Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by ClamRussel »

Arachnid wrote:Yeah! Hemsky with 4 assists to power the Sens past the Canucks in the standings!
LoL, even the Flames pulled off a comeback last night in the 3rd w/ a trio of unanswered tallies and are coming on strong. Now if the Oil & Sabres could just get it together!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ClamRussel wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Yeah! Hemsky with 4 assists to power the Sens past the Canucks in the standings!
LoL, even the Flames pulled off a comeback last night in the 3rd w/ a trio of unanswered tallies and are coming on strong. Now if the Oil & Sabres could just get it together!
Fucking Carolina....are they tanking better than us?

We could actually get 3rd pick if the cOilers, Phlems get hot.

I never understood how the bottom feeders start winning at the end of the season. I know other teams rest their vets for the playoffs but it's just plain stupid imho.
You don't have to tank on purpose, everyone knows that. Just tank naturally.

Anything is....uncivilized 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I guess some didn't get the memo about tanking; watch us finish 9th in the conference, the most pointless place in the standings, no playoffs, no top pick...damn, this team doesn't even know how to lose properly; give it up already.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

[quote="Boston Canucker"]I guess some didn't get the memo about tanking; watch us finish 9th in the conference, the most pointless place in the standings, no playoffs, no top pick...damn, this team doesn't even know how to lose properly; give it up already.[/quote/]

Yeah it's a little bewildering to see posters get all aroused about winning a garbage game over the Flames!? Our number one goal now is to try to set ourselves up for a decent draft pick. Naturally the team, coach, and management isn't going to say as much, but it doesn't mean we can't. So for shit sakes, enough with the dialogue and hopefulness about trying to win right now. The best thing that could happen is that we maintain our slump, set ourselves up for a decent draft pick, and then 're-set' for next season. Here, let me spell it out for some of yas: Winning = bad. losing = good.
cc oldtimer
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Unless you're getting a sure generational talent such as Connor McDavid or Nathan MacKinnon, most drafts are a fairly close to being a crapshoot.

All tanking does is make the franchise look bad while hurting the morale of the players.

Canucks should do whatever they can to make the playoffs, and then let the chips fall accordingly, and pick the best player that is available (I think one thing that hurts Gillis is that he'll often try and draft for a particular positions or particular need rather than just keeping things simple and picking the best guy available. The "K.I.S.S." Formula is often the best approach to take in the draft IMO.).

The Flyers landed Claude Giroux in the late first round not too long ago. The Wings and Devils used to make a living off of later round picks.

What does that tell you?
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

The Brown Knight wrote:Unless you're getting a sure generational talent such as Connor McDavid or Nathan MacKinnon, most drafts are a fairly close to being a crapshoot.

All tanking does is make the franchise look bad while hurting the morale of the players.

Canucks should do whatever they can to make the playoffs, and then let the chips fall accordingly, and pick the best player that is available (I think one thing that hurts Gillis is that he'll often try and draft for a particular positions or particular need rather than just keeping things simple and picking the best guy available. The "K.I.S.S." Formula is often the best approach to take in the draft IMO.).

The Flyers landed Claude Giroux in the late first round not too long ago. The Wings and Devils used to make a living off of later round picks.

What does that tell you?
It tells me that you have a lot to say about everything, and your view is JUST your view.
cc oldtimer
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

I agree it's a crapshoot, but it becomes more of a crapshoot the later in the draft you get. You certainly get top 5 busts, but many more who don't make it in the 15-30 range.

I say tank for two reasons. 1) I am not just being a cynical Canuck fan (anyone who has seen me post over the years will know I'm actually not pessimistic usually) when I say that I really don't think they will make the playoffs. Selfishly, in the short term, I'll always want to watch the Canucks in the playoffs. But really, they just squeaked by a terrible CGY team last night and Dallas is playing darn well holding the 8 spot. I really don't see it. and thus 2) Since I think we're missing anyway, let's not grab the useless 9th spot (the honorary position of the go nowhere Flames for years), let's see how low we can go. It's all a lottery now anyway, so let's get a few more chips on the table for the #1 pick. And yes, I'd rather take my chances in the crapshoot with say the 6th, 7th, or 8th pick than with the 12th, 13th, or 14th, easy call.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

nuckster wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:Unless you're getting a sure generational talent such as Connor McDavid or Nathan MacKinnon, most drafts are a fairly close to being a crapshoot.

What does that tell you?
It tells me that you have a lot to say about everything, and your view is JUST your view.
I never said my view was gospel.

My apologies for driving up your levels of estrogen.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Boston Canucker wrote:I agree it's a crapshoot, but it becomes more of a crapshoot the later in the draft you get. You certainly get top 5 busts, but many more who don't make it in the 15-30 range.

I say tank for two reasons. 1) I am not just being a cynical Canuck fan (anyone who has seen me post over the years will know I'm actually not pessimistic usually) when I say that I really don't think they will make the playoffs. Selfishly, in the short term, I'll always want to watch the Canucks in the playoffs. But really, they just squeaked by a terrible CGY team last night and Dallas is playing darn well holding the 8 spot. I really don't see it. and thus 2) Since I think we're missing anyway, let's not grab the useless 9th spot (the honorary position of the go nowhere Flames for years), let's see how low we can go. It's all a lottery now anyway, so let's get a few more chips on the table for the #1 pick. And yes, I'd rather take my chances in the crapshoot with say the 6th, 7th, or 8th pick than with the 12th, 13th, or 14th, easy call.
fair enough.

As far as Calgary goes, a win is a win. Period. It's a building block to garner confidence.

I think they should try and make the playoffs and try and do as well as they can.

On draft day, if there is someone they are creaming their pants over, they can execute a trade. We did it last year with Schneider/Horvat, so we could probably do the same this year.

The Dark Indian Rises
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Really not worried about trying to tank, this team is 2nd last in goals for and has the worst record in the league since January 1st. They don't need to try and suck because they will naturally.

I assume a pick somewhere between 7-10 which likely means one of Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen, Perlini or Nylander. Give me Virtanen or Ritchie if I had a choice, big and mean guys who can skate and score are impossible to find.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

fair enough.

As far as Calgary goes, a win is a win. Period. It's a building block to garner confidence.

I think they should try and make the playoffs and try and do as well as they can.

On draft day, if there is someone they are creaming their pants over, they can execute a trade. We did it last year with Schneider/Horvat, so we could probably do the same this year
God, I hope we don't follow that model. I'd rather tank than give up our #1 goalie for the 9th pick. Why trade talent when we can get that pick for nothing? We got boned on the Schneider deal cause our GM couldn't read the tea leaves in time...now I'm even more for tanking.

It seems like Henrik might still be injured, so let him rest for the next two weeks...Bieksa too...play some kids, give them experience. I'm not saying do a 5-8 year tank like the Oilers, but we're already sliding down the hill this year, no use putting on the breaks.
Last edited by Boston Canucker on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Diehard1 wrote:Really not worried about trying to tank, this team is 2nd last in goals for and has the worst record in the league since January 1st. They don't need to try and suck because they will naturally.
Good point, and I don't mean to imply the tank would be intentional. They'll play hard, or they won't, for their own reasons. They're bad enough that no one would accuse them of tanking anyway, the ship be sinking. It's more about what I'm rooting for. The GM says we're going young anyway, so let's go...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Boston Canucker wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Really not worried about trying to tank, this team is 2nd last in goals for and has the worst record in the league since January 1st. They don't need to try and suck because they will naturally.
Good point, and I don't mean to imply the tank would be intentional. They'll play hard, or they won't, for their own reasons. They're bad enough that no one would accuse them of tanking anyway, the ship be sinking. It's more about what I'm rooting for. The GM says we're going young anyway, so let's go...
I don't think any team worth anything in this league would intentionally tank. That would be like cowardly doing something on these boards just to get banned. :lol:

Some get their panties in a knot at mere mention of tanking it
No one would ever suggest it here. Not seriously anyways. But we sure as hell can cheer for it. I get more pissed if we win at this point. Most do. What is the point? To salvage a season and have .009876% chance of winning the Cup?

:crazy:

Looking forward....

We have too many damn scoring Centres! We have to get rid of a couple of them.

Bo Horvat
Hunter Shinkaruk
Brendan Gaunce
Jordan Schroeder
Cole Cassels
Dane Fox

I know not all of them will make it to The Show but other teams think they will.
Package Edler, Kesler a couple of these beauts, our top 10 pick this year for a shot at McDavid next year....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Learning in Lowe places Spidey?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Arachnid wrote:We have too many damn scoring Centres! We have to get rid of a couple of them.
Agreed.
Package Edler, Kesler a couple of these beauts, our top 10 pick this year for a shot at McDavid next year....
*way* too risky.

The idea isn't too bad actually but what happens if you don't land the number 1 pick?

The only way I'd package Edler, Kesler, our Top 10 pick, and a few of the centers listed, is if we know we'd be getting the first overall pick (and getting McDavid). There's just no way of guaranteeing that though.

Trade Kesler and Edler in legit hockey deals.

p.s._______Having McDavid and Horvat as our #1 and #2 centers in the future would be effing sick though.

p.p.s______Not a bad idea at all though. Depending on how deep this draft is, Canucks could end up getting a future franchise center even if it isn't Connor McJesus. Still - Can anyone see Kesler waiving to go to a team like Buffalo or Calgary? I can't.

The Dark Indian Rises