Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Didn't mean to get into your grill. Penner can do this to you, make you believe
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4307
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Topper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:00 pm

mathonwy wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Dustin Penner for a 4th seems cheap.

For some strange reason, Penner just decided to stop playing half way through this season.

He started the season on fire playing with Getzlaf and Perry and then inexplicably stopped playing hard and started getting scratched.

The guy's got some serious mental issues. I'm surprised Anaheim got a 4th for him.

Penner has done this throughout his career. It is why he has moved from Edmonton to LA, Anaheim and now Washington.

How can anyone be surprised. OK, a good playoffs inflated his rep WooooooHoooooo
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Strangelove » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Topper wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Dustin Penner for a 4th seems cheap.

For some strange reason, Penner just decided to stop playing half way through this season.

He started the season on fire playing with Getzlaf and Perry and then inexplicably stopped playing hard and started getting scratched.

The guy's got some serious mental issues. I'm surprised Anaheim got a 4th for him.

Penner has done this throughout his career. It is why he has moved from Edmonton to LA, Anaheim and now Washington.

How can anyone be surprised. OK, a good playoffs inflated his rep WooooooHoooooo


I think the Ducks were trying to make a statement by trading him on National Pancake Day. :lol:

Penner was looking for a big payday as a UFA last summer, all he was offered was a 1 year deal at $2m.
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7080
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby TDA Rum » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:26 pm

I would like to see Jason Garrison traded to the Buffalo Sabres for Tyler Myers, similar contracts and i think both guys would do better with a change of scenery..
TDA Rum
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby okcanuck » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Tyler Myers is still young. Probably should have stayed in juniors 1 more year. Love to have him on the Canucks.
User avatar
okcanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Bestwank,BC

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Meds » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:10 pm

okcanuck wrote:Tyler Myers is still young. Probably should have stayed in juniors 1 more year. Love to have him on the Canucks.


24 years old, 6' 8" - 219lbs.....bean pole. Also rumored to be having nagging back problems. No thanks.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3155
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby SKYO » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:23 pm

reading this in the draft thread..

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:As soon as we have a coach who will give Kassian a legit shot on a top line we'll see his offence flourish. He's got a very decent shot and is already perhaps our best playmaker not named Hank. For that reason alone he'd work well w/ the Twins, create room for them, do the dirty work, cycle w/ them & protect them. He'd also do well w/ Kesler in he could BE the setup man 17 needs. Wingers who are setup men don't grow on trees and are invaluable for a shooter like Kesler. Down the road he could be laying the sauce for Shinkaruk or whoever we land at 6.


I agree that he's got all the tools, but I worry about his conditioning and mental make-up to play a top-6 role consistently. He was playing great in a depth role this year, and if that development continues he should be able to solidify a top-6 role. The biggest obstacle will be his conditioning and maintaining his awareness. If he can't keep the feet moving and the brain working at a high level for that 16-18 minutes/night he will be less effective.

He definitely should be on the PP, though.


Kassian is in good shape, however I agree having him in a 2nd or 3rd line role for now is beneficial for quality depth.

I'm all for swapping out Burrows and replacing him with a bigger, tougher winger who can still play top minutes and play well with the Sedins and to me that is Scott Hartnell.

My proposal:

Edler + Hansen for Hartnell + depth dman.

Then we can trade Burrows to the Habs for Josh Georges, as we need another good gritty defensive dman, our porous defense was way too sloppy this season.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:40 pm

I'm sure the Flyers would go for it, but with Hartnell having a NMC, I don't see it working. He did seem to have fun with the Sedins during their time at the All-Star game ("Suck it Phaneuf!"), and I'd much rather have him than Burrows, but his contract ($4.75M until 2018-19 when he's 37) and NMC probably prevent it.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Betamax » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:I'm sure the Flyers would go for it, but with Hartnell having a NMC, I don't see it working. He did seem to have fun with the Sedins during their time at the All-Star game ("Suck it Phaneuf!"), and I'd much rather have him than Burrows, but his contract ($4.75M until 2018-19 when he's 37) and NMC probably prevent it.


Don't like the idea of trading for an older player in his 30s for Edler. They have to get younger players/assets back. He was rumored to be going to the Bruins if the Kesler deal went through. Tampa might be another potential landing spot this off-season. Outside of Hedman, Carle (and the injured Salo), they have a no-name defense.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Betamax wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I'm sure the Flyers would go for it, but with Hartnell having a NMC, I don't see it working. He did seem to have fun with the Sedins during their time at the All-Star game ("Suck it Phaneuf!"), and I'd much rather have him than Burrows, but his contract ($4.75M until 2018-19 when he's 37) and NMC probably prevent it.


Don't like the idea of trading for an older player in his 30s for Edler. They have to get younger players/assets back. He was rumored to be going to the Bruins if the Kesler deal went through. Tampa might be another potential landing spot this off-season. Outside of Hedman, Carle (and the injured Salo), they have a no-name defense.



To Boston for the triplet!
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Betamax » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I'm sure the Flyers would go for it, but with Hartnell having a NMC, I don't see it working. He did seem to have fun with the Sedins during their time at the All-Star game ("Suck it Phaneuf!"), and I'd much rather have him than Burrows, but his contract ($4.75M until 2018-19 when he's 37) and NMC probably prevent it.


Don't like the idea of trading for an older player in his 30s for Edler. They have to get younger players/assets back. He was rumored to be going to the Bruins if the Kesler deal went through. Tampa might be another potential landing spot this off-season. Outside of Hedman, Carle (and the injured Salo), they have a no-name defense.



To Boston for the triplet!


Yeah, if Benning is indeed the new GM, you would think that trades between the two franchises would be easier to consummate vs. during the former GMMG era whom had a hard time pulling off any major deal in a timely matter.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Teams like Boston, Chicago, SJS, LA just seem to have the ability or willingness, or both, to not only recognize their cap situations and aging core, but to make the moves to effect change that keeps them elite. They are willing to let FA walk if need be and make trades. MG just never seemed to be able to pull the trigger.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Betamax » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:15 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Teams like Boston, Chicago, SJS, LA just seem to have the ability or willingness, or both, to not only recognize their cap situations and aging core, but to make the moves to effect change that keeps them elite. They are willing to let FA walk if need be and make trades. MG just never seemed to be able to pull the trigger.


Yeah, pretty much. Former GMMG downfall was not to make adjustments to ever evolving "landscape" but to put the blame on the onus on the changing "landscape" for why the team stagnated and regressed after being near the top of the mountain.

Trading a future franchise player with Seguin was a bold move. Nothing GMMG did under his tenure came close to that. Probably the "boldest" move in his tenure was that bizarre debacle of the handling the goalie situation and trading The Cory at the last minute after he put his team in a Canucks Corner to have to make a move of one of them that ultimately led him to trade both when all was said and done.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Jovocop » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:11 am

Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Teams like Boston, Chicago, SJS, LA just seem to have the ability or willingness, or both, to not only recognize their cap situations and aging core, but to make the moves to effect change that keeps them elite. They are willing to let FA walk if need be and make trades. MG just never seemed to be able to pull the trigger.


Yeah, pretty much. Former GMMG downfall was not to make adjustments to ever evolving "landscape" but to put the blame on the onus on the changing "landscape" for why the team stagnated and regressed after being near the top of the mountain.

Trading a future franchise player with Seguin was a bold move. Nothing GMMG did under his tenure came close to that. Probably the "boldest" move in his tenure was that bizarre debacle of the handling the goalie situation and trading The Cory at the last minute after he put his team in a Canucks Corner to have to make a move of one of them that ultimately led him to trade both when all was said and done.


To be fair, I would say trading Hodgson for Kassian was a pretty bold move at the time. Hodgson was the golden boy and Kassian was pretty much an unknown, except for his physicality.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Betamax » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:11 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Teams like Boston, Chicago, SJS, LA just seem to have the ability or willingness, or both, to not only recognize their cap situations and aging core, but to make the moves to effect change that keeps them elite. They are willing to let FA walk if need be and make trades. MG just never seemed to be able to pull the trigger.


Yeah, pretty much. Former GMMG downfall was not to make adjustments to ever evolving "landscape" but to put the blame on the onus on the changing "landscape" for why the team stagnated and regressed after being near the top of the mountain.

Trading a future franchise player with Seguin was a bold move. Nothing GMMG did under his tenure came close to that. Probably the "boldest" move in his tenure was that bizarre debacle of the handling the goalie situation and trading The Cory at the last minute after he put his team in a Canucks Corner to have to make a move of one of them that ultimately led him to trade both when all was said and done.


To be fair, I would say trading Hodgson for Kassian was a pretty bold move at the time. Hodgson was the golden boy and Kassian was pretty much an unknown, except for his physicality.


Okay, that's a fair point. He was former GMMG's first ever pick and was the poster child of the three pillars he wanted his draft picks to espouse: "Character, Integrity and Intelligence."

Apparently, there was some sort of malfunction at the junction. IMO, less to do with Cody himself but how the relationship was managed between the player and the team. More specifically, the relationship between Cody and Coach AV.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigTuna, Bing [Bot] and 4 guests