Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by dbr »

Lancer wrote:They wre doing fine because they were lined up with Kesler - who was still producing even after he left that line. If you want Torts to put all his eggs in one basket and play them half the game while the rest of the lines try and not get scored on, don't be surprised if we keep seeing seasons like this one.

If, however, you would like to spread the offence and ice time beyond what can be addressed by the opposition's top checking players - and thus have a snowball's chance of doing better in the standings - perhaps having Hank and Kes centre different would be a better idea. In that scenario, having a winger who has proven to make the twins a potent lines would be something beyond a good idea.
I guess what I was responding to was the perceived (right or wrong) notion that Burrows is the only player who can score with the Sedins, like it's some kind of intangible quality no other player has.

Through December they were doing just fine in terms of goal differential, puck possession etc. and as I said they put up offense just fine without Burrows in October; if we have a couple of guys who can at worst do well in terms of possession against top six opponents, I am fairly sure you could put a lot of guys who can finish on their wing and get some offense out of them.

If that's Burrows fine but if his production doesn't turn around in a big way he's going to hurt the Sedins more than he helps them.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hank wrote: Tort's is right about Kes as a winger. Offensively he is a better winger than a center. However this team is so lacking in depth, it would never make sense to load up the top line because everyone else would have to punch a class or two above their weight... and would get raped night after night. This is pretty much happening right now as Hansen and Higgins is filling in for top-6 forwards who just haven't got it done at all this season. Don't even get me started on Tort's unwillingness to even try Kassian for a few games...
LMAO at Hansen and Higgins filling in for top-6 forwards who just haven't got it done...

We only have 4 legitimate top 6 forwards. Hank, Dank, Kes, and Bur. Hank and Dank are/were playing terrible hockey and I don't think they ever recover. Kes is playing strong and carrying a lot more than his stats are showing. Burrows is playing like a slumping 3rd line scrub right now. All of the effort, none of the results.

Gillis needed to trade Edler for a legitimate top-6 scoring winger before last July. He didn't do it. Instead he extended him with a big raise.

Time to let the kids play.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Mëds, I agree with you. Perhaps I didn't word it well...

Higgins & Hansen are FORCED into top-6 scoring roles, they are having to play minutes and perform where they are not suited for.

If the forwards that are slotted/paid to be top-6 were playing up to snuff (ie. Booth, Burrows, Dank and maybe Kassian), then role players wouldn't have to fill positions they are not good at... like the onus of generating consistent offence and finishing chances.

Edler absolutely needs to be traded for a scoring forward (however, I hear he is unwilling to waive the NTC that he just got), Booth needs to be bought out and hopefully the rumors are true... NYR might want Burrows to replace some of the things that Callahan did.

...and yes, Henrik & Daniel needs to play much better.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote:Mëds, I agree with you. Perhaps I didn't word it well...

Higgins & Hansen are FORCED into top-6 scoring roles, they are having to play minutes and perform where they are not suited for.

If the forwards that are slotted/paid to be top-6 were playing up to snuff (ie. Booth, Burrows, Dank and maybe Kassian), then role players wouldn't have to fill positions they are not good at... like the onus of generating consistent offence and finishing chances.

Edler absolutely needs to be traded for a scoring forward (however, I hear he is unwilling to waive the NTC that he just got), Booth needs to be bought out and hopefully the rumors are true... NYR might want Burrows to replace some of the things that Callahan did.

...and yes, Henrik & Daniel needs to play much better.
Just had lunch with some friends. Nothing I say here comes directly from the players involved, but allegedly, from other players on the team. So third hand rumour.

Someone on Canucks management, not MG cause he would never ask a player to waive a NTC :blush: :sly: :scowl: :sly: , approached several players with NTC to see if they would contemplate waiving their NTC at the deadline if the Canucks got a deal they liked. Bieksa and Hamhuis said no. Burrows said no, maybe for Montreal but not mid season. Kesler and Edler said yes, but not an absolute yes. They said yes, they would contemplate waiving if they were asked. None of the players were asked to submit a list of teams. None of the players were asked to waive. The sense I got was the Canucks were simply exploring the possibility of seeing if any of these guys would waive. None of the players asked to be traded. Kesler was more vocal about his willingness to move but would not consider a non playoff team. Never ruled out a Canadian team. Never said no to NYR, as he wasn't asked for a list. Was concerned about going to a hated rival and the potential impact that may have on his endorsements he has here, but never ruled anyone out. Was vocal about loving to play with high calibre players at an elite level, I take that to mean he love his line mates at the Olympics.

