How to fix the Canucks defense?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: How to fix the Canucks defense?

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: And of course he's got a NTC. OF COURSE@#*"HY TP*ISYFO*S"GSKDGBFIWGE"ITHOEH FSND
Okay, now I'm confused. :lol:
mathonwy wrote: His beard is a beauty though.
He's also great in the community, winning isn't everything.
That's what losers say to make themselves better.

:lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: That's what losers say to make themselves better.

:lol:
It's also... the kind of thing folks who are trying to push bedwetters over the edge... say. :wink:

Work with me here.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mathonwy wrote:I'm really not sold on Garrison.

His entire game is quite average except for his shot. His hitting is below-average, his skating is average, his passing is sometimes average sometimes shitty, his defensive coverage is above average, his asshole factor is non-existent, his shot is hard but not accurate.

And of course he's got a NTC. OF COURSE@#*"HY TP*ISYFO*S"GSKDGBFIWGE"ITHOEH FSND

--

His beard is a beauty though.

Bed pisser alert! Someone saying mean things about Garrison

It will take the denial crew here about the same amount of time to realize that Garrison is a waste of fucking money as it it did for them to realize that Ballard was unless your Mëds who blames AV for Bàllards shortcomings
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I agree, everybody should just ignore the first 40 games or so where Garrison was our best defender.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
mathonwy wrote:I'm really not sold on Garrison.

His entire game is quite average except for his shot. His hitting is below-average, his skating is average, his passing is sometimes average sometimes shitty, his defensive coverage is above average, his asshole factor is non-existent, his shot is hard but not accurate.

And of course he's got a NTC. OF COURSE@#*"HY TP*ISYFO*S"GSKDGBFIWGE"ITHOEH FSND

--

His beard is a beauty though.

Bed pisser alert! Someone saying mean things about Garrison

It will take the denial crew here about the same amount of time to realize that Garrison is a waste of fucking money as it it did for them to realize that Ballard was unless your Mëds who blames AV for Bàllards shortcomings
Do you even watch hockey? Or do you just check the final scores while sitting there with a voodoo doll of MG and then piss all over the place in a rage and point the finger at every player acquired by Mike Gillis via trade, UFA signing, or draft?

The ENTIRE TEAM is shitting the bed.....well except for maybe 6 guys. Half of the players who are actually getting it done are players that GMMG brought in.

The Sedins are SHIT right now. Burrows is currently garbage. Edler is consistently fucking up. Hansen is way off his game. 5 core players who you continually credit to previous management.....
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Sorry Mëds, I should be slagging your nemesis - Edler instead of your boi - Garrison.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

How 'bout that Stanton, 3 game point streak and playing pretty solid defensively, terrific waiver pickup.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Paging:

Bieksa
Edler
Garrison

you're paid to score.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Trade Edler. He's on pace for like -40, he's been tragic.

Sign a shot-blocking, crease-clearing Brooks Orpik / Willie Mitchell type. Another Tanev, except with some muscles. Someone that knows the meaning of "safe" hockey.

Defence isn't our problem, it's our defenders playing like fucking retards and thinking they're Bobby Orr. I think a $5M forward instead of a $5M brain-fart in Edler would go a long way.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I wish I had been counting the number of times last night that Edler got the puck at the point cleanly and then he either bobbled it himself or wound up to shoot and waited too long and then passed off as the defender was pressing. In either case it killed any chance we may have had. I'm pretty sure it was more than 10 times. I don't even know why he hesitates to shoot, the guy has a hammer of a shot, and it's not like we really have much of a net presence to begin with, so he can't be worried about hitting his own teammate.....can he?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: it's not like we really have much of a net presence to begin with, so he can't be worried about hitting his own teammate.....can he?
No... there's barely any NHL-calibre players to hit at this point.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

SKYO wrote:Way too many left side dmen, NTC's galore.

Lacking a right side offensive whiz quarterback dman.

Left D - Right D

Edler ($5M NTC) Bieksa ($4.6M Full NTC)
Hamhuis ($4.5M NTC) Tanev ($1.5M) I expect he'll get around $3.5M per next contract.
Garrison ($4.5M NTC) Weber ($650K) RFA I expect he'll get around $700K per next contract.
Stanton ($550K)
Alberts ($600K) UFA 2014

As much as I love Edler on this team, thanks to Gillis signing the cannon leftside Garrison it kind of forces Edler out of this team imo.

Tanev is the easiest to move at this point as he has a affordable contract, is steadily getting better and is a top 4 right side dman, but he's due for a big raise this summer.

The majority of our dmen our two way mobile dmen, with Hamhuis and Tanev our only pure defensive dmen.

I'd say we re-sign Stanton asap when the team legally can I believe this summer, a $2M per - 4 year type.

My solution:

Trade Edler and/or Tanev and try to get a right side QB dman + top 6 scorer.
This is an excellent overall post SKYO.

I think the biggest thing that I'd like to see changed is us getting bigger back there. I love Strangelove's idea of acquiring a guy like Luke Schenn. Even if a guy like Schenn isn't the greatest defenseman in the world, he's tough as fuck. He can be our version of Boston's Adam McQuaid.

I'm kind of wondering if it would be in the Canucks' best interests to move both Tanev and Corrado at some point? (and in return, get a big badass back there). As talented as Tanev and Corrado are, I'm just wondering if it would be in our best interests to move them so that we aren't so small on the back end?

Another idea
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

An interesting quote from D. Sutter via the Edmonton Journel and NOH: http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthrea ... ion-hockey
Sutter says the Kings’ seemingly defend-first game is a “misconception. The big thing in today’s game is you have to be able to forecheck and backcheck, and you have to have the puck. You can’t give the puck up. We don’t play in our zone, so there’s not much defending."

Also: “I’ve coached in three decades now and this stuff where they said Marian had to play in Jacques’s system is a bunch of bull-crap. The game’s changed. They think there’s defending in today’s game. Nah, it’s how much you have the puck. Teams that play around in their own zone think they’re defending but they’re generally getting scored on or taking face-offs and they need a goalie to stand on his head if that’s the way they play."
It sounds similar to what Torts is TRYING to accomplish but either doesn't have the horses and/or the buy in. One thing I notice about this current edition of the team is their puck possession is awful, always giving the puck back to opposition. I noticed when Mathias came over he was skating with the puck and trying to create plays, not just chip and chase. To me there is a big difference between trying to dump the puck In and chase it down versus being aggressive and pressuring the other team. Our guys do way too much of the former in the name of "creating a forecheck".
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

$lacker wrote:An interesting quote from D. Sutter via the Edmonton Journel and NOH: http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthrea ... ion-hockey
Sutter says the Kings’ seemingly defend-first game is a “misconception. The big thing in today’s game is you have to be able to forecheck and backcheck, and you have to have the puck. You can’t give the puck up. We don’t play in our zone, so there’s not much defending."

Also: “I’ve coached in three decades now and this stuff where they said Marian had to play in Jacques’s system is a bunch of bull-crap. The game’s changed. They think there’s defending in today’s game. Nah, it’s how much you have the puck. Teams that play around in their own zone think they’re defending but they’re generally getting scored on or taking face-offs and they need a goalie to stand on his head if that’s the way they play."
It sounds similar to what Torts is TRYING to accomplish but either doesn't have the horses and/or the buy in. One thing I notice about this current edition of the team is their puck possession is awful, always giving the puck back to opposition. I noticed when Mathias came over he was skating with the puck and trying to create plays, not just chip and chase. To me there is a big difference between trying to dump the puck In and chase it down versus being aggressive and pressuring the other team. Our guys do way too much of the former in the name of "creating a forecheck".
Sutter's quote is bang on.

Torts is trying to implement that system in Vancouver, but our team isn't big or fast enough.

We need to bring in players that can play that system.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

$lacker wrote:An interesting quote from D. Sutter via the Edmonton Journel and NOH: http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthrea ... ion-hockey

Nice observation, another reason why Torts should be let go.
Just looking at Bieksa's NTC/signing, there was a quote by MG.
General manager Gillis said keeping the defensive pair of Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis together played a role in the signing.

"We felt he and Dan were a really solid pair for us," said Gillis. "They have an opportunity now to play together for a long time and we consider those guys key players here so it was very important."
What was interesting is that Torts didn't like this pairing which was a bit confusing as they had some amazing chemistry under AV.

The only D pair I don't like and they never will be good together is another NTC defensive pair in Edler - Garrison they together have horrible puck possession, this offseason hopefully someone will inform our new GM that Edler and Garrison have played their best hockey when they were on the left side with a highly skilled, right side puck rusher who can make some good plays and passes. (Edler - Ehrhoff or Olympics (Karlsson), and one of the better combos Garrison - Campbell)

These NTC's are going to be a pain to deal with, with all these changes that need to be made to get this team quickly back to respectability.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.