Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Learning in Lowe places Spidey?
Ewwwww, don't even mention his name in the same sentence as mine TopTop.

I hang out in places of Higher learning these days (just to keep feel'n young with the Uni girls) but maybe, just maybe it's rubbing off on me. This whole notion of loving what you do. Taking one for the team in a hometown discount.

So don't earn as much as your peers in other cities but you get the women, the kid(s) and your dream job.
You get to pick your cit(y)ies.

Good on Luo, the Sedins. They love their job and are in places they really enjoy. Can you imagine being stuck in Alberta doing a job you hated just for the money of it? Fine when you are young and early twenties but why would veteran UFAs want to go there?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Arachnid wrote:We have too many damn scoring Centres! We have to get rid of a couple of them.

Bo Horvat
Hunter Shinkaruk
Brendan Gaunce
Jordan Schroeder
Cole Cassels
Dane Fox
LOL...what?!?

You can never have too many scoring centers, especially when most of these guys have a history of playing on the wing as well (Horvat, Shinkaruk and Gaunce) and none of these guys are even close to scoring at the NHL level.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

herb wrote:You can never have too many scoring centers, especially when most of these guys have a history of playing on the wing as well (Horvat, Shinkaruk and Gaunce) and none of these guys are even close to scoring at the NHL level.
Agreed, but I think his point was that you could package off these assets and have a shot of landing a real franchise player (a top draft pick in the Summer of 2015) which could be in the form of a center anyways.

Can you imagine what our future would be like if you had a Connor MacDavid or a Nathan MacInnon type of guy as your #1 center, with Bo Horvat as your #2?

The Sedins' can be here for the next 3-4 years and your Horvat's and your (insert top pick from 2015 draft) can ease into the system. Then, when the twins fade off and/or when these guys are ready, the Canucks as a team can fly off again.

It's not a bad idea.

I'd like to see who the top picks in 2015 would be though.

Going balls out to land a shot at McDavid is risky, but if there are other potential franchise centers to be had among those top picks, then it could be worth it.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The Brown Knight wrote:Can you imagine what our future would be like if you had a Connor MacDavid or a Nathan MacInnon type of guy as your #1 center, with Bo Horvat as your #2?
If Connor MacDavid is going to be as good as everybody says he is (i.e. better than Crosby), then I don't think there is a package we could put together to land him.

From my perspective, the best thing you can do is accumulate as many talented prospects as possible to fill your pipeline.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

herb wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:Can you imagine what our future would be like if you had a Connor MacDavid or a Nathan MacInnon type of guy as your #1 center, with Bo Horvat as your #2?
If Connor MacDavid is going to be as good as everybody says he is (i.e. better than Crosby), then I don't think there is a package we could put together to land him.

From my perspective, the best thing you can do is accumulate as many talented prospects as possible to fill your pipeline.
For sure. In a deal like this though (i.e. trading away Kesler, Edler, our Top 10, and a few of our center prospects), you would, in essence, be telling the team you are trading to (i.e. Buffalo or Calgary?) that you think they will finish last.

The recipient in this case (Buffalo or Calgary?) would be banking on the fact that they'd be finishing a little higher than last (5th or 6th worst?), and so that accepting a huge packages of Kesler, Edler, 2014 1st rounder, Center prospect(s), etc., would be well worth it.

If the team you're dealing with finishes as poorly as you think they will, then you have a very good chance of drafting McJesus.

The only flaw in this model, is that I can't see Kesler or even Edler waiving to go to one of the worst teams in the league.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:
Arachnid wrote:We have too many damn scoring Centres! We have to get rid of a couple of them.

Bo Horvat
Hunter Shinkaruk
Brendan Gaunce
Jordan Schroeder
Cole Cassels
Dane Fox
LOL...what?!?

You can never have too many scoring centers, especially when most of these guys have a history of playing on the wing as well (Horvat, Shinkaruk and Gaunce) and none of these guys are even close to scoring at the NHL level.
Next time learn to read & quote properly...
I know not all of them will make it to The Show but other teams think they will.
Facking putz' :twisted:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Arachnid wrote:Next time learn to read & quote properly...
I know not all of them will make it to The Show but other teams think they will.
Look who's resorting to personal attacks - the middle aged diva - what a fucking surprise.

The point is we don't know which ones will make it and which ones won't. Odds are most won't make it. It would be Canuck -luck for us to trade away the ones that are going to make it and keep the ones that don't, wouldn't it.

IMO I'd rather we keep them all and increase our odds that we actually have some prospects that will work out. Like I said earlier, I don't think there is a package we could put together to land MacDavid.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Next time learn to read & quote properly...
Look who's resorting to personal attacks - the middle aged diva - what a fucking surprise.

The point is we don't know which ones will make it and which ones won't. Odds are most won't make it. It would be Canuck -luck for us to trade away the ones that are going to make it and keep the ones that don't, wouldn't it.

IMO I'd rather we keep them all and increase our odds that we actually have some prospects that will work out. Like I said earlier, I don't think there is a package we could put together to land MacDavid.
:D

Wow, and you call me the diva.

Reminder: This here is a for profit corporate business professional ice hockey team.

It is not, repeat, not yours. It's sole purpose is to MAKE MONEY.

Why would you get all worked up on a message board regarding the above?

If you believe that this team means anything to anybody in the real big bad world then you would be one of the ones that believed me when I told them I had a Canuck logo tattooed on my ass.

8-)

Who said anything about trading for Connor....we trade !7 & 23 and play the young inexperienced then we have a shot at 1st pick overall in 2015. No tanking needed. Let corporate nature take it's course.

I mean, can the Sabres & Oilers be THAT bad again?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

The Brown Knight wrote:The only flaw in this model, is that I can't see Kesler or even Edler waiving to go to one of the worst teams in the league.
Not so sure that's the only flaw.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

McDavid isn't the only good thing about the 2015 Draft Class, it's got a few kids with elite star potential. That BC kid - Barzal and that American - Eichel to name a couple could be just as good as McDavid.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Trading away players to get draft picks in 2015 is a risky venture. You never know where those teams will end up. If the end goal is to grab a McDavid you may be burnt badly. It isn't even a sure thing anymore if you tank. The only thin that makes sense for us moving forward is to

1). Stay the course and hope you have the players in the system to begin to step in and step up. Hope that this injury plagued year is an anomaly and everyone returns to camp healthy and hope this off year offensive blight gets self corrected somehow.

OR

2). Trade a core player or two for young roster players, prospects and picks. The combination is the key. Get roster players back that can fill roles, young prospects that have promise and picks to stockpile.

A wholesale house cleaning isn't the answer and tanking is just madness.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ok what drafting spot do we hope to get?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

SKYO wrote:ok what drafting spot do we hope to get?
We've got an outside shot at #6, Car, Nash, and Ott have games in hand. If they all pass, could be 6, and also a slightly improved chance in the lottery for #1.

I realize they did not tank intentionally tonight, but man if anyone wanted to make that accusation, you could. Amazing meltdown. That was mid-1980s era levels of incompetence, but at least back then we didn't have any expectations of success and just waited for Gretzky and co to ragdoll us and call it a season.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

3rd

Any one what to bet? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Arachnid wrote:
3rd

Any one what to bet? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wow, Weise/Diaz for third overall and a 5th round pic.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.