A Rudderless Ship

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

A Rudderless Ship

Postby Spock » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:59 pm

The Canucks organization is like a rudderless ship - wandering aimlessly without direction.

If the club were "up and coming" - trying to make the playoffs, then you dont trade your best goalie for a project. And you acquire talent at the deadline to push for the playoffs and a run at the Cup.

If the club were trying to rebuild, then you don't offer the aging twins multimillion dollar multiyear deals, and you trade away future or current UFAs to get talent for years to come.

Apparently, the Canucks can't decide what they are doing as they made one trade that made them look like they were rebuilding....and then an absence of trades that would signal a purposeful rebuilding - hence - rudderless. Without direction. Drifting without making headway in either direction.

My suspicion is that the owner is interfering with hockey decisions. Until such time as that ends, the Canucks will flail about without hope of a run at the Cup.

What a friggin' mess.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
User avatar
Spock
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:11 am
Location: Planet Vulcan, City: Reno

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby Jovocop » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Spock wrote:The Canucks organization is like a rudderless ship - wandering aimlessly without direction.

If the club were "up and coming" - trying to make the playoffs, then you dont trade your best goalie for a project. And you acquire talent at the deadline to push for the playoffs and a run at the Cup.

If the club were trying to rebuild, then you don't offer the aging twins multimillion dollar multiyear deals, and you trade aware future or current UFAs to get talent for years to come.

Apparently, the Canucks can't decide what they are doing as they made one trade that made them look like they were rebuilding....and then an absence of trades that would signal a purposeful rebuilding - hence - rudderless. Without direction. Drifting without making headway in either direction.

My suspicion is that the owner is interfering with hockey decisions. Until such time as that ends, the Canucks will flail about without hope of a run at the Cup.

What a friggin' mess.


Isn't Luongo the one who actually wants out??

As for the twins, I don't believe that the Canucks were trying to fully rebuild at the beginning of the season. As a matter of fact, I don't believe that they even think about it in December 2013. Once 2013 ended, the Canucks have fallen from one of the hottest teams in the league to one of the coldest.

To be fair, I would at least give MG this summer to see what he is going to do with the extra cap space.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby rats19 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Good to see you spock.. Its a shame your wisdom was not able to state anymore than you did. I, personaly am disappointed...in the canucks...
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4670
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby Meds » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Tragically logical as always Spock.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby Cornuck » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm guessing Gill is had free rein until this season, until now, the Canucks were an elite team and top contender. Is ownership panicking?

If ownership is out of the mix, then Gill is floundering around thanks in part to a lowered cap, league direction, goalies demanding trades, media rumours and an aging core.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4850
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Chester, NE

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby Spock » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 pm

If the Canucks were an opening hand in 5 card draw poker, you wouldn't stand pat. You'd either fold or draw

The current team does not look good. Standing pat makes no sense at all - if they are trying to make the playoffs then why didnt they shore up the team? And if they aren't, why not move assets to improve the future.

*boggles*
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
User avatar
Spock
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:11 am
Location: Planet Vulcan, City: Reno

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby BurningBeard » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Jovocop wrote:To be fair, I would at least give MG this summer to see what he is going to do with the extra cap space.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs, Gillis will be in a very similar situation to one that Nonis was once in...
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
User avatar
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby Reefer2 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:21 pm

BurningBeard wrote:
Jovocop wrote:To be fair, I would at least give MG this summer to see what he is going to do with the extra cap space.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs, Gillis will be in a very similar situation to one that Nonis was once in...


That to me is the scariest thing to do, you don't give a GM you have no confidence the ability to make trades this important to the future of the team.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby herb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Isn't it pretty obvious the Canucks have folded on the season? They have given the reins to a rookie goaltender, traded their star goaltender and traded away defensive depth. Had they traded away many forwards we wouldn't be able to even ice a roster...

Don't get me wrong, I think things reek in Canuckville right now. There always seemed to be a vision for what the team was going to be until the 2013/14 season. Most of the good posters around here thought this year was going to be a transition year for the organization...now let's see what they transition into.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby mathonwy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Spock wrote:My suspicion is that the owner is interfering with hockey decisions. Until such time as that ends, the Canucks will flail about without hope of a run at the Cup.


If this is indeed the case then it points to GMMG's character more than anything else.

If you're the captain of the ship, and the owners of the ship start second guessing and interfering with your decisions, the only thing (and the right thing) to do is to tender your resignation a la Patty Lafontaine.

I get it that there are only so many NHL GM jobs in the NHL. But Spock is bang on. The Canuck organization is currently performing like a rudderless ship. I, as a fan, have no idea what the organization is doing but I do know where it's heading and that's straight into the gutter.

I had given GMMG a bit of a pass on this season due to the sheer amount of unforeseeable things that have happened (such as the injuries). But the mishandling of the starting goaltender at the Winter Classic, the sudden dearth of goaltending depth with the Luo trade and the absolute nothingness that happened at the trade deadline has revoked that pass.

I actually would have been fine if Vancouver had kept Luo and chalked this season up to a cluster of injuries. But the trading of Luo should have been the first of the falling of dominos. Instead, it just looks like another fuck up.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby Zedlee » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Maybe Canuck ownership is planning a change in the front office? And want to leave the re-build and Kesler trade to someone new?
Zedlee
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby Meds » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:37 pm

While I am extremely disappointed that there wasn't more done here, I am giving MG a pass on deadline day moves. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't when it comes to making a trade.....barring an out of the park fleecing, but it's not likely to happen as Garth Snow didn't have much to offer us right now, even IF one of our players would waive to go to the Islanders.

We just saw what he got for a top 10 goaltender. A project and a 3rd line center.

If he had given up Kesler for Pittsburgh's offer, the one without Maata, would anyone here be happy with that move? I wouldn't have. Even if he gets 2 first round picks out of the Penguins it wouldn't be enough because they are likely to be picks that fall between 24-30 overall.

If nobody is offering anything worthwhile, then why force a deal just for the sake of making a deal? That's stupid.

Luongo's deal was somewhat forced, but that was by the situation, not just because Gillis felt the need to shake things up.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby SKYO » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:51 pm

It's a wasted year, hard to trade players with NTC's hence Torts was brought in, now players want out, but they hold too much control thanks to their NTC's.

If your MG you just don't make trades just for the sake of making trades, sell everyone for propsects, picks.

I believe other teams will take the proper steps after this season is done to make those difficult deals for players such as Kesler, Edler and probably Burrows.

Seems this Torts experiment by MG has it's intended effect of shaking everything up, but it's a bit much, now everyone is unhappy in this once serene, calm, focused environment.

I think MG wanted to shake the core so much that players with a NTC will waive em, however that window of a trade is a small one as players have their choice of where to move.

Kesler only wants an eastern based american team thats a contender I bet, and that is a small group of teams.
--
MG does over value these core players, but at least he won't sell em for scraps, just cause they want out.

Kesler needs to expand his horizon on teams to which he'll accept a trade to if wants outta here faster, otherwise he'll face the wrath of Torts and the relentless crazy fanatic fans for another two years.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3422
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby mathonwy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Meds wrote:While I am extremely disappointed that there wasn't more done here, I am giving MG a pass on deadline day moves. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't when it comes to making a trade.....barring an out of the park fleecing, but it's not likely to happen as Garth Snow didn't have much to offer us right now, even IF one of our players would waive to go to the Islanders.

We just saw what he got for a top 10 goaltender. A project and a 3rd line center.

If he had given up Kesler for Pittsburgh's offer, the one without Maata, would anyone here be happy with that move? I wouldn't have. Even if he gets 2 first round picks out of the Penguins it wouldn't be enough because they are likely to be picks that fall between 24-30 overall.

If nobody is offering anything worthwhile, then why force a deal just for the sake of making a deal? That's stupid.

Luongo's deal was somewhat forced, but that was by the situation, not just because Gillis felt the need to shake things up.


The thing is Meds, all of the media pundits were in agreement that Kesler's trade value would never be as high as it would be this trade deadline.

And you have two traditional hockey rivals reported to be in on Kesler.

With so much leverage, for whatever reason, GMMG still wasn't able to get a deal done.

Comparing the returns for Luo versus the potential returns for Kesler is an unrealistic comparison due to Luo's contract.

The bottom line is GMMG couldn't make the deal happen and the Canucks leverage has decreased because of it.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Postby Meds » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:07 pm

SKYO wrote:It's a wasted year, hard to trade players with NTC's hence Torts was brought in, now players want out, but they hold too much control thanks to their NTC's.

If your MG you just don't make trades just for the sake of making trades, sell everyone for propsects, picks.

I believe other teams will take the proper steps after this season is done to make those difficult deals for players such as Kesler, Edler and probably Burrows.

Seems this Torts experiment by MG has it's intended effect of shaking everything up, but it's a bit much, now everyone is unhappy in this once serene, calm, focused environment.

I think MG wanted to shake the core so much that players with a NTC will waive em, however that window of a trade is a small one as players have their choice of where to move.

Kesler only wants an eastern based american team thats a contender I bet, and that is a small group of teams.
--
MG does over value these core players, but at least he won't sell em for scraps, just cause they want out.

Kesler needs to expand his horizon on teams to which he'll accept a trade to if wants outta here faster, otherwise he'll face the wrath of Torts and the relentless crazy fanatic fans for another two years.


If Torts was such an undesirable shake-up, why did the Sedins re-sign for 4 more years?
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Next

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests