thought into line combos, as is pretty self evident. I'm more looking at what is affordable, what assets we have and what young players I could realistically see on the team to start the year.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Are we still laughing at the flames for not trading their core in time to facilitate the rebuild?

Burrows recent streak might be what we need to interest the habs into sending over some futures ;)
You know Dan, I don't think you have as much appreciation for Mr Burrows as you should have.

And I don't think you have any idea at all as to what went wrong in Calgary.

I think you're overreacting to the present Canuck situation.

If I may be so bold.... I think you're running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Image
Oh yes...you can absolutely be so bold.
I happen to love the Burrows who roofed it to close out the hated blah-cocks. I loved the guy who stood up for Willie. In fact, I think he's far from washed up...but...
He's now well into his 30's, hasn't played particularly well the past 2 playoffs plus having an excusable yet worry season on the trainers table, draws the wrong kind of attention from the zebras and is soon to be in the twilight of his NHL career.
Selling while he can bring in something significant while changing the vibe of the team away from diving and biting etc is what I'd like to see. My opinion only though so u can like it or hate it.
Calgary I won't pretend to know anything about so u got me there...
If you need air...call it in
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

herb wrote:
I could live with something like this to start the year to get the rebuild underway. You'd see our three best rookie forwards with the big club, and much better depth than we have seen all of this year.

Jensen - H Sedin - Burrows
D Sedin - Kesler - Shinkaruk
Higgins - Horvat - Kassian
Hansen - Richardson - Matthias
Schroeder - Sestito

I haven't put much thought into line combos, as is pretty self evident. I'm more looking at what is affordable, what assets we have and what young players I could realistically see on the team to start the year.
With Sedins, Burr, Kess Higgings, Kassian and Hansen, we have 7 top 9 forwards. And, as pointed out before, once Booth is bought out, we still have about 8mil in cap space. I'd love to see

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-new guy
Kassian-rookie-Hanson
rookie-rookie-rookie
with Mathian and Richardson as fill ins or to replace rookies as needed.

We have a lot of talent coming up, and with 8mil in cap room, we have space for a couple of good forwards too.
we have a pretty bright future ahead. (said like a true fan, eh?)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: I happen to love the Burrows who roofed it to close out the hated blah-cocks. I loved the guy who stood up for Willie. In fact, I think he's far from washed up...
NOW THAT'S THE KIND OF SPIRIT WE WANT TO SEE IN A BURROWS APPRECIATION THREAD!! :thumbs:
Uncle dans leg wrote: but...
He's now well into his 30's,
Teemu Selanne - 43
Jaromir Jagr - 42
Ray Whitney - 41
Daniel Alfredsson - 41

:roll:
Uncle dans leg wrote: hasn't played particularly well the past 2 playoffs
Well he led the team in goal scoring over the past 2 playoffs and was one of our best defensive players.

Not sure what else you want from him.
Uncle dans leg wrote: plus having an excusable yet worry season on the trainers table,
A bruised foot from blocking a shot on a 5 on 3.

A broken jaw from a Tanev shot on goal.

A sprained hand from scrum (didn't miss any games).

All freak accidents.

I mean it's not like he's falling apart physically, or that these injuries will affect his game moving forward.
Uncle dans leg wrote: draws the wrong kind of attention from the zebras
As do all agitators.

Hey, every team has them.
Uncle dans leg wrote: and is soon to be in the twilight of his NHL career.
Teemu Selanne - 43
Jaromir Jagr - 42
Ray Whitney - 41
Daniel Alfredsson - 41

Uncle dans leg wrote: Selling while he can bring in something significant while changing the vibe of the team away from diving and biting etc is what I'd like to see.
Ahhh so now we could receive "something significant" eh Dan? :wink:

Sedins, Kesler, Luongo, and Lappy contributed more to the diving vibe than Burrows IMO.

And I think it's fairly obvious two of them are gone and the other four have cleaned up their act.

The "biting" incident was overplayed by the media.

It was reviewed by the league and Burrows was deemed NOT GUILTY.

Also, Burrows claimed he did not bite Bergeron.

That's good enough for me... and it should be good enough for you.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Calgary I won't pretend to know anything about so u got me there...
Ahh but you DID pretend to know something about the problem in Calgary n'est pas? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote: Well that's not really what I mean, Doc.

The Canucks could dump Burrows and pay him $8m plus another ~$13.5m to another forward over the next three years and at best, get a similar proposition - a guy who will probably never score 20 in a single year, can contribute at both ends but isn't the Burr that we all Image so much.

That would be kind of dumb unless for whatever reason someone has decided there absolutely must be a "culture change" and Burrows is at the center of that.
Sorry Dave, but that would be dumb period.

First of all you're suggesting buying out one of our best forwards.

Secondly you're suggesting Aquaman shells out $21.5m (real $$ over 3 years) in return for some 3rd line schmuck

... instead of staying with Burr for $12m (real $$ over 3 years). :shock:

(did you mess that up, cuz it reads like you're saying buy him out and get someone else in at the same cap hit)

And I'll have you know Mr Burrows has scored at a 29-goals-per-season clip (pro-rated) going into this season

... over the 5 previous seasons.

Also, Mr Burrows is tied with Daniel over that same period of time in playoff goals (18).

Compare that to Hank (12) and Kesler (12).

FFS Dave, you know that Daniel, Hank, and Kess were the #1 PP forwards during that time frame.

Dump one of our best forwards for the sake of a "culture change"? :crazy:

Did you just suggest Burrows is "a guy who will probably never score 20 in a single year"??

I would have thought a smart guy like you would have figured out Burrows is goal-scorer in his own right.

With all due respect, I think this season from Hell has severely messed with your mind Dave.

You're not the only one though, and luckily for you, da doctor is in da house! :thumbs:
dbr wrote: What they could decide, is that rather than spending moderate cap dollars on contracts like Burrows' and Booths',
Please don't ever mention Burrows in the same sentence as Booth ever again Dave. :hmmm:
dbr wrote: they ought to dole out big money for a player who is closer to the Kesler, Sedin level
With the cap-room coming available, and the entry-level salaries on the way, we can easily add a big-money guy

.... AND keep Burrows.

Especially if we trade one of our top-4 dee as everyone seems to agree should happen.

If Burrows remains a top-sixer (as he has been for the past 6 years) he's a bargain at $4.5m with a climbing cap.

If Burrows drops to the 3rd line he may be overpaid by $1m max.

But I'd rather have Burrows on the 3rd line at $4.5m than Hansen at $2.5m.

Personally, I think Burrows remains a top-sixer for another coupla years.

No reason to think otherwise now that he has his game back post-injuries.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: but...
He's now well into his 30's,
Teemu Selanne - 43
Jaromir Jagr - 42
Ray Whitney - 41
Daniel Alfredsson - 41

Ray Witney - UFA after this season - 1059 Pts in 1321 games (.80 PPG)
Teemu Selanne - UFA after this season - 1451 pts in 1440 games (1.01 PPG)
Jaromir Jagr - UFA after this season - 1746 pts in 1459 games (1.20 PPG)
Daniel Alfredsson - UFA after this season - 1146 pts in 1233 games (.93 PPG)
Alex Burrows - 3 years @$4.5M after this season - 305 pts in 607 games (.50 PPG)

Yeah... great comparables.