This allowed MG to explore trade possibilities and he knew who among his players would contemplate a move. No one was approached on deadline day about waiving which certainly supports that MG never got an offer he was contemplating accepting.

Kesler was very relieved at the end of the day but he is concerned, after watching what Luongo went through, that this will take on a life of its own. He has not ruled out an extension when the time is right. His one and only focus is being on a winning team. But he will not stand in the way of a trade if that is the direction the team wants to go in. He will exercise his right to go to a destination of his choice if it comes to that. Has not been told what the Canucks intentions are after the season.

From what I gather, MG was telling the truth, he never asked any players to waive. Very Clintonish of him. Someone on the Canucks broached the subject. Kesler being brash and out spoken probably had a lot to say off the record out drinking with the guys. Perhaps he started having visions of playing with Kane or Crosby and began to like the thought. Who knows.

From what I gather the dressing room is deflated but not fractured. The players themselves are at a complete loss to try and explain this season. But they also see they they need change. So far they all want to be part of that change but we know some would waive under the right circumstances.

I think in the absence of a great offer MG did the right thing in not moving players out yesterday. But I think we will see at least one of the core moved this summer.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yup this team lives and dies with the Sedins, when they are both healthy and scoring this team was gunning for the playoffs, as they got hurt this team faltered.

It's a one line team of the Sedins and Kesler on 2nd.

Hank still hurt, Danny out, Kesler wants out, team is fucking shitty now.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:
From what I gather, MG was telling the truth, he never asked any players to waive. Very Clintonish of him. Someone on the Canucks broached the subject. Kesler being brash and out spoken probably had a lot to say off the record out drinking with the guys. Perhaps he started having visions of playing with Kane or Crosby and began to like the thought. Who knows.
Hard to believe that any of the core would want to stick around after this season, let alone Kesler.

Kesler has absolutely nobody to play with. Henrik Sedin has disappeared off the face of the earth. He is MIA right now. Burr is in his own little world being a 4th line plug. Higgins is a border line 2nd liner. There is absolutely NOBODY making plays right now.

Waive NTC? The way this team is playing, you're going to have a line up of players wanting to waive their NTC just to get the fuck outta dodge.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

mathonwy wrote:Image
*haha* At least there was like ZERO chance we were going to call him up to this sinking ship anyways. Let him recover from his injury, work hard in the off season and maybe he can push for a spot next season.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

These assholes take such glee in this shit. I've never understood the hate and never will. I get rivalry and all but the glaring hate and delight.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:These assholes take such glee in this shit. I've never understood the hate and never will. I get rivalry and all but the glaring hate and delight.
All the other major cities in Canada are freezing their tits off for 7 months of the year? I dunno, but the media and interwebs are absolutely over-the-moon over the Canucks' struggles.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:These assholes take such glee in this shit. I've never understood the hate and never will. I get rivalry and all but the glaring hate and delight.
Wotta cox sucker :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A number of GMs are saying that the Kesler situation held everything up on deadline day and contributed to the late trading of Moulson and Vanek, as well as impacted their return. Seems a few teams thought they were in the Kesler sweeps right up until the end and then were caught with little or no time left to go to plan B. Pittsburg went to plan B and got Goc and Stempnak but Anaheim got nada. BB was left holding cammy.

Rumours are that Boston had a deal worked out for Edler but it was dependent upon Canucks moving Kesler. Boston ended up having to take Mezzaros. Anaheim apparently offered up any of its draft picks and a couple of prospects but refused to offer up a roster player, for Kesler. They ran out of time to try and land anyone else they had targeted.

So it seems having Kesler on the market allowed MG to significantly effect the day :mrgreen:

Hard to know if he just got goal panic or if the offers weren't there. But it sounds like he got something from Boston he liked, just couldn't get gold for Kesler.

Although it does seem that the GMs that are talking have all left the door open to revisit this once the season is over. Sounds like management knows who they need to move and have a good sense what they need back. Could be a good off season.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Anaheim apparently offered up any of its draft picks and a couple of prospects but refused to offer up a roster player, for Kesler. They ran out of time to try and land anyone else they had targeted.

So it seems having Kesler on the market allowed MG to significantly effect the day :mrgreen:
Yeah - good luck with that shitty offer Anaheim...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

This summer can be the most important in franchise history.

Trade possibilities, buy out(s), CAP space already lined up, FA acquisitions, & the young guns.

A chance to bounce back from the nadir.

It will show what Gillis is made of.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Jensen called up from Utica...more please
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….