Mike Gillis' future

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mike Gillis' future

Gillis should and will be back next year
41%
Gillis shouldnt be back next year but he will be
18%
Gillis should be back but wont be
No votes
Gillis shouldnt and wont be back next year
41%

Total votes: 22

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Mike Gillis' future

Post by black ace »

What do you guys think ?
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Mike Gillis' future

Post by black ace »

I actually think he will be back and probably should be given the oportunity to clean up this mess. On the other hand his track record in trades isint great so maybe someone else would be better if we are going to rebuild or retool.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Well I have to..based on recent events now wait till the summer...sorry
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With all of my back and forth on this issue I'll go back to my preseason position. He will be back and he should be. He should get one last chance to re-tool, re-build or whatever. This is the first time since he took over that we are this bad. Last chance next season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It is kinda knee jerk to fire the guy but there are some moves he has to answer for. If you can get a guy like Hextall here and break him off I'm all for it but he shouldn't be fired unless you have a high end candidate to replace him with.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:With all of my back and forth on this issue I'll go back to my preseason position. He will be back and he should be. He should get one last chance to re-tool, re-build or whatever. This is the first time since he took over that we are this bad. Last chance next season.
HW, you trust Mike Gillis to make the right moves for us this summer?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

mathonwy wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:With all of my back and forth on this issue I'll go back to my preseason position. He will be back and he should be. He should get one last chance to re-tool, re-build or whatever. This is the first time since he took over that we are this bad. Last chance next season.
HW, you trust Mike Gillis to make the right moves for us this summer?

I dunno. I dunno if we will see a lot of trades this summer. All I know is something is broken and it needs fixing. I think it would be hard to get a different GM to work with the water boy.

I just have little emotion left for this team, but now that we are were where we are I will be cheering for them to go on a run and make the playoffs. I can't be negative for too long or I will stop watching hockey altogether so ya, I gotta believe in green.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:
I dunno. I dunno if we will see a lot of trades this summer. All I know is something is broken and it needs fixing. I think it would be hard to get a different GM to work with the water boy.

I just have little emotion left for this team, but now that we are were welfare I will be cheering for them to go on a run and make the playoffs. I can't be negative for too long or I will stop watching hockey altogether so ya, I gotta believe in green.
Fair enough. Honest question, honest answer.

It's tough to remain optimistic in the face of such overwhelming negativity.

That's why I need ratski to pull me out the doldrums in the GDT from time to time.

:mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:

I dunno. I dunno if we will see a lot of trades this summer. All I know is something is broken and it needs fixing.

Aaaand......... the players on the team aren't good enough to suddenly turn it around and fix it. If Eye Bags doesn't have the balls to make some moves he should be gone next month. No god damned way he can sell the same group to the fans next season let alone the Italians.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

How many last chances does this guy get? He didn't fix our offensive problems from the 2011 playoffs going into 2012. We flopped. He had a chance to fix that going into 2013. He didn't. We flopped. He had a chance to fix the teams problems going into this season. He didn't. We flopped. How many chances does he get?

Gillis does not deserve to be back. He has screwed this team beyond repair. It's going to be a long time before we are competitive again. He hands out franchise crippling contracts to the Sedins so now we're stuck with them. He dumps Luongo for a sack of crap. He still hasn't addressed our offense. Our prospect cupboards are still extremely bare. What has he accomplished?
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I think they should hire me, i could not be any worse.

Wow for maybe the 2nd time in the past 10 years I see a bleak future for the Nucks unless the right decisions are made in the next 6months. Some major decisions between now and the start of the camp next season, from a new GM, coach and players. Or go with the same???
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol @ Paused. Luongo was only ever going to fetch back crap ..... at any time. Gillis should have handled it better but wtf. You make it sound like Roberto had value with that millstone contract.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Given what has been rumoured before - including what Botch just put in his blog - I wonder if Gillis is not now in an impossibly untenable position.

He evidently has a meddlesome owner; it appears his own GM peers are trying to fleece him blind and don't seem to respect him; he's alienating that core who he supported with NTCs and the like; and the team is now swirling down the sewer this season.

It's not that I dislike the guy, and I do believe he is quite a competent GM - the record overall under his watch speaks for itself regardless of who got what asset before or after he got here. I just think he is in an impossible situation and could not be able to do what needs to be done with this team - assuming he knew what had to be done and had the guts to do it.

Botch speculates whether Gillis will resign before anyone has a chance to fire him. I wouldn't bet against it and wouldn't blame him if he did. Evidently, his hands are tied - beyond the NTCs he handed out, etc. - and maybe the Kesler fiasco is the last straw.

If he stays, I hope he has more latitude to do what has to be done but given direction that change must happen. I don't see either being the case this spring.

If he goes, I hope he goes soon so the replacement will have time to plot the course before the draft, if Aquaman hasn't already done so.

The question is: Who could replace him who could do a better job, given the owner and the field of candidates?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fuck you fucking pitchforkers. Image

The vast majority here were very happy with Gillis until two months ago.

Basically folks are turning on him because the team has been sucking... FOR TWO MONTHS!!!

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, maybe Lou had become a cancer and it's all good now.

NOT SAYING LOU WAS A CANCER, just saying we have limited info and it's way too soon.

Besides, if Aquaman was too cheap to buyout Lou, he's too cheap to can Mike.

Four years left on his contract...
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm not sure I buy that the Canucks couldn't get a worthwhile offer for Kesler because. Gillis isn't an old boy, or doesn't have clout or what have you.

Look at the prices of players who moved today. Look how few players with term left on their deals moved. Think of how likely it is that Kesler (who swears up and down he doesn't want a trade) is going to waive for a Canadian team, or a non-playoff team; no NYR either. Think about how many teams he might waive for can add a $5m salary and then take all of those teams and create a bidding war.. not going to happen.