Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: You didn't take that seriously did you? I tried to be obviously sarcastic.
Yes I did.

Plenty Canuckers have lost their minds of late, this has reeked havoc with my sarcasm detector.

Sorry. :oops:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: You didn't take that seriously did you? I tried to be obviously sarcastic.
Yes I did.

Plenty Canuckers have lost their minds of late, this has reeked havoc with my sarcasm detector.

Sorry. :oops:
I thought all the firsts would be a dead give away! :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Torts/MG don't give a shit about luongo, they obviously are treating the team like chess pieces (which is good, I guess), BUT it's what happens from now till the offseason which will show the true face of the mysterious Mike Gillis, whom keeps his cards close to his chest and bag eyes and comes with out with signings and trades that no one can ever predict....I think he loves being unpredictable lol.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:I can't blame Luongo for being 'diappointed', but on the other hand its not his call.

He was asked about it and answered truthfully, but the media has look to controversy where they can.
Yes, LOL at the folks wanting the inmates running the asylum.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:
Cornuck wrote:I can't blame Luongo for being 'diappointed', but on the other hand its not his call.

He was asked about it and answered truthfully, but the media has look to controversy where they can.
Yes, LOL at the folks wanting the inmates running the asylum.
If there was a logical reason why you put in Lack then no problem but why? I'm not even that big of Luongo fan but the only reason I see for taking Lack is the coach trying to stir up the pot and get the players on edge.

Alienating well respected, competent players for no apparent reason won't exactly endear you to current or future players you coach.

...and we wonder why our team is sinking like a stone

edit: Bob McKenzies comment
"VAN obviously went into this eyes wide open and believes upside of Lack starting over Luongo outweighs downside of accompanying controversy," said TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie on Twitter (@TSNBobMcKenzie). "I don't believe for a moment this decision to start Lack is related to any imminent Luongo trade possibility."

The downside of accompanying controversy= alienating our #1 goaltender

Maybe this is how you get a whole bunch of underachieving core members with NTC to waive?
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Daniel badly injured, glass half empty thought: this season is done, plan for the draft and offseason now.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Daniel is probablydone for the season. Guys like Burrows, Hank, Kesler and Edler do not look poised to turn things around offensively.

I'm usually a pretty optimistic fellow, but this season sucks. The guys look drained.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blow a two goal lead, lose Dank, Kesler looks to be near tears, alienate Luongo again. A great day for Vancouver hockey.

The team looks slow and old.
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

herb wrote:Daniel is probablydone for the season. Guys like Burrows, Hank, Kesler and Edler do not look poised to turn things around offensively.

I'm usually a pretty optimistic fellow, but this season sucks. The guys look drained.
I guess we were due a season like this, there have been a number of good ones in a row. That said, this is bad as it gets. Almost every player has been out at some point. Nobody can score. Can't think of anybody having a great season - maaaaybe Lack. Drama all over the place again. Kes wants out. Lu likely still wants out. Daniel now looks like he hurt his knee, and it didn't look good. Close to the playoffs but almost every team around us has at least one and mostly more games in hand.

Did I miss anything?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Could it have anything to do Torts riding his top guys in an Olympic shortened season?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Cornuck wrote:Could it have anything to do Torts riding his top guys in an Olympic shortened season?
Thinking the same thing myself...I remember Torts blowing off the idea that perhaps riding these guys (who aren't spring chickens) with more icetime than they've ever had might rear its ugly head later in the season. Well, here we are and, despite the Olympic break, they are gassed.

Kesler sure looked good out there today. If we don't get a king's ransom back for him I hope Gillis retains him and fixes this. I would just rather Horvat (& Gaunce eventually) study under him in the 3 (& 4 slot) than get an ok return out of desperation. Gillis needs a trade that is too good to refuse in this case. The Beast going to any of those contending teams bumps them to another level.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

For this season, time to start a new hashtag #tradeandtank

Maybe the Sedins get it together next year, and maybe they trade Kesler and get good returns and couple of the young guys emerge next year. So, I'm not at all for a 5 year tank a la the Oilers. But for this season, with it all falling apart, if Kesler is traded (for what better be a great return) the team will be worse short term anyway; how can they not be, he's the only forward playing with confidence (only Darren Dreger thinks he's not playing well, sorry I mean his cousin Nonis gave him that feed) So, shut down Danny no matter what the injury is, and heck if Hanks still has a lingering one, him too. Trade for prospects/picks and drop as far down as we can to get the highest possible pick this year. Then see where we are next year. If we're terrible again next year, there's at least the McDavid sweepstakes, but that's a ways off and always a long shot. Next year will be next year.

For this year ... #tradeandtank
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:Could it have anything to do Torts riding his top guys in an Olympic shortened season?
That would suggest that there was early success when he rode them hardest. The Canucks have had a good December, and that is all.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper, even though they weren't winning every game, the Canucks played a much better team game in the fall of 2013 than they have in 2014. They were faster and more crisp. They haven't been able to do anything right in 2014.

They look like a old timers team out there. Slow. Hard to believe we are only two years removed from a President's Trophy.

A lot of our issues come down to confidence. The guys know they are in tough to win on most nights, and when the other team scores more than a goal they know they are going to be in even tougher. I can't help but think our guys know the ride is over and that they can't get it done.

This team desperately needs some skilled, young players who can bring some enthusiasm and energy to the rink.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

PLAYOFFS UPDATE:

Stars got the last wildcard spot for the western conference playoffs.

Jets/Canucks tied right behind Dallas.