Rock Bottom GDT: Canucks vs Flames - 19:00PST - HNIC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Rock Bottom GDT: Canucks vs Flames - 19:00PST - HNIC

Post by Per »

Weber and Archibald, eh? :wow:

What is this, tertiary scoring? :look:

Well, as long as we win. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

As a Canucks fan, i'm feeling 15 years younger, that's a good sign. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote:Weber and Archibald, eh? :wow:

I think it's more like quinary scoring with those 2.....
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I have a few things to say about Torts that I've been thinking about.

I remember watching the 24/7 show and more than once Babcock told his guys to stop hanging their head, it's bad body language. Lack said he looked over to the bench and saw Torts face palming after he let that one in. I know it was a bad goal but that's when you need your leaders to show that you have the confidence to get that one back for your goalie, especially a rookie that just unexpectedly got the #1 job.

When this team was killing it in December Torts kept saying he's still not happy, I wonder how he feels now?

I remember AV saying there's guys that will play better when you ream them out, and there's guys that you need to take aside and calmly tell them about a bad play and what you want out of them. Edler is not one of those guys that you can ream out IMO.

Edler's confidence is clearly at an all time low, the coaching staff should be working double time to build him back up.

Finally, what a nightmare game by Higgins. I counted 3 different rushes where the puck completely died on his stick, and not just died, he left it behind for brutal turnovers. That's not even mentioning his brain fart penalties at the end of the game that nearly cost us a win. This team could be fragile even when it was winning, but this is absolutely crazy what I'm seeing right now.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Benjo wrote: I remember AV saying there's guys that will play better when you ream them out, and there's guys that you need to take aside and calmly tell them about a bad play and what you want out of them. Edler is not one of those guys that you can ream out IMO.

Edler's confidence is clearly at an all time low, the coaching staff should be working double time to build him back up.
Edler can just get the fuck out. Gillis should have traded Edler before his NTC kicked in.

I never saw Vigneault reaming Edler out for a mistake. I never saw Edler getting talked to quietly at the bench. I never saw Edler get benched. I never so much as saw Edler get even a few minutes cut in a game.

So Edler was an inconsistent, fragile, fuck up under a coach who tried to bring him along with patience and a soft touch. Now Edler is an even worse fuck up under a coach who won't tolerate his continual screw-ups and calls him out for it.....but really has yet to reduce his ice time, I'm hoping that's because of the number of injuries we've sustained to the blueline. With a healthy defensive corps I hope Torts staples Edlers ass to the bench a few times.

I've often felt that some of the problems this team has seemed to exhibit can been traced to some players being touted as important and key players but not being held to the same standard. A guy like Kesler, who gives his all at every turn, is a much better person anyone could imagine if watching Edler continually screw up and not get held accountable doesn't bother him. Especially when other guys who play harder, get called to task and find their minutes reduced during a game over similar mistakes.

I get the impression that Torts holds everyone to the same standard and treats them all the same. That is good for a team no matter how you spin it.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Per wrote:Weber and Archibald, eh? :wow:

Yeah, pretty sad when u think about it. The last win we had was against St. Louis and it was a goal by Hansen from Sestito. So basically when we win, it's the tertiary guys/plumbers that are delivering on offense. WE are getting absolutely NOTHING from Hank, Kes, Burr, Boothy and Higgy when we win or lose. :(
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

How did Jensen look? I didn't catch the game, but saw in the highlights that he hit a crossbar. Torts seemed pretty pleased with his play in the post game presser.

I loved the Markstrom interview. He seems like an intelligent, mature guy with an easy going personality. I'm pretty excited about Markstrom and Lack myself.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Jensen was ok. Not spectacular, no big mistakes and not overly cautious. He looked enthused, played aggressively. What you would expect from a kid called up and trying to make an impression.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:Jensen was ok. Not spectacular, no big mistakes and not overly cautious. He looked enthused, played aggressively. What you would expect from a kid called up and trying to make an impression.
Any hope as a NHL top six forward?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:
Topper wrote:Jensen was ok. Not spectacular, no big mistakes and not overly cautious. He looked enthused, played aggressively. What you would expect from a kid called up and trying to make an impression.
Any hope as a NHL top six forward?
From one game? It is a shame he was not called up earlier or GMMG would have had a choice of Crosby, Malkin and three first round picks from the Pens or Getzlaf, Perry, three first round picks and four second round picks from the Ducks. A clear indication of what a mess the Canuck management is right now.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ LOL you are on a roll lately Tops.

I'm glad to hear Jensen didn't look absolutely terrible in this one game. Being a Canucks prospect I half expected him to either get seriously injured in the pre-game warmup or score on Lack somehow.