Lack over Lou

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

volsungr
CC Veteran

Lack over Lou

Post by volsungr »

What do you all think about Lack starting today in the outdoor game? When Lou got back from Russia I understood him not playing against the Blues(Jet Lag) then wondered a bit about the the wild game. This seems to me as if the organization is quietly telling him you really are not the number one tender. Lack is hot right now and we know the team needs every point they can get, but maybe Lack is being showcased for the trade deadline.No team is going to eat Lous contract. Why would Tortorella say he does not care if Canada wins gold because Lou is not playing, but not start him in any of the games after coming back?

Just some thoughts

Tom
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Lack over Lou

Post by The Brown Knight »

Real dickheaded move on Gillis/Torts part. I feel terrible for Luongo.

I get the fact that Lack has played well these past few games and that Management wants to go with the hot hand, but Lou never really lost the net with poor play from what I understand (unless I'm wrong? Up until the St.Louis game, I hadn't watched the Canucks since January 2nd when they lost to the Flyers).

This move does nothing but strains the relationship between Lou and Management even more. Such an unnecessary decision.

Management better have a plan in place in moving Lou.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The Brown Knight wrote:Real dickheaded move on Gillis/Torts part. I feel terrible for Luongo.

I get the fact that Lack has played well these past few games and that Management wants to go with the hot hand, but Lou never really lost the net with poor play from what I understand (unless I'm wrong? Up until the St.Louis game, I hadn't watched the Canucks since January 2nd when they lost to the Flyers).

This move does nothing but strains the relationship between Lou and Management even more. Such an unnecessary decision.

Management better have a plan in place in moving Lou.
Force him to retire?
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Other than the fact that they want to ride the hot hand, this one makes little sense. As good as Lou has taken the past couple of years, they had to know this was going to sting. He's the #1 after all, and is it really worth starting another goaltending controversy? I can only imagine how Eddie feels, being put in the middle like this.

Kinda reminds me of that story involving Coffey in Detroit where Bowman made it so uncomfortable to be there that he accepted that trade to Hartford. Wonder if this isn't some tactic to get Lou to broaden his list of trade destinations.

Either way, this - IMHO - just adds to the bad ju-ju surrounding this team this season.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Yep.

If Torts/Gillis heads down this path with Luongo, it could become very similar to a Paul Coffey/Detroit situation from 1996.

It's just such a dick move by Management. Like what the hell are they even thinking here?
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

volsungr wrote:What do you all think about Lack starting today in the outdoor game? When Lou got back from Russia I understood him not playing against the Blues(Jet Lag) then wondered a bit about the the wild game. This seems to me as if the organization is quietly telling him you really are not the number one tender. Lack is hot right now and we know the team needs every point they can get, but maybe Lack is being showcased for the trade deadline.No team is going to eat Lous contract. Why would Tortorella say he does not care if Canada wins gold because Lou is not playing, but not start him in any of the games after coming back?

Just some thoughts

Tom
If they are showcasing Lack for a trade, then you have to think that they would pull Luongo aside and let him know the plan. Gillis and Tortorella aren't that obtuse that they couldn't guess that Lou would take this as a slap in the face after coming back from the Olympics where he got the cold shoulder after being the better goaltender through the first two games.

None of this makes any sense whatsoever unless Lou does know what's going on and is just acting out the part. However, I think that to be highly unlikely.

The other thing to think about is that it's considered somewhat of a dick move to trade players only a couple months after signing them to an extension. It does happen, but not often.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

The idea that they're showcasing Lack for a trade makes even less sense than not starting Lu today. The team is damn lucky they have a young up & coming net minder to fill Cory's shoes.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote:The idea that they're showcasing Lack for a trade makes even less sense than not starting Lu today. The team is damn lucky they have a young up & coming net minder to fill Cory's shoes.
Never said I liked the idea.....I think Lack will actually be a more consistent goaltender than Schneider even. So I really don't want to see him traded.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

ClamRussel wrote:The idea that they're showcasing Lack for a trade makes even less sense than not starting Lu today. The team is damn lucky they have a young up & coming net minder to fill Cory's shoes.
+1

Who here is comfy with Joacim Eriksson coming from Utica to backup a Luongo who gets this kind of treatment from management???
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

It's a stupid move and it's shortsighted. For some reason everyone in the world outside Canuck mgmt can see that. It's just another decision that has pushed fans further away from this team this season. Aquilini must be wondering wtf is going on. At least I hope he is.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

It is stupid on multiple levels. Fine, Lack is playing well, but let's be honest, he actually gave up 2 against Minny and was outplayed by his counterpart in the Wild net. I like Lack (and they are not trading him, no way) but this was the exact time to get Luongo in the net, on the big stage, and get him going into the mix as they move forward toward the end of the season. Yes, of course Torts is focused on the 2 pts, but really, the Canucks with Luongo against Ottawa can't get these two points? I don't doubt for a second Luongo could win this game today; it's absurd to think otherwise. The 2 pts are not in jeopardy if he is in the nets. If I'm in Torts, I put in Luongo for the very reason of getting him going the rest of the way...it's a perfect jump off point.

And now what do we get, more controversy, disgruntlement, distraction, for the rest of the season...I was not in favor of Torts hire last June, warmed up to it at the halfway point, but now we're seeing the repercussions. This is stupid, short-sighted, and in my view has no good ending. Lack plays well, he keeps playing and the Luongo questions continue, Lack does not play well, and then it'll be why didn't you play RL....At this point. Gillis needs to go to Fla and say just give me a freaking 2nd round pick and a longshot prospect so the whole freaking city can move on. Luongo has acted like a gent through all this in my view. It's a shitty way to treat a guy that not that long ago was the centerpiece of the team, the Captain, the guy leading them to the top of the standings...and now, it's the shaft. Yeah, UFA's are going to be climbing over themselves to go to Van!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Boston Canucker wrote:It is stupid on multiple levels. Fine, Lack is playing well, but let's be honest, he actually gave up 2 against Minny and was outplayed by his counterpart in the Wild net. I like Lack (and they are not trading him, no way) but this was the exact time to get Luongo in the net, on the big stage, and get him going into the mix as they move forward toward the end of the season. Yes, of course Torts is focused on the 2 pts, but really, the Canucks with Luongo against Ottawa can't get these two points? I don't doubt for a second Luongo could win this game today; it's absurd to think otherwise. The 2 pts are not in jeopardy if he is in the nets. If I'm in Torts, I put in Luongo for the very reason of getting him going the rest of the way...it's a perfect jump off point.

And now what do we get, more controversy, disgruntlement, distraction, for the rest of the season...I was not in favor of Torts hire last June, warmed up to it at the halfway point, but now we're seeing the repercussions. This is stupid, short-sighted, and in my view has no good ending. Lack plays well, he keeps playing and the Luongo questions continue, Lack does not play well, and then it'll be why didn't you play RL....At this point. Gillis needs to go to Fla and say just give me a freaking 2nd round pick and a longshot prospect so the whole freaking city can move on. Luongo has acted like a gent through all this in my view. It's a shitty way to treat a guy that not that long ago was the centerpiece of the team, the Captain, the guy leading them to the top of the standings...and now, it's the shaft. Yeah, UFA's are going to be climbing over themselves to go to Van!
Well said, the Torts line abo the 2pts is BS ...either that or he is insane. Lu has played well this year, was solid in his Olympic game, well rested after the jetlag...plus he's the no. 1 man. Lack has been great in a backup capacity but has a ways to go...even AV would have dressed Lu for this one!

Canucks brass has brought this shit on themselves.

The circus is back in town.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lack's save pctg over the last 15 games blows Luongo away. Go with the hot hand if your goal is to make the playoffs. I have much more confidence in Lack than Luongo at this point.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I've seen no official confirmation, just it will be announced today. But I suppose that speaks volumes as Torts would just say it's Lu if it was.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lack's save pctg over the last 15 games blows Luongo away. Go with the hot hand if your goal is to make the playoffs. I have much more confidence in Lack than Luongo at this point.
And Tom Sestito has more goals in his past 15 games than anyone on the Canucks top line in their past 21 games. If you want to apply this logic to our goaltending situation, why can't it be applied to the rest of the lineup? It makes the Canucks look like a bunch of hypocrites to coddle our "top" forwards, while benching our goalie